how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jnemesh3

join:2008-04-30
Kenmore, WA

Why worry about this?

Most tethering apps required you have root access anyway. If you have root, you also have the ability to sideload apps not available in the Market. So this move, while making it SLIGHTLY more difficult to implement, really will not stop tethering AT ALL!

I have no problem with Google's capitulation to the wireless carrier's request to take down the apps. It IS in violation of your contract (even if you dont agree with it, its what you signed up for!), so these apps should NOT be in the official market. The beautiful thing about Android, though, is that you can always find other sources for the software you run on the phone that you own.

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo

Right, blame the carriers NOT Google... I'm tired of seeing people blame Google for stupid carriers... It is all part of a CONTRACT that the carriers signed with Google and Google has to comply!

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6

said by cooperaaaron:

Right, blame the carriers NOT Google... I'm tired of seeing people blame Google for stupid carriers... It is all part of a CONTRACT that the carriers signed with Google and Google has to comply!

What contract did they sign with Google? Google doesn't make phones, google makes opensource software the phone makers use.

So really it's the phone makers, and that market has obviously been locked down for years. Do smartphones really cost $600? Sure if you as a phone maker only sell to 5 customers.
--
PRescott7-2097

pepe7

join:2003-08-25

Actually, many handsets actually *do* cost quite a lot more than the subsidized price to make. $500-600 isn't unreasonable if you add up all the inputs/R&D/marketing/admin costs. How do I know this? Simple. The company my wife works for manufactures several types of parts used inside the iPhone, Droid, as well as various handsets by other firms. I've seen some of the breakdowns. To repeat ad nauseum, wireless companies do not make money from handset sales, only service. This is old news, folks.