share rss forum feed

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to openbox9

Re: If You Need to Load an App, Then....

The sad part is some of these device restrictions do affect the device, even if it is offline. A good example given in this thread was Verizon crippling phones so that you can't transfer pictures directly to a PC. A more modern example is AT&T preventing .apk installs in Android. Let's say you downloaded the .apk, let's say an open source terminal not on the market, over wifi, then install it in hopes to easily mod a few system parameters, maybe via scripting. Then, as it would turn out, nothing to do with the app happened over their network, but they are still trying to prevent you from doing it. Does that sound right to you? The crippling goes far beyond what you do on their network with many phones. I am a happy owner of a custom ROMed Captivate. It has tethering, but I seldom ever use it. I have a Verizon Mifi for that. Still, I do much more with my phone with this custom ROM than I possibly could have with the crippled one. Guess what? Nothing I generally do even bends any of the rules in my ToS. So why should the stock ROMs not allow me to do it if what I do abides by my ToS? Lowest common denominator? While not necessarily greed, they should simply just enforce the ToS, not cripple devices to hell assuming everyone will violate the ToS. A good example is the tethering option being right in front of me at all times, but I don't use it. Only use it ever got was some testing(just curious to see if it worked well, which it did) before T introduced the tethering plans. After that short test, I turned my Mifi back on.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
japan
kudos:2

said by Selenia:

A good example given in this thread was Verizon crippling phones so that you can't transfer pictures directly to a PC.

I agree, that was annoying, but that hasn't been relevant for a while now has it?
said by Selenia:

A more modern example is AT&T preventing .apk installs in Android. Let's say you downloaded the .apk, let's say an open source terminal not on the market, over wifi, then install it in hopes to easily mod a few system parameters, maybe via scripting.

Changing most system parameters will require root, which avoids AT&T's limitation on sideloading apps. Having stated that, a vast majority of consumers will never have this issue since they'll be grabbing apps from the Market.
said by Selenia:

Does that sound right to you?

I will agree that AT&T stepped over the line a little on blocking sideloaded apps, but I doubt that will change since as I mentioned, most consumers will even know the restriction exists.
said by Selenia:

So why should the stock ROMs not allow me to do it if what I do abides by my ToS? Lowest common denominator?

Yes.
said by Selenia:

While not necessarily greed, they should simply just enforce the ToS, not cripple devices to hell assuming everyone will violate the ToS.

Ask a hundred smartphone users on the street if they believe their smartphones are crippled and let me know what you find. I'm betting that a vast majority of consumers don't have any issues with their devices and are generally happy.