Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

New Speeds!

Just got a call from Bresnan wanting to sell me phone service and Speedplus. Wasn't interested in phone as we already get that through our apartment complex (is part of our rent as they have a PBX). I already have speedplus but asked when our tier will be bumped to 30Mb/s as per the CableVision letter and he checked with his manager who said May 12th! Bring on the extra speed!

ScottInKal

@bresnan.net

Nice! We shall see if it happens on the 12th. So this new speedplus tier is not going to cost more? They are going to upgrade existing speedplus customers?

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

Sweet. I bet we have to reset our cable modems for that to take effect.

Do we have to call it in if we already have the SpeedPlus package?

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

Not entirely sure. I would suspect they would invalidate our current configs or initiate a global reboot of the modems attached to the channels of a CMTS once the configs are changed over. AFAIK there are going to be no package changes as far as pricing goes...I think Speedplus customers are automatically going to be rolled over into the new package from the way he explained it.

ScottInKal

@bresnan.net

Sorry guys...no upgrade for me. Still barely pulling 18.

donh123456

@184.167.17.x

you have to call them and go on their optimum plans.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

Don H...as in the Don H that works as a Bresnan Tier 2 support rep? Anywho - does Bresnan actually support the OOL Tiers so if I call and ask for OOL Boost Plus (»www.optimum.com/order/boost/) I can get it now, or what is the fastest OOL tier that I can get through Bresnan?

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY
reply to Simba7

Looks like 30Mb/s down, 5Mb/s up is now the fastest tier we can get: »west.optimum.com/services/high-s···ne_boost

ScottInKal

@bresnan.net

Problem. You can get the higher speeds but you can't keep the whole home DVR service if you do switch to an optimum plan. So, I will be waiting until the whole home DVR is available from optimum before I switch.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

I have my own WHDVR system using Windows Media Center and Media Center Extenders which beats anything Bresnan could do...6 total streams and 5.5TB worth of storage. I am surprised, however, that they won't let you keep it when you switch.

ScottInKal

@bresnan.net
reply to donh123456

Don is correct. You have to switch over to the optimum package.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY
reply to koolkid1563

I upgraded to Optimum at 11a this morning and they said it would take up to 24 hours to switch. Still isn't done yet but I am leaving for a bit so will have to find out later.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY
reply to donh123456

So I received a call this morning from a tech that said he was at the apartment to upgrade me to Optimum. Apparently in order to upgrade a truck roll is required which was not explained to me over the phone but the guy set me up for an appointment at 9:00a this morning anyways, even though I wasn't there.

Not entirely sure why a truck roll is required, but oh well. I told him I apologize for making him come out but I was out of town and he said when I get back to just call and they would get a tech out to upgrade me.

Tychicus
Children are our most precious resource
Premium
join:2002-01-18
Helena, MT
reply to koolkid1563

I called in fairly early Friday the 13th and was onboard with the (old timers moment here) Optimum enhanced or speed boost by late afternoon that same day so they get an A+ for that one.

I dont watch tv and only have internet but I actually end up paying $2.00 less as they are not charging a modem rental fee so another A in my book for that one too.

I have had a nice upgrade in speed but I think back nearly a decade ago when a small venture company Excite@home gave me what I am getting now( only a much fatter upload pipe ) for only $28.00 a month, dont get me wrong it is still nice to get the speed boosted some.
--
Team Discovery

Garrett21120

join:2007-07-15
Casper, WY

2 edits
reply to koolkid1563

Actually couldn't take Qwest 1.5 anymore - so jumped back over to Bresnan last week and got the Optimum silver/15 Meg internet package myself. Actually was cheaper (since I already had cable tv) than before for both cable & internet.

So far has run great with pretty close to 15M and it seems like they did replace the CMTS (that was the issue before) because my traceRT's have come back with hardly any lag through the network (even at the usually busy evening hours).

So far been working great and pretty happy - both from a price & performance standpoint.

at 9 PM