spc
uniqs
kuddles
join:2011-05-02
Ottawa, ON

kuddles to SpongeGuard

to SpongeGuard

Re: Anyone using Unblock-us?

I tried out for this service this weekend and it works as advertised.

In a fit of irony over hearing about how much better the selection in the US is, I hit a bit of a negative with Netflix. It appears almost all the TV shows I was watching on the Canadian version and some movies I was planning on watching are all the ones not available on the US versions. (I was in the middle of Mad Men, Justified and Mythbusters on the Canadian Netflix. The US version doesn't carry the first two at all and only has a "best of" selection of Mythbusters episodes.)

That said, I really like how it works, and I'm happy to be listening to Pandora again. Once PSN is back online, I hope to try out Vudu.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

But with this service it should be easy to switch back and forth between being in Canada or the US if you wanted to pay for both Netflix services. If you want to access Netflix Canada then you could just change your DNS back to your regular ISP settings such as what you get from Rogers/Bell. Or you could even have a "Canadian" PC and a "US" PC. You should also be able to write a batch file to change your DNS settings with the double click of a mouse.

In an email from unblock-us they also said that they have a way of allowing you to access Netflix Canada while using their DNS settings but that was a bit more work but I decided to stick with the US service.
Roofer
join:2010-11-24

Roofer to kuddles

to kuddles
said by kuddles:

Once PSN is back online, I hope to try out Vudu.

Vudu works without PSN (I am not sure about signing up for it initially). It asks you to log into PSN, but you can just ignore it.
kuddles
join:2011-05-02
Ottawa, ON

kuddles to wayner92

to wayner92
said by wayner92:

But with this service it should be easy to switch back and forth between being in Canada or the US if you wanted to pay for both Netflix services.

Yeah, the issue with that is I like to use my television to watch the programming, and since that is using an application instead of just a website, you basically have to re-install the Netflix app every time you switched between the Canadian or US one in addition to resetting the DNS Server settings in your router. I'm too lazy to do all that. I'll just find other ways of getting Mythbusters episodes.
said by Roofer:

Vudu works without PSN (I am not sure about signing up for it initially). It asks you to log into PSN, but you can just ignore it.

Yeah, the problem is that you need to go on PSN to initially install the Vudu service, though, which I never did.