share rss forum feed

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink

That can't be Cricket Broadband.

You must be confusing Cricket with something else, maybe you were using someone's wi-fi instead? Cricket costs $30 for 1Gb/mo which is not a good deal any way you look at it but then it's too slow to make it possible to ever use that much. Also you can't watch youtube at 600 kbps. You can start a video then pause it and wait until it loads, which takes about 3 times as long as the play time, then play it after it's finished downloading but you need around 1.5Mb to play it while it's streaming. I tried it with 1Mb measured speeds when I first got Cricket and youtube wouldn't play, all I could play without too much jerking was the slowest 400kbps stream on live.twit.com. Now that Cricket has slowed to less than 56k dial up speeds it's too slow to even get a web page to open and since they keep disconnecting me every few minutes it's not much good for anything at all.
BTW, Speedtest.net is usually widely optimistic and it also depends on the speed of the PC you run it on, a faster PC will give you faster speeds. The results you got look about average for Cricket though except the ping times are usually much longer, around 1000ms.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Have you tried using a external antenna? that works wonders. Ill take a pic when I get home. I'll also post a printscreen the cricket program.

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink

Yes, I tried an external antenna but it doesn't help any because all the wireless companies have their antennas within a mile of my house and I already get strong signals of 4-5 bars from them just by placing the USB device in the window. The roof antenna does increase the signal a little bit but doesn't change the slow speed any. The problem isn't a weak signal it's because they have over sold and overloaded their networks to the point that it doesn't work at all anymore. The same thing happened with Virgin Mobile, it worked pretty good when I tried it in November but by the end of Dec. it had slowed to 56k dial up speeds and was useless. If you are still getting decent speeds it's because there aren't many users signed up in your area yet but that will probably change. Like somebody else said here, the same thing always happens, first they start a new "high speed" service with "unlimited" data, everyone jumps on it and slows it down when it gets overloaded, then they put caps on it and raise the price and abandon everyone who bought into the service with useless wireless adapters they can't use, then move on to another city and do the same thing all over again. The owners and CEOs of all these crooked companies should be thrown in jail for consumer fraud and theft and it would help to solve some of the problems.