how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hutington

join:2011-05-04
Boulder, CO

Qwest data usage page ?

Is there any way to know my monthly data usage ?.

kiknwing

join:2010-12-13
Ogden, UT

Qwest modems track the number of packets you send and receive. You can call and ask but the best way in my opinion is to install a router behind the modem that tracks the amount of traffic.

hutington

Boulder, CO
reply to hutington

Thanks for the reply. How to we calculate data usage in say GB from the packet data ?.

kiknwing

Ogden, UT

1 recommendation

reply to hutington

In short: you can't. Packets come in many differnt sizes.

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO
reply to hutington

There are programs that can do the recording. I use Net Meter. It's not expensive.

joe_h

join:2010-05-26
Las Cruces, NM
reply to hutington

Is there a reason for one? Century Link now owns Qwest and does not have a cap, and when I ordered Qwest DSL a week before the changover, the Qwest sales rep stated that they do not have a cap enforcement.

kiknwing

Ogden, UT

said by joe_h:

Is there a reason for one? Century Link now owns Qwest and does not have a cap, and when I ordered Qwest DSL a week before the changover, the Qwest sales rep stated that they do not have a cap enforcement.

They have a terms of service, so really they have a soft cap and they do enforce it if your what they call a consistently high bandwidth user.

joe_h

join:2010-05-26
Las Cruces, NM

1 edit

Sure...but do the terms of service still apply? As I said, they are now CenturyLink, and I would assume now follow their business model of not having caps. The Qwest name is going to be phased out in a few months as well. Would they keep caps for some customers and not others? I'm just spewing conjecture here, but as I stated before, the Qwest sales rep told me over the phone that they have no caps in place.

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11

said by joe_h:

Sure...but do the terms of service still apply? As I said, they are now CenturyLink, and I would assume now follow their business model of not having caps. The Qwest name is going to be phased out in a few months as well. Would they keep caps for some customers and not others? I'm just spewing conjecture here, but as I stated before, the Qwest sales rep told me over the phone that they have no caps in place.

interesting thought. it would be nice to have no cap

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to kiknwing

said by kiknwing:

said by joe_h:

They have a terms of service, so really they have a soft cap and they do enforce it if your what they call a consistently high bandwidth user.

Define consistently high bandwidth user. I do about 150-200gb a month and it's been that way for almost a year.

As for capping some users and not others, it's all based on your location. If your location is having bandwidth issues, you will be capped. If your area isn't having said issues, no capping.

kiknwing

Ogden, UT

High usage is over 250GB

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit

Actually that was a rhetorical question. High usage can be anything the obstructs the bandwidth of other people in the area.

Let's say customer A in Area A is using 260GB a month in bandwidth and is causing no issues to other customers bandwidth. Customer A will not capped or penalized.

However is Customer B in Area B is using 200GB a month in bandwidth and causing some issues with other customers bandwidth, Customer B will get capped and penalized.

Basically what happens to you is based off utilization of a certain area.

My cousin lives in a rural town where he 1 of 5 with Qwest. He does about 350GB a month. No issues, no capping from Qwest. My friend lives in the city and is 1 of 500 that has Qwest. He does about 150-200GB and gets capped often.

hutington

Boulder, CO
reply to joe_h

Century Link may not had a reason then to enforce a cap (their max offered speed is 10 mbps). But after inheriting the Qwest 20-40 mbps connections, they may have to go for cap.

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11

lets hope they dont use any cap