joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter

Re: How long is my record?

Here's a link to a 2007 Comcast guide for Law Enforcement.

»www.fas.org/blog/secrecy ··· book.pdf

You might be able to obtain a newer one by invoking your states freedom of information act and requesting this document from your police dept.

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter

Awesome, finally some useful information in this thread!

It would be interesting to see an updated document.

I had a chance to read through this manual, and everything in here looks reasonable to me. I have no major issues with what they are doing. I do wonder why this document is Confidential. Why can't they just be transparent?

One question was specifically answered.
- Comcast currently maintains Internet Protocol address log files for a period of
180 days. If Comcast is asked to respond for information relating to an
incident that occurred beyond this period, we will not have responsive
information and can not fulfill a legal request. (Comcast can process and
respond to preservation requests as outlined below in this Handbook.)

- Because Comcast’s system of allocating IP addresses uses Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocol (DHCP), its subscribers are not assigned a single, constant
or static IP address. Instead, a dynamic IP address is assigned and has the potential
to change several times throughout the course of a month. As a result, it is
necessary to include in all requests for information the specific date and time
of incident when an IP address was alleged to have been used.

- Comcast currently maintains its IP log files for a period of 180 days. If asked to
make an identification based upon an IP address that was used more than 180 days
prior to receipt of the request, Comcast will not have information to provide.
(Comcast can process preservation requests as outlined below in this Handbook.)

Really interesting stuff, thanks! Would you like me to make you a foil hat as a thank you?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Rexter:

Awesome, finally some useful information in this thread!

It would be interesting to see an updated document.

I had a chance to read through this manual, and everything in here looks reasonable to me. I have no major issues with what they are doing.

This document PREDATES the proposed SAFETY Act of 2009, and is therefore likely to be far less useful then you think.

I suggest you make the information request under the freedom of information act, if you want to have actual current information.

Specifically the potential for a federal requirement to be able to map a user to every IP address ever used by that user to cover in detail a span of 2 years means that most large (and even small - I know Sonic.net implemented this as well) ISPs went ahead and expanded their record keeping to cover that timespan. So the 180 day thing could easily be a pleasant memory of the past.

Which means if someone wants to map you to a torrent (or to a torrent proxy service, or to any proxy service) they may well be able to do so going back two years. Or any other activity they may wish to explore, so long as they can subpoena the records from your ISP.

There is no law that requires a limit on the span of time the records for your IP assignment are kept. As it's a fairly trivial and fully automated database (one record with two fields - ip address and timestamp, logged whenever the IP changes for an account) for an ISP to gather, if I were to be conservative I'd assume its more likely to be for the life of your account.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

Yea, you're right. It is outdated. I'll look into getting my hands on something more current.

Don't worry, I won't post it here. As most on BBR apparently would rather not know...

LarryE
join:2000-07-29
Chicago, IL

LarryE

said by Rexter:

Yea, you're right. It is outdated. I'll look into getting my hands on something more current.

Don't worry, I won't post it here. As most on BBR apparently would rather not know...

And even if you do get an updated document, there's nothing you can do to change anything anyway.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

Good God! Almost every post made in here is saturated with assumptions. You know what they say about assumptions!

Have we come to a time in society where someone can't just ask a question? I don't want to do anything about it. I just want to know.

Well guys, this thread is only going to get more idiotic, and my A.D.D. is kicking in, so I'm going to leave it to you.

Thanks joaka for pointing out such a document exists.

out

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg

Premium Member

said by Rexter:

You know what they say about assumptions!

Assumptions make an "ass" out of "u" and "mptions"?