share rss forum feed

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

[Sci-Fi] [Rave] Farscape

I know, I know, welcome to 1999. But, I had recently discovered that Netflix allows you to stream all the episodes of Farscape (minus the peacekeeper wars). So a few weeks ago, I started watching it. I am now beginning season 4, and I love this series. Sure, a few episodes have been sort of corny, but the overall story is very good. It's too bad I didn't get into this series until now.

The best part of the series? Everyone has an Australian accent. I find that awesome. It's too bad I am almost done watching this show. I've been tearing through the episodes, sometimes watching multiples per day.

Oh, and I might add that another reason I enjoy this series is because Claudia Black doesn't piss me off. I detested her Vala character in SG-1. She is much better in this series.
--
What smells like blue?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

It was a fun show. Kind of hoping they do a reboot. Maybe with the baby now a teenager searching for his parents and a way to earth.

I agree it sucks that Peace keeper wars isn't streamed.

Netflix puzzles me with their date limits on shows. I had Silk Stalkings in my ques and it got pulled on May 1st. Now it's just DVD only, where as before it was streaming and DVD.

My kids, who were born in 1999, also sat down with me to watch the show. They enjoyed it.

Edit:
I tried getting them to watch LEXX, but they said it's to "fake""cheap".
--
To All Real Dads. For All Real Moms Every Real
Service.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by Snakeoil:

Netflix puzzles me with their date limits on shows. I had Silk Stalkings in my ques and it got pulled on May 1st. Now it's just DVD only, where as before it was streaming and DVD.

That's the studio's/networks's/content owner's doing, not Netflix's, I'm pretty sure.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

That is my train of thought as well. Pretty sad for an old TV show to get treated that way. Unless they are going to have a blue ray release of it, though I doubt it.
--
To All Real Dads. For All Real Moms Every Real
Service.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Omega

I very much liked Farscape and Claudia Black was great in it (I liked Lexx too). Claudia Black basically did the same comedy relief that RDA did in SG1 and I never much cared for it regardless of who was doing it but since I liked Claudia Black I could live it. RDA, not as much,....

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
reply to Omega

For some of the old stuff they show over and over on Sy-fy, why can't they pick up Farscape? I'd love to watch it again.
--
Humanity - The greatest natural disaster of all time.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY
reply to Omega

A friend of mine suggested I watch this but I just can't get past the corny puppets.
--
Any it new they in one. You here for mine you here.
-JV

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

1 edit
reply to Omega

Great show. But after this was canceled I was done with Sci-Fi channel for good. For reasons that elude me and many, Sci-Fi managed to build up a pretty nice following for several shows only to turn around an cancel them. It was like they sudden had to pay more if they were more popular or they didn't want a following. There was quit a bit out cry from the fans when Farscape was canceled. Just just googled and found this rant on the topic »www.watchfarscape.com/forums/for···php?f=88

There are other shows that were similarly built up only to be canceled. They elude my memory now but another one I can remember was The Invisible Man. Hopefully options like Netflix will give these types of shows a new life. A future where we can buy get content directly from the content providers and not broadcasters like Sci-Fi is something that is coming, eventually.
--
Mission Accomplished

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to Omega

I just started to watch it this past week on Netflix. Watched 4 episodes and plan to watch many more. Great series thus far.

pb5k
Can't Triforce
Premium
join:2005-11-16
Glendale, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Omega

I liked Farscape as well. The overall story arc was excellent, though I found the pacing of some episodes to be too slow. Thankfully they closed the cliffhanger from season 4, albeit with a Peacekeeper movie that was great, but too short. A Farscape season 5 would have been amazing.

Using the muppets as characters paradoxically made the show more realistic IMO. CGI is way over used these days, and in many ways puppets are a better way to go in terms of realism. Looking back at Babylon 5, the CGI portions aged very badly. I think Pilot and Rigel will still look great 20 years from now, and I was actually annoyed to see a CGI rigel in Peacekeeper Wars.

I did like that the human space program was international, and the earth settings included places besides Los Angeles/San Francisco or NYC. I know San Francisco is a strange place and it's convenient for film makers, but I've seen southern california in science fiction 9999999 times...there are other locations on earth.
--
"I'm just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human." - John Trudell

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to sonofjay

said by sonofjay:

There are other shows that were similarly built up only to be canceled. They elude my memory now but another one I can remember was The Invisible Man.

Yes, Invisible Man is another good show that we've never had the chance to see re-aired.
--
Humanity - The greatest natural disaster of all time.

Tenar

join:2008-01-02
Midland, ON
reply to Omega

I was watching it on Netflix too it's an awesome show. I wish I had caught it during the original run.

Varlik
Without Honor You Will Never Be Free
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Anderson, SC

2 recommendations

reply to Silvanos

said by Silvanos:

A friend of mine suggested I watch this but I just can't get past the corny puppets.

Actually the only reason I watched the first episode was expecting to see a flaming fiery death since the Jim Henson company creature shop was involved. I'm sure everyone remembers Return of the Jedi that had Muppet overload. Well I was expecting that to the hundredth degree. Visions of Pigs In Space ran through my mind.

Imagine my surprise when something unique appeared before my eyes that didn't suffer from CGI overload. Not bad for taking the basic Sci-Fi premise of man lost/stuck in another world or time like Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers.

That and the Invisible Man being cancled really PO'd me.
--
"Sir SIR! We don't use DHCP servers. We only use IBM & Microsoft servers." From there my call to tech support went steadily downhill.

--Turn the lights down in your soul cut the power to your heart see the carcass in its dying rages.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

reply to Silvanos

said by Silvanos:

The puppets are not overused. Rygel, a puppet, is one of my favorite characters in the series. Granted, there are some REALLY bad alien costumes in the series. But, as the series moves on, this fades.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely some corny aspects to the show. I don't feel like the show truly found its way until the 2nd season. Even then, there were some duds. I just watched the episode "John Quixote," and I felt like this was the worst episode of the series. But, in the same mass viewing session, I also watched "Kansas" and "Terra Firma," probably the two best episodes I have seen.

What's bad is that I am watching these episodes so fast, I will not be able to savor the series. But dammit, it's so good I can't stop myself.
--
What smells like blue?

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Omega

I loved this show during its first run, alas I only watched it when I had cable, which was off and on. Here's another one to add to my list to "watch" for later viewing again until the Deathstar finally institutes data caps.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Ssid Silver

join:2010-11-04
reply to Omega

One of my favourite shows visually, so much work was put into creating the sets and costumes. I'd love to see more puppets and less CGI in sci-fi/fantasy today. The Wizard of Oz allegory in the beginning of the series was kind of neat especially how Crichton had already made an enemy in his first moments through the wormhole.

You could say the show borrows heavily from the Star Trek franchise for example (e.g. Luxans=Klingons, Moya=Tin Man) but it's a very different take on life in the universe than any of the ST shows. I liked how the 'bad guys' often ended up becoming allies later on to some degree or another.

A couple more seasons would have been great but the show still had a decent run, you can't really say it was killed off before it had time to develop like Firefly was.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to Omega

Loved the show.

Loved Crichton's one-liners, quips, and comebacks. And his intensity when he was serious.

Loved Scorpius, one of the best villains in sci-fi:

With John's brain wide open and at his utter mercy:
"You've cost me much, and I do not suffer disappointment well.
I condemn you, John Crichton... to live!,
...so that your thirst for unfulfilled revenge will consume you.
Goodbye."
- Scorpius

Such a great line, delivered with perfection. At first mirthful, followed by the coldest contempt and hate. Love it!

...clocks in about 7:42 in this snippet:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua_5Vh-q···15D52B53

Kenash0713

join:2011-05-24
Beantown, MA
reply to Omega

I have no idea why they cancelled this show it was awesome. I didn't get on board until like the end of season 2 but from then on in I watched all the episodes as they were released. Like all shows on TV some episodes weren't great but filler episodes are what they are.

Edit: Bring back Firefly!
--
"Let blockheads read what blockheads wrote" - Warren Buffet

Reno7
Premium
join:2008-10-26
Keller, TX
reply to Omega

I always wanted to watch this show but never found a proper "set" to download because of the age of it. Even with Netflix now though I'm all paranoid of my new ATT DSL Cap. Although last month I violated it by 30GB and haven't heard a peep about it yet.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO

Well, it's standard quality so I believe each episode streaming is around 400MB. 88 episodes in the series. Depending on how fast you burn through the episodes (I admit I sometimes had 3+ hour marathons) will dictate your cap.
--
What smells like blue?

Reno7
Premium
Keller, TX
reply to Omega

I think I might start a Netflix subscription tonight and try it then. I was also always curious about this show also because of the cross appearances between it and Warehouse 13 (which I really like).

Ssid Silver

Did some of the actors appear on both shows? I hadn't realized that Rockne O'Bannon had worked on Warehouse 13.

Reno7
Premium
Keller, TX
reply to Omega

opps I was totally wrong about W13. That was some other show I've never watched that crossed with it. Of course you can see the HG Wells lady from W13 topless in Dexter though.

I'm half way into the first season of Farscape and totally hooked on it now. I just read up on the show a bit and I can't believe it was yet another Sci-Fi show that was cancelled before it's time. It sounds like it actually took a massive fight to get a sum-up movie filmed so the show didn't end on a cliffhanger.

I know (for example) True Blood on a pay channel is still getting 5 million viewers per episode. Maybe there's some hope a good new SciFi show could exist in the same way?

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO

Just wait till the 2nd season when the show finally finds its niche and the episodes become even better. The 2nd season is when the show starts becoming more of a serial series and not a stand-alone episode series.
--
What smells like blue?

Ssid Silver

reply to Omega

O'Bannon did work on at least the pilot for W13 though, I hadn't realized that until your comment. Funny because a few days ago my gf was just saying that W13 was a bit like Farscape in some ways.

Kenash0713

join:2011-05-24
Beantown, MA

said by Ssid Silver:

O'Bannon did work on at least the pilot for W13 though, I hadn't realized that until your comment. Funny because a few days ago my gf was just saying that W13 was a bit like Farscape in some ways.

O'Bannon created Warehouse 13.

"Sci Fi Channel Adds Rockne OBannons Warehouse 13"
»www.beyondhollywood.com/sci-fi-c···ouse-13/

"It was conceived by Farscape’s Rockne O’Bannon"
»www.imdb.com/title/tt1132290/news?year=2008
--
"Let blockheads read what blockheads wrote" - Warren Buffet

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Reno7

said by Reno7:

I always wanted to watch this show but never found a proper "set" to download because of the age of it. Even with Netflix now though I'm all paranoid of my new ATT DSL Cap. Although last month I violated it by 30GB and haven't heard a peep about it yet.

I've been downloading like crazy until them fools institute their caps, so I wouldn't worry yet. Also, here at dslreports.com there's a U-Verse forum that talks about the caps, as an FYI.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Ssid Silver

1 edit
reply to Kenash0713

OK, I had read that he wrote the pilot but did not know that he created the show. Makes sense though.

There is a decent x264 mkv Farscape rip out there at full DVD res, total with peacekeeper wars is 54.4 gb.

Reno7
Premium
Keller, TX
reply to Omega

I'm a bit into season 2 now. Thoughts:
1) Obnoxious little green muppet aliens that fart helium are just awesome!
2) Captain Kirk had it right - blue alien chicks are hot!
3) The first episode of season 2 was the most irritating thing I've ever seen. They end Season 1 on a massive cliffhanger and then come back not even bothering to say what happened. I don't think I've ever seen a season ending cliffhanger just ignored when the next season starts. Heck I think I'm on the 3rd or 4th episode of season 2 and aside from the 1st episode flashback, they haven't even mentioned the "baby". Like they just went back to normal one at a time episodes like there never was a baby. I mean the ship was all hot to go looking for the baby end the 1st episode and then then the next episode is "we came to this planet because we heard on the trading planet another lombax (sp?) was here... WTF?
4) for SG1 seasons 9 and 10... how come the dude looks like he didn't age 1 day but Claudia Black looks like she aged A LOT?

Totally loving the show though - most excellent.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO

Rygel is prehaps my favorite character in the show.

As for your third remark, I read about the episode 201 after I watched it. In short - they screwed up. It was meant to air later, but it didn't. Episode 202 is the true premier. The show sets itself on course. As for the baby ship, it will be addressed.
--
What smells like blue?