spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

viking_zeke

@qwest.net

Help with qwest DSL diagnostic

Hi, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to networking but I feel that my qwest DSL is very bad. I called QWEST and they sent out a technician but he wasn't able to find any problems. I don't really know what to look at, so here is the diagnostic dump of my Motorola 3357 wireless router/modem.

Broadband Parameter Status
VPI: 0
VCI: 32
Broadband Mode Setting: Multimode
Broadband Mode Auto-Detected: T1.413
Downstream Speed: 640 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 256 Kbps
Packets Received: 758765
Retrains: 4
Retrain Timer: 002 Days, 19H:14M:34S
ATM QoS Class: UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleaved: 75
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath: 0
Far End CRC Errors Interleaved: 20
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath: 0
15 Minute Near End CRC Interleaved: 0
15 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath: 0
15 Minute Far End CRC Interleaved: 0
15 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath: 0
Near End FEC Interleaved: 849
Near End FEC Fastpath: 0
Far End FEC Interleaved: 1564
Far End FEC Fastpath: 0
15 Minute Near End FEC Interleaved: 0
15 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath: 0
15 Minute Far End FEC Interleaved: 0
15 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath: 0
15 Minute Packets Discarded Downstream: 0
15 Minute Packets Discarded Upstream: 0
SNR Downstream Margin: 16.50
SNR Upstream Margin: 31.00
Attenuation Downstream: 50.00
Attenuation Upstream: 28.00

Any help interpreting this or letting me know if my service is indeed sucky would be helpful. I just feel that my internet is quite slow for what I pay for, and even for the rates I am supposed to be getting.

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09
What speed are you paying for?

Modem stats is showing you are getting 640k down & 256k up

When you run a speed test, do you roughly get around those speeds (take away 15% from the numbers I posted)

kiknwing

join:2010-12-13
Ogden, UT
reply to viking_zeke
Your attenuation downstream level is way to high.

dynodb
Premium,VIP
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
reply to viking_zeke
It might help if you told us what the actual problem is.

SNR margins are good, and I'm not seeing an excessive number of errors since it last retrained 19 hours prior.

viking_zeke

@qwest.net
The problem is that it seems slower than it should be and some nights my connection drops every few minutes. I recently moved (same city) and had Qwest DSL at my old place and it was great. Rock solid connection and fast speeds. I moved across town and I can't watch a youtube video without it pausing multiple times through.

I ran the flash speed test without any other applications running and it reports:

Download Speed: 426 Kb/s
Upload Speed: 209 Kb/s

I picked Denver, CO which was the closest server to my location (only about 60 miles away from me).

I used to have 3m down and 1m up. When I moved here I had the same and the modem dropped connection all the time. When the technician came out he said he had to downgrade my speed to the lowest in my 'pay category' to get a stable connection but that's all he did. Now, I know the downgrade accounts for a large part of the speed difference between what I was used to at my old place, but this was several months ago and it seems lately that it has gotten even slower.

I'm just basically looking for some idea if there is anything I could do with Qwest to get better service (I don't think so since their technician downgraded me basically) or if another DSL provider would be better or else I will have to go to Comcast.

What is attenuation downstream?

viking_zeke

@qwest.net
I should also note that lately when we use our landline there is a static-like 'crackling' noise on the phone line. The filter is in place and we didn't have this before when we first had our phone hooked up. Unfortunately we only have one phone and I can't check if its the phone or the line causing the noise.

kiknwing

join:2010-12-13
Ogden, UT
reply to viking_zeke
Attenuation downstream - an electrical measurement for distance. The higher the number, the slower your internet is. (To compare I have a Attenuation downstream rate of 5)

Since you are hearing static on your land line, disconnected everything that is connected to the phone line including filters and just have the modem connected. Next check your speed. If things have improved, somewhere your inside wiring is bad. If things have not changed, disconnect the modem and only have one telephone connected (remember not to have a filter on this line while doing this test). If you still hear static, my guess is that you need to give qwest a call and get a tech out again. Tell them the steps that you already did and that should get a tech out because my guess is that they have a problem on their end.