Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

How long is my record?

Just a little curious. What information is Comcast archiving about me, and how long do they keep it?

For example, my IP address is dynamic, and changes at least monthly. The logs that correlate those past IP addresses to me, how long are they kept?

Are DNS records kept, and for how long?

I realize that information about me is necessary for some services, like on my Android. If I want to know where the closest McDonalds is to me, I have to tell them where I am. I don't have a problem with these companies knowing things about me. I have a problem with this information being archived, and kept for reasons that don't benefit me. I am the only one who can decide what is beneficial to me. I just want to know.
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
I seriously doubt that anybody hanging out in this forum knows the answers you seek. They are beyond technical, and go to Corporate Policy; and I doubt that they would, knowingly, reveal the details of that policy. But I guaranty you will get pages of speculation!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
It is not typical for a dynamic IP to change monthly on Comcast unless you are changing a MAC address of the device connected to the modem that often. I have had mine almost 2 yrs.
Expand your moderator at work

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to Rexter

Re: How long is my record?

In this day and age of high-tech, total anonimity using cell phones, computers etc. of any kind is a thing of the past. Monthly changes of IP addresses doesn't help much. IMO.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Rexter
said by Rexter:

Just a little curious. What information is Comcast archiving about me, and how long do they keep it?

Whatever is required by federal law.

According to Wikipedia, the answer is two years

See the link for what they have to retain.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommun···d_States
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to jaynick
You're viewpoint is quite common, but I've never understood this logic.

The fact is that your privacy is more under attack than ever, from every angle. Therefor we should just stop worrying about it.

I'm sorry, but this kind of defeatist attitude, I just don't have it in me. I'm not looking for absolute anonymity, but I think in today's climate we have to be more vigilant than ever.
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Rexter:

You're viewpoint is quite common, but I've never understood this logic.

The fact is that your privacy is more under attack than ever, from every angle. Therefor we should just stop worrying about it.

I'm sorry, but this kind of defeatist attitude, I just don't have it in me. I'm not looking for absolute anonymity, but I think in today's climate we have to be more vigilant than ever.

You are correct, we all should be vigilant but to be 100% anonymous you can't use a cell phone or turn on a computer. All you can do is follow the best practices and use common sense. What do you you think happens when you google something? When you make a phone call the phone co. has a record of it. When you visit a web site your ISP knows, etc.
--
jimmy

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to JohnInSJ
That link provided is really quite vague. Sounds like ISPs really don't know what they're supposed to keep. Yet, I'm sure they are keeping much more than that for their own purposes.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by Rexter:

That link provided is really quite vague. Sounds like ISPs really don't know what they're supposed to keep. Yet, I'm sure they are keeping much more than that for their own purposes.

I didn't write it, it is what it is. You can start digging into the relevant laws and improve the wikipedia entry if you wish.

Your initial question was how long and how much. How long is 2 years. How much is "probably more than you'd like."

I'm thinking the desire to be anonymous and the desire to have access to the internet is mutually exclusive. At this point, you can have the illusion of anonymity if it comforts you, but to be truly anonymous you'll be completely off the grid, and we won't be answering your questions on a public web forum
--

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to jaynick
My original post was not "How can I be 100% anonymous on my Comcast connection." Nor did I mention that I have an issue with what information is being collected. In fact, in my first post, I pointed out one example of a relevant reason to collect information. But I adamantly disagree with the notion that if we are to use the internet we must agree to, and believe it's acceptable for every thing we do, to be tracked, and used for the purpose, and benefit of someone else. Just as with a phone call, when you are on the Internet, I believe you have a right to a reasonable assumption of privacy.

If I go to Google, Google can track my searches....somewhat. If I go to Bing, Bing can track my searches... somewhat. If I have a Facebook profile, Facebook knows who my friends, and family are.... somewhat. When I post on BBR, BBR knows my ideas, and viewpoints.... somewhat. You ISP is in a position of trust because they have the potential to track everything. With man-in-the-middle, and deep packet inspections, they even have the theoretical ability to snoop in your encrypted connections to your bank, your VOIP calls. Such a position of trust demands transparency, and accountability.

--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to JohnInSJ
Even being off the grid didn't help Bin Laden as he sleeps with the fishes.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to Rexter
wow dude...take the foil hat off.......isps arent sniffing packets....thats what the feds do......the isps just log your ip.....if the feds need it cause a hack came from your ip address, then they supply the account info tied to that ip..... all isps are the same.....
--
I'm better than you!

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to jaynick
said by jaynick:

Even being off the grid didn't help Bin Laden as he sleeps with the fishes.

No runners, either...
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Rexter
said by Rexter:

My original post was not "How can I be 100% anonymous on my Comcast connection."

I didn't say it was.

I simply made an assertion which I believe is true. If you want to be anonymous, the internet isn't the place to do it. If someone needs to know who you are, they will, within minutes of requesting that information.

Possibly seconds, if you are in the US.

If we're worried about ssl connections getting cracked by our ISPs, I think we can pretty much forget about ever doing anything other than trading goods and services face to face at the local renaissance fair. Some of those people are way off the grid. But then again, you know where to find them, so maybe not.
--

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to Rexter
Here's a link to a 2007 Comcast guide for Law Enforcement.

»www.fas.org/blog/secrecy/docs/handbook.pdf

You might be able to obtain a newer one by invoking your states freedom of information act and requesting this document from your police dept.
--
PRescott7-2097

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to gar187er
Thanks for the advice. I hardly see how taking off my foil hat will keep my packets from being sniffed.....

I disagree, about all ISPs being the same. Some have found better ways to make money from your personal data than others, and that's ok, it keeps my Internet bill down. I just think we have the right to know.

You really might consider the foil hat, since you just don't want to know. Besides they really can be quite stylish!

--

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to joako
Awesome, finally some useful information in this thread!

It would be interesting to see an updated document.

I had a chance to read through this manual, and everything in here looks reasonable to me. I have no major issues with what they are doing. I do wonder why this document is Confidential. Why can't they just be transparent?

One question was specifically answered.

- Comcast currently maintains Internet Protocol address log files for a period of
180 days. If Comcast is asked to respond for information relating to an
incident that occurred beyond this period, we will not have responsive
information and can not fulfill a legal request. (Comcast can process and
respond to preservation requests as outlined below in this Handbook.)

- Because Comcast’s system of allocating IP addresses uses Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocol (DHCP), its subscribers are not assigned a single, constant
or static IP address. Instead, a dynamic IP address is assigned and has the potential
to change several times throughout the course of a month. As a result, it is
necessary to include in all requests for information the specific date and time
of incident when an IP address was alleged to have been used.

- Comcast currently maintains its IP log files for a period of 180 days. If asked to
make an identification based upon an IP address that was used more than 180 days
prior to receipt of the request, Comcast will not have information to provide.
(Comcast can process preservation requests as outlined below in this Handbook.)

Really interesting stuff, thanks! Would you like me to make you a foil hat as a thank you?
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Rexter

said by Rexter:

Awesome, finally some useful information in this thread!

It would be interesting to see an updated document.

I had a chance to read through this manual, and everything in here looks reasonable to me. I have no major issues with what they are doing.

This document PREDATES the proposed SAFETY Act of 2009, and is therefore likely to be far less useful then you think.

I suggest you make the information request under the freedom of information act, if you want to have actual current information.

Specifically the potential for a federal requirement to be able to map a user to every IP address ever used by that user to cover in detail a span of 2 years means that most large (and even small - I know Sonic.net implemented this as well) ISPs went ahead and expanded their record keeping to cover that timespan. So the 180 day thing could easily be a pleasant memory of the past.

Which means if someone wants to map you to a torrent (or to a torrent proxy service, or to any proxy service) they may well be able to do so going back two years. Or any other activity they may wish to explore, so long as they can subpoena the records from your ISP.

There is no law that requires a limit on the span of time the records for your IP assignment are kept. As it's a fairly trivial and fully automated database (one record with two fields - ip address and timestamp, logged whenever the IP changes for an account) for an ISP to gather, if I were to be conservative I'd assume its more likely to be for the life of your account.
--

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to JohnInSJ

Yea, you're right. It is outdated. I'll look into getting my hands on something more current.

Don't worry, I won't post it here. As most on BBR apparently would rather not know...
--

LarryE

join:2000-07-29
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
said by Rexter:

Yea, you're right. It is outdated. I'll look into getting my hands on something more current.

Don't worry, I won't post it here. As most on BBR apparently would rather not know...

And even if you do get an updated document, there's nothing you can do to change anything anyway.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
Good God! Almost every post made in here is saturated with assumptions. You know what they say about assumptions!

Have we come to a time in society where someone can't just ask a question? I don't want to do anything about it. I just want to know.

Well guys, this thread is only going to get more idiotic, and my A.D.D. is kicking in, so I'm going to leave it to you.

Thanks joaka for pointing out such a document exists.

out
--

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
said by Rexter:

You know what they say about assumptions!

Assumptions make an "ass" out of "u" and "mptions"?