uniqs

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

481 Authentication failed with usenet/newsgroup server?

Hi!

Is anyone else having problems connecting to EarthLink's usenet/newsgroup service/server right now? It was fine yesterday.

Thank you in advance.

mmmmmmmmmmmm
@charter.com

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Anon

I am, it was good when I went to bed but now not working since early morning? Can't help but wonder if tornados at issue?

chemgreg
join:2000-09-25
Indianapolis, IN

1 recommendation

chemgreg to antdude

to antdude
Yeah, I got the same error. Earthlink support says that they are having backroom problems and are working on it. No time to fix but there is a work ticket out for the problem.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by chemgreg:

Yeah, I got the same error. Earthlink support says that they are having backroom problems and are working on it. No time to fix but there is a work ticket out for the problem.

Thanks. This seems to happen a lot too.
jcl6
join:2011-05-01

1 recommendation

jcl6 to antdude

to antdude
They appear to be aware of it now.

'Kathy B' says: Thank you for contacting EarthLink LiveChat, how may I help you today?

@earthlink.net: I am getting " 481 Invalid username or password" when I try nntp.earthlink.net or news.west.earthlink.net or news.east.earthlink.net using my @earthlink.net userid and password which I validated by loging into Earthlink's webpage.

@earthlink.net: others are reporting a similar problem at »usenet: 481 Invalid username or password

Kathy B: I understand your issue and I will try my best to resolve it.

@earthlink.net: this is for usenet access

Kathy B: I understand that you are getting above error message when you try to access news group through email program. Am I correct?

@earthlink.net: kind of, I am using xnews or binary news reader usenet programs

@earthlink.net: and getting that error today as are others

Kathy B: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Please don't worry as there is a problem on our end. The technicians at the server end are working to fix the problem as soon as possible. Please be assured about the same as we will leave no stone unturned to get it fixed as soon as possible. Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated in this matter.

Kathy B: It should be fixed at the earliest since a lot of people are getting inconvenienced due to it. We request you to please recheck after sometime.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

Yeah, I got similar answer too.

Does EarthLink give us credits for this feature's downtime?
jcl6
join:2011-05-01

jcl6

said by antdude:

Yeah, I got similar answer too.

Does EarthLink give us credits for this feature's downtime?

Suppose one can try, with previous ISP's the answer has always been no and I'm just pleased they still offer usenet feeds.
jcl6

1 recommendation

jcl6 to antdude

to antdude
It appears to be back now

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by jcl6:

It appears to be back now

Confirmed on my side too. So, it was down for almost 17 hours?

chemgreg
join:2000-09-25
Indianapolis, IN

chemgreg to antdude

to antdude
Back up on both coasts.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by chemgreg:

Back up on both coasts.

Both coasts? I thought west and east servers were the same.
echelon3
join:2007-07-31
Elmhurst, NY

echelon3 to antdude

to antdude
It's down for me now, is anyone experiencing the same? I get the "invalid username or password message".

thx

MLandau
@mindspring.com

MLandau

Anon

Yes. The problem is back.
nine16ths
join:2002-03-07
Northfield, OH

nine16ths to jcl6

to jcl6
Same error, and the same boilerplate from Earth(cough)link. Just a few minutes ago.

Sunday morning last, I had the same issues with Usenet and web service. Well I mean, I couldn't get online. With a phone modem. I would achieve a connection and it would drop out immediately. This is with XP Pro, external modem. Checked, changed, shuffled-- nothing.

I booted up a live Puppy Linux cd and lo-and-behold I got a connection. Got online and watched the connection numbers gyrate wildly but I stayed on. I even got Usenet with pan. -shaking my head-

Web service seemed OK. I didn't really verify the Usenet with a binary d/l. I just went to my usual text ngs, and posted and read.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to MLandau

Premium Member

to MLandau
said by MLandau :

Yes. The problem is back.

Same here as of 5:25 AM PDT. Don't forget to tell its technical support!
antdude

antdude

Premium Member

It's back up now for me.

For those who contacted EarthLink's support a couple days ago or previously, did you get a phone call about a survey? I did for the first time. How annoying.