LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to TheMG

MVM

to TheMG

Re: bad breaker?

Slack is for sissies. A small dip is OK, but anything else just makes for a messy panel. If the wires are too short, just nut them up.

I can't believe the supply house didn't have Murray or Siemens. At this rate, you may as well order online.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Well, yeah, there is such a thing as too much slack.

My rule of thumb is just enough slack to allow the wire to be re-stripped twice, or to allow it to be moved two breaker positions or terminals down from its current position. It's not messy, and allows a little bit of reconfiguration if necessary, without having to resort to wire nuts or splices.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I even have to work on one of the wire to move it from the inner connection to the outer one....

As for Murray, no, I didn't ask for that one. I simply don't know what other current breakers are compatible with my panel.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to TheMG

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

Well, yeah, there is such a thing as too much slack.

My rule of thumb is just enough slack to allow the wire to be re-stripped twice, or to allow it to be moved two breaker positions or terminals down from its current position. It's not messy, and allows a little bit of reconfiguration if necessary, without having to resort to wire nuts or splices.

I agree. There is messy. But there is the other way so neat and perfect that the person behind you has to work harder.
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit

49528867 (banned) to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

If the wires are too short, just nut them up.

You have to be kidding.

Wayne

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

No I'm not kidding. Nothing wrong with it. A couple of wire nuts in a panel is far better than stretching wire or adding adding j-boxes in a circuit just to make a breaker.
nunya

nunya to 49528867

MVM

to 49528867
And if you need clarification, you can read 312.8 to the end. I can splice every conductor in a 42 space panel 5 times and still make 75% with ease (thanks to Ma Bell).
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by nunya:

And if you need clarification, you can read 312.8 to the end. I can splice every conductor in a 42 space panel 5 times and still make 75% with ease (thanks to Ma Bell).

I don't need to read it I just think doing so is ugly, trailerparkish handyman like so to speak.

Wayne

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

I find adding a bunch of j-boxes or destroying building finish to gain a few inches of wire very unprofessional.
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by nunya:

I find adding a bunch of j-boxes or destroying building finish to gain a few inches of wire very unprofessional.

Hence the reason I believe in the term "slack is my friend."

Wayne
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

said by 49528867:

said by nunya:

Hence the reason I believe in the term "slack is my friend."

Wayne

I love slack. Those perfect panels or perfect network wires when I work behind them just are not user friendly.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

1 recommendation

Killa200

Premium Member

said by nonymous:

... or perfect network wires when I work behind them just are not user friendly.

Considering the short bend radius and general flexibility on network wire, there is no excuse not to make it neat and then store some spare slack non visible (ceiling space, loose run in EMT or ENT conduit, backless low volt plate with resplice slack in wall cavity, etc). Generally i make it neat at the distribution, at the end termination, and the entire run. Then i leave slack at the bend to the distribution and termination spots, either neatly and uniform if it is visible, or in a manner where it can be useful if hidden.