Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tobester

join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

New San Francisco (94115) Fusion Installation (LONG)

Last week I made the switch from AT&T phone/internet to Sonic's Fusion product.

Previously, I had AT&T's Elite DSL service and my speed tests were ~5090 up / 653 down.

I am ~5150 feet from the DSLAM at the Central office on Steiner and Bush Street in San Francisco, 94115.

(My home ADSL installation specs:
In 2000, I had a professional COVAD installation, who installed a CAT5e drop to my computer and a Siecor whole house splitter.)

Sonic sent out an email saying they would become my telephone and ADSL2+ carrier at 11:00AM on Wednesday May 4th, and I may notice up to two hours of down time.

Promptly at 11:00AM, my phone and DSL line went dead; within 10 minutes I again had dial tone and my ZTE ADSL2+ router sync'ed.

At 11:27AM I ran some speed tests at DSLReports and showed 7689 down/ 916 up.

A quick call to Sonic's excellent Tech support, who tweaked my line, increasing my download and upload speeds.

Both S/N ratio and attenuation on my line were great. I ran my last speed test at 2:03PM with 8204/892.

Fast forward to 10:00PM that night.................problems arose on my line. The ZTE (ADSL2+) router wouldn't sync, and neither would my old Speedstream 5660 ADSL router.

Called Sonic tech support, who had me unplug my home telephone line at the network interface so they could run tests on my line. Now, the line shows a short.

They issued a trouble ticket with ATT, who arrived the next morning to find no trouble on their end of the service.

This Monday morning (May 9th), I am having the Sonic installer come out to find the problem.

I am stumped since I didn't do anything other than plug in my router

I know the old Siecor splitter is not optimum for ADSL2+ service, but I was very happy with my initial Sonic speed.

Now some words about Sonic's Tech support:

I cannot say enough about their professionalism, courtesy, and knowledge.

For how I am currently completely cut off from the internet, (well except dial-up ) I know the problem will be fixed and they really want my business!

I will update this thread as things progress.

Tobester

Tobester

San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Update: as of Monday, May 9th.

The Sonic technician came out today and could not get my ADSL2+ modem to sync at the NID building point of entry, saying the problem is on the AT&T side.

Unlike the ATT technician, the Sonic tech did not have equipment to check the line, only that he couldn't get sync with the modem.

Sonic has again scheduled an AT&T repair visit for Wednesday, May 11th. This will be a week without DSL service.

The technician also advised Sonic does not install splitters at the NID, and could not recommend one to use.

Since I already have a CAT5e drop to my computer, I do not wish to step backwards and start using filters on each telephone. Additionally, I have 5 land line telephones and I have read that this can cause decreased speed.

I suggest Sonic be able to recommend reliable whole house splitters to use with their ADSL2+ service, and provide such with their Professional Installations (as did COVAD); this is my only criticism so far.

As before, the telephone Tech Support people were most helpful in scheduling the AT&T visit, but I'm beginning to get dizzy on this carousel

Tobester

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9

Thanks for the update, and please keep us posted! Sorry to hear it's been a bumpy ride!

-Dane

Tobester

San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Tobester

Updated: New San Francisco (94115) Fusion Installation (LONG)

May 12, 2011.

After the second AT&T visit @ 12:00PM, where this technician was much more interested in solving the problem, a ground fault was found between my neighborhood terminal and the Central Office.

My service was moved to a new pair. Unfortunately, at this point I also lost my landline telephone service too.

I contacted Sonic Tech Support, who said AT&T had not notified them of the change and they would contact AT&T. Bottom line it took two more calls from Sonic to AT&T before my line came back up at 10:00PM.

Previously, my Sonic landline had experienced a phantom callback ring every time I would leave a voicemail; this problem also corrected with the new pair.

Due to a lack of documentation from Sonic on the ZTE modem, I called Tech Support last night to get the proper configuration. The ZTE is placed in bridge mode and then plugged into a Trendnet TEW-511BRP router.

I am extremely happy with the ADSL2+ speeds.
I am receiving 9132 Kbps / 916 Kbps at ~5150' to DSLAM.

Also, I am achieving these speeds with the old COVAD provided Siecor whole house splitter too. Since the splitter was installed back in 2000, I don't believe ADSL2+ spec's even existed back then. Perhaps in the future I will make the switch to an ADSL2+ compliant splitter?

My installation was not for the faint of heart, and AT&T certainly did their best to muck up the installation; however, I'm sure anyone reading this on DSLReports is way above average in their ability to hasten installation

I highly recommend Sonic.net's Fusion service to anyone sitting on the fence regarding switching their DSL carrier from AT&T!!

My previous suggestions for improvement remain, however, their excellent Tech Support and "will-do" attitude rises above all other providers.

After all, how many company CEO's do you know who monitor this site for feedback

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9

Re: Updated: New San Francisco (94115) Fusion Installation (LONG

Thanks for the update - and please tell a friend/neighbor!

-Dane