Search similar:

uniqs
stufried
Premium Member
join:2003-10-13

stufried

Premium Member

Amaazon App Store

What is going on with the Amazon app store? I think the next step in tethering will eb automatic VPNning when tethering to block them.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

The tether apps are still available on the Amazon app store. I don't know why everything is crying Google is now less open. Android can still install apps from 3rd party sources outside the Market. The Market isn't wide open (it doesn't need to be and shouldn't be) but Android still is.

Or is ATT/VZW locking down 3 party installs as well? This is separate from rooting.

greg
Greg
Premium Member
join:2003-05-30
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

greg

Premium Member

ATT blocks 3rd party installs on all their android phones.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

1 recommendation

joako

Premium Member

said by greg:

So for the user there's no difference in iPhone vs Android? Jailbreak vs Root -- same shit.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to greg

to greg
That sucks. I though ATT opened it back up earlier this year. Is VZW doing this too? I can do can install 3rd party on my EVO w/out being rooted (though I am).

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon
said by xenophon:

The tether apps are still available on the Amazon app store. I don't know why everything is crying Google is now less open. Android can still install apps from 3rd party sources outside the Market. The Market isn't wide open (it doesn't need to be and shouldn't be) but Android still is.

Or is ATT/VZW locking down 3 party installs as well? This is separate from rooting.

You need to at least root. You can keep the stock firmware, but why would you?
dontremember
join:2011-05-07
Virginia Beach, VA

dontremember to greg

to greg
said by greg:

They don't seem to be blocking apps uploaded to the phone over usb. There's a program called adb in the Android developers kit that the kit uses to install home-grown apps. It'll also install downloaded apps from elsewhere. This is with a stock, unrooted Atrix.