how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Billmn

join:2011-05-04
Fort Worth, TX

Using Netflix with Verizon FIOS

I'm curious how I would go about using the streaming Netflix service. I just signed up for Verizon FIOS tv service and the dvr I have is a Motorola QIP7232 2.

If it matters, the tv is a Samsung LN46C610 and the blu ray player is a Samsung BD-C5500.

I'm not real tech-savvy and I don't have any idea how this stuff works.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
The QIP-7232 does not support Netflix streaming. However, you can use your blu-ray player to stream Netflix. To do so, the blu-ray player needs a wired or wireless connection to the internet.

You have a number of options for connecting the blu-ray player:
•Place the VZ router near the blu-ray player and use a cat5 patch cord.
•Use a wireless adapter on the blu-ray player.
•»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Billmn

Fort Worth, TX
well, darn it, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.

the router is in my office and the tv is in another room. so, I suppose I'm stuck with the wireless adapter.

would I get pretty decent streaming speed going through the wireless adapter?

Duckbacker

join:2005-06-16
Nesconset, NY
reply to Billmn
I get excellent streaming with the FIOS Actiontec wireless router.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Billmn
Your Fios services will not affect your netflix.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to Billmn
You could also buy a MOCA coax to ethernet bridge. Then you would have wired network connectivity for your DVD player.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Billmn
said by Billmn:

well, darn it, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.

the router is in my office and the tv is in another room. so, I suppose I'm stuck with the wireless adapter.

would I get pretty decent streaming speed going through the wireless adapter?

Netflix HD streaming is low bandwidth at under 10mb/s. You should have zero problems stremaing over wireless.

I can even stream Netflix to my TiVos with an old 802.11G wireless adapter with zero issues.

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA
+1...do it all the time hooking my laptop via hdmi directly to the set. love the service...cannot wait to get a new tv with the built in capability!
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Billmn
If anything, FiOS is about the best thing going for streaming Netflix!

I use an AppleTV for streaming Netflix, but as has already been intimated, there are a variety of solutions you can opt for including network enabled BluRay players that work with Netflix and dedicated streaming devices. We actually started out using our Wii, but moved up to better PQ with the Apple device.

bjrrtx

join:2009-08-19
Dallas, TX
reply to Billmn
We bought a new LB BluRay player a few months ago and it has builtin WiFi and widgets for things like Netflix. It seems to work well for streaming. I selected the LG model after reading reviews of various brands and finding that the LG was rated best for streaming.

We have a fairly new WiFi router but I believe it is limited to 802.11g in order to maintain compatibility with my oldest laptop.

I have a DVR, BD player, and receiver all connected to my TV and operated by a programmed Logitech Harmony remote so using the BD player for streaming is just as easy as if my TV had it built-in.

Billmn

Fort Worth, TX
reply to Jackarino
Ok, well it sounds like the wireless adapter is the way to go

joe01880

join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA
reply to Billmn
said by Billmn:

I'm curious how I would go about using the streaming Netflix service. I just signed up for Verizon FIOS tv service and the dvr I have is a Motorola QIP7232 2.

If it matters, the tv is a Samsung LN46C610 and the blu ray player is a Samsung BD-C5500.

I'm not real tech-savvy and I don't have any idea how this stuff works.

If you own a TiVo, a Blu-ray player a PS3 or have a TV the supports it all of those components may stream Netflix.

Ibecowtippin

@dhs.gov
reply to Billmn
No worries, it's not too hard to do.

Option one - Get a MOCA bridge. I did this for our downstairs TV that has Netflix built in. I couldn't get a good signal from the router, so I split the cable with a 1 GHZ splitter, sent one line to the cable box, the other to the MOCA bridge. Give it a minute, plugged the TV into the bridge, and had internet access. It has been best for us. Set you back about 90 dollars or so.

Option two - Use wireless adapter. We do this for our upstairs room which gets a better signal than downstairs (less walls in the way between the set and router). We have no problems streaming wirelessly and it works great.

I am actually thinking of picking up another MOCA bridge though in the future, just to put in the bedroom too.

The guys and gals here are very good at helping you set it up. Before I came to the board, I had no clue about the MOCA bridge option, but it's the best. In fact, we have it hooked up in our family room to the TV, Blu-Ray, and Xbox. Sometimes, I plug in the laptop and hook it up to the TV as well to stream online episodes. Just had to get the MOCA bridge and a switch to hook up the other devices as the bridge only has one ethernet port.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
Ibecowtipppin, can you share the model MOCA bridge and splitter you have? It'd be great to buy one that someone can say has been used successfully!
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What is a MOCA Bridge?
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
Any number of posters have done this successfully. Check the feedback on the second FAQ.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Billmn

Fort Worth, TX
It's all a little over my head. Between the wireless adapter or the MOCA bridge, is one considered a better way to go?

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
IMO nothing beats a wired connection but wifi does serve a purpose. Sometimes cordless phones could affect your wifi connection and distance is always a factor with the ActionTec wifi. I helped a family member replaced the wifi connection for their son’s PS3 a few weeks back with the Actiontec Moca adapter, it works nicely. That said I have two Netflix ready devices, one is wired and the other is wireless. The wireless Netflix device works perfectly when streaming Netflix from my non-VZ router.

fiosman

@verizon.net
reply to Billmn
said by Billmn:

It's all a little over my head. Between the wireless adapter or the MOCA bridge, is one considered a better way to go?

You can also use a powerline adapter.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to Billmn
Here's one thing I am unclear on from the FAQ. I have an existing wireless actiontec router.

In my family room I have a coax. Can I just split the coax, connect the MOCA to the devices as stated (coax to TV and ethernet to ethernet device) and then go? Or do I need to go into the network settings and do any network setup per the FAQ?

In other words, if my coax already works and would work for a regular coax internet hookup, do I still need to do any network reconfig work (which is the part I worry about re: screwing up my home network!)
--

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to HD_Ride
said by HD_Ride:

IMO nothing beats a wired connection but wifi does serve a purpose. Sometimes cordless phones could affect your wifi connection .............................

That's why its best to have a DECT 6.0 cordless phone which uses frequencies in the 1.9GHz range.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to fishacura
said by fishacura:

Here's one thing I am unclear on from the FAQ.

I'm not clear on which part of the instructions in the FAQ you're referring to.

You refer to "an existing wireless Actiontec router". Are you referring to your primary router, or to a space router you want to use for a MOCA bridge?

If you're referring to a spare Actiontec router, then you want to follow section 2 of the instructions in the FAQ. Pay special attention to not connecting the second Actiontec to the coax until instructed to do so.
--

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA
reply to Billmn
I stream nextflix via wireless to a laptop with hdmi out and to an appletv, works fine over my 15/5 fios...
--
.:|:. aztec being aztec...™

Billmn

Fort Worth, TX
reply to More Fiber
so, between the wireless adapter or the MOCA bridge, is either a better option?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
MOCA will give you the speed and reliability of a wired connection.

Wireless is primarily for portability and convenience.
--

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to Billmn
More Fiber - I have an existing actiontec running my home network....so do I just do step #1 and everything else takes care of itself?
--

Billmn

Fort Worth, TX
reply to More Fiber
awesome, that's just what I was looking for

thanks

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to fishacura
said by fishacura:

I have an existing actiontec running my home network

I'm still unclear exactly what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to extend an ethernet connection into a room that has only coax?

There are several possibilities:

1) Move your existing Actiontec into the same room as the TV. This assumes you WAN connection is provisioned over coax. Simply purchase a 1x2 1Ghz splitter. Connect the splitter to the coax from the wall. Connect the STB to one tap on the splitter. Connect the Actiontec to the other tap on the splitter.

2) You want to keep your existing Actiontec where is it, but have a cat5 connection near your TV. In this case there are two alternatives:

2a) Purchase a simple MOCA bridge. Follow part 1 in the FAQ.

2b) Purchase a second Actiontec to use as a MOCA bridge. Install it by the TV with a 1x2 splitter, use the instructions in part 2 of the FAQ.
--

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by HD_Ride:

IMO nothing beats a wired connection but wifi does serve a purpose. Sometimes cordless phones could affect your wifi connection .............................

That's why its best to have a DECT 6.0 cordless phone which uses frequencies in the 1.9GHz range.

take a look at this

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to Billmn
Morefiber...sorry I am being dense and not explaining myself but it's partly because Home Networking is far from my stong point. I have an existing Actiontec wireless in my study. I have a coax in my family room. I'd like to be able to hardwire the TV in my family room to the net. So I gathered from this that one way would be to split the family room coax, put one end into the cable box and the other end into an MOCA...then output ethernet from MOCA to ethernet of TV. So hope that is stated well. Based on that, here is my question:

Now it's all hooked up right....will the home network automatically recognize the new family room device or is there a bunch of software tinkering I need to do at 192.168.1.1 That's the part I am worried about as I don't want to bring the rest of the house down.
--

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
Thanks. That's clear.

quote:
the other end into an MOCA bridge...then output ethernet from MOCA bridge

MOCA refers to the type signal on the coax. A MOCA bridge converts between a MOCA signal on coax and an ethernet signal on cat5.

You have a choice of two types of MOCA bridges.
•A dedicated MOCA bridge from the list of MOCA bridges in this FAQ
•Or picking up a used Actiontec router on ebay and use that as a MOCA bridge.

The first option is the simplest. With an Actiontec ECB2200 MOCA bridge, you simply connect the cables as you describe and you're done. Cost ~$80. Step by step instructions are in part 21 of this FAQ.

The second option is to pick up a used Actiontec MI424WR router on eBay for ~$20. Revision does not matter. If you choose this option, there is some configuration of the new Actiontec required. This is described in part 2 of the same FAQ.

In either case, no changes are needed to your primary router.
--