spc
Search similar:

uniqs
seethransom
join:2009-12-26
New London, CT

seethransom

U-Verse

New London seems to be able to order the high rate DSL packages. Naturally, they seem cheaper. Once you buy the MODEM, and the install fees.

I looked at the prices for their TV service. I figure that is next. It is impressive, however I would choose the U100. It is pretty close to the expanded basic. It included my beloved Cartoon Network, and Comedy Network. Once I add the HD service, and the receiver, I am up to $85. It made me think again about what I pay for, and what I get.

I pay close to $100 a month for TV, and Internet. I have a TiVo, at around the same price as a rental box. ATT would cost me $45 for 12.0Mb (no self install). That is $130 That sounds good, but the prices go up in 6 to 12 months. It just is not worth the $15/month. Perhaps if all the installation, and equipment were free.

I just don't think I want to move to at@t just to go back to Metrocast. That, and I don't want to lose my TiVo. Customer service is the best at Metrocast. Entertainment is a premium, and it seems that no matter how the numbers fit, they are all about the same prices, to start.

Have anyone else considering switching, or those of you close by switch yet?
quantumred
join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT

quantumred

Unfortunately, you probably won't know many parts of the equation until (or rather if) you use both services for a period of time.

For example, I signed up for DSL elite. It was a good price and performance was in the range of what I was looking for. I spoke to a CSR and they told me I was eligible. So I went through a two week process of having the install done. After installation, it turns out I'm not eligible for elite speeds after all, I can only get half the speed. Classic bait and switch. (I did finally get elite after a long battle, and I'm happy with it now)

That's the sort of experience you can't know in advance. Metrocast had their share of issues, especially performance-wise, in my area. I had terrible performance at certain times of the day. Maybe that is resolved now, I don't know, but that is another type of thing I doubt you'll hear about from any CSR. You can only find out after using it.

I guess the point is neither one is a slam-dunk, but on the other hand, be glad if you have the choice of two broadband providers, and two TV providers. It wasn't that long ago I remember many of us in the area had one broadband option (@Home) and then we had nothing when they folded and had to go back to dialup.
howdys_saw
join:2008-03-20
Norwich, CT

howdys_saw to seethransom

to seethransom
My folks live over near Mo Sun and recently my old man was kicking around the idea of the VIP pkg just as a convenience of having one bill. We worked the numbers and it looks like he wouldn't be saving much, maybe $3/mo by dumping ATT phone/dsl and converting to metrocast. He would get faster internet w/VIP pkg but that really doesn't matter to him. A couple of days later a UVerse sales rep was canvassing the neighborhood and knocked on his door around around 730p. He calls me up and tells me the cost for U200, elite dsl, and unlimited phone is $108 tax included after $35/mo promo, install will cost $29. I told him that can not be the case but if he can get it in writing then do it. He assured multiple times that the price quoted included tax. He goes ahead and makes the appointment for install and they provide him paperwork. I get there the next day and read over everything and none of the figures jive and tax is absolutely not included in any estimate. Later in the morning he gets an email confirming his order that comes to $130 before tax but before $25/mo promo (not $35) for one year and install is now $79 (not $29).
He ends up on phone w/new haven customer service who tells him they can give him the pkg for $114/mo for one year, before tax and that is their best offer. He decided to call it off altogether.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to quantumred

Premium Member

to quantumred
I was close to the CO for DSL up here as the crow flies. When they came out the line loop was for some reason not a direct shot per se. They technician actually cut off tons of the lengths so I could get Elite.