uniqs

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool

Re: Which Sattelite or Cable company has the best HD?

I'm curious about this, too. Just about everybody I know puts cable last, but usually they rank DirecTV higher than Dish for HD. I know its a highly subjective topic, but I've been following it with interest as now I've decided to go with satellite, but haven't decided which one.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by BillRoland:

I know its a highly subjective topic...

It is and everyone's eyes are different. It's foolish to ask "which is the best". I guess if one wants to compare based on numbers, in theory cable should almost always win. Next would be DirecTV since they transmit at a higher resolution (1920x1080i for 1080i channels) whereas Dish does 1440x1080i for the same 1080i channels. That said, can people see the difference ? Probably not....

Also, too many people with Dish will say "Dish is the best"; people with DirecTV will say "DirecTV is the best"; and so on.... How many people have multiple service providers at the same time and compared with the same TV ? You can't compare one service from a year ago to another service today nor can you compare on different TVs since the TV itself is a big factor!

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts

Premium Member

In my area I have seen DirecTV in HD, I had DishHD, I currently have U-verse HD and have seen Comcast HD. If I had to rank them it would be DirecTV with DishHD in a close 2nd, Comcast 3rd but still pretty good HD PQ, and U-verse dead last as their signal is over-compressed and pixelated junk. I just ordered DirecTV today and am looking forward to seeing awesome HD PQ again!!!

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

I had DirecTV installed last week. The HD is far superior to what I was getting with Cox (on the same TV, so I'm doing an apples to apples comparison).

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

3 edits

Hayward0 to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
said by Hall:

Also, too many people with Dish will say "Dish is the best"; people with DirecTV will say "DirecTV is the best"

Those two are arguable....more about sports particularly NFhelL, but overall cable and Uverse sucks most and most variable... can vary from acceptable to total crap depending on the local system and its management, brand has very little to do with it.

At least with sat it is universal and nation wide consistent .... none of local issues.
Hayward0

1 edit

Hayward0 to BillRoland

Premium Member

to BillRoland
said by BillRoland:

I'm curious about this, too. Just about everybody I know puts cable last, but usually they rank DirecTV higher than Dish for HD. I know its a highly subjective topic, but I've been following it with interest as now I've decided to go with satellite, but haven't decided which one.

Again it is the fine line arguable range vs night and day. Usually the deciding factor is if you just MUST have NFL Sunday rip-off in which case DTV is the only choice for another several years until contract is up, and maybe NFL will do something non exclusive with cost much more spread rather than weighing down the shoulders of a few.

Of course likely not, just open it up to all and still charge the same greed cost.