how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ruve1k

join:2010-08-07
Kew Gardens, NY

Custom Caller ID

The custom caller ID feature displays the caller ID name to match what you have entered in your contacts list for that number. If you don't have the number stored in your contacts list then it just displays the standard caller ID name data. This feature is standard amongst most voip providers. I thought PP was working on implementing custom caller ID 10 months ago. Any update on how long we'll have to wait to have custom caller ID available?

PhonePower
Premium
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA
kudos:1
Phone Power runs 2 platforms we call Capricorn and Aquarius. This feature is supported on our Capricorn network but is not on the Aquarius network. We are not aware of any plans to include this feature on our generally more advanced Aquarius network.

ruve1k

Kew Gardens, NY
Why not? This is a very basic feature that most voip providers include. Also, usually people only spend the time entering someone's contact info because that is how they want to see their name displayed when they call.
How long would it take to implement this given that it already has been successfully implemented on the older network?

PP User

@verizon.net
I agree. I don't understand why the "more advance" network is lacking several important features from the "older" network.

For example, I was pretty mad when I found out that I had lost the music-on-hold feature when I "upgraded" to the newer, Aquarius network.

Doesn't really make much sense to an end user.

Bob Tele Man

@verizon.net
Although I do not care about this feature, I think since there is a group of you wanting this feature, there are certainly many more people wanting this hidden somewhere. And since I am sure this is very easy to implement, and as you guys have said, it is offered by most other voip companies... I would think Phone Power would want to put this feature in place just for the sake of wanting to be the BEST of all voip companies.

And the more I think about it, I could probably use this feature too. Might be nice on those Caller IDs that do not contain a name. When I am watching TV and the Caller ID pops up 999-999-9999 UNAVAILABLE, I would not have to sit there and scramble my brains out trying to remember who that is. Happens to me all the time... friends are getting cell phones and there is never a name attached with Verizon Wireless callers.

topgun

join:2011-01-31
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
said by Bob Tele Man :

Although I do not care about And since I am sure this is very easy to implement, and as you guys have said, it is offered by most other voip companies... I would think Phone Power would want to put this feature in place just for the sake of wanting to be the BEST of all voip companies.

When I read this I had to chuckle... First, if it was easy to implement I'm sure PP would have done it by now? Second there is not "best" VoIp" provider people use what fits their needs, budget, experience level, etc. It is a tradeoff...that is like someone saying that X wants to have the best car. We all know that is not possible. Everything in life is a tradeoff. That being said for the people that are having such a cow over it can either uprgade to the newer network or get a pair of new Uniden phones that have custom caller ID built it.
--
I got the need for speed »bit.ly/topgunparody

Bob Tele Man

@verizon.net
Yeah, but it is like this... all the car companies have the basics like AM/FM radio. I think an owner of a $60,000 car would be kind of unhappy if he would told he could not have a sound system in their car. I don't know the situation. I just know that I have read many posts about this feature.

I think what these guys are saying is that they choose PhonePower in their minds because they feel PhonePower is the BEST, but at the same time PowerPower lacks a feature that is very important to them.

Just like a little cell company here offers caller ID with name but Verizon and AT&T do not. I would love caller ID with name on my cell phone, but I am not switching to that other cell company to get it, because their signal is too poor.

Jim L

@uslec.net
I will agree with you Bob about a company being a best. In my opinion, Phone Power is the BEST, which is why I have them. But, I do feel there are many things that Phone Power can improve, such as their web portal. Everything is scattered on a page and arranged differently for each page.

When I was a Broadvoice customer in 2004-2005, I thought they had a very nice web portal, but Broadvoice simply sucks as a provider. Worst customer service, never reply to emails, and after a 1 month outage because Broadvoice did not pay their bills to their upstream provider, I said goodbye to Broadvoice, and would NEVER go back to them.

So even though I think Phone Power is the best, I would love it if they had a web portal similar to Broadvoice.

PHILBY

@telkom.net.id
reply to ruve1k
ruve1k - You are correct. I have had 4 VOIP providers. All went out of biz, so now I am with PhonePower. All of the previous companies DID have the ability to edit the name. One of the providers had a check box next to the contact name, which I liked best! With the box checked, the name was modified. With the box unchecked, the name was not modified. There are many companies that provide this feature, but I chose Phone Power because they have some of the best ratings.

PP User - I agree! A more advanced network should be gaining in all aspects, not lacking. The only excuse I could see for this is that Phone Power is reselling certain parts of their network and have no control over implementing the feature. I know I lost certain features when a previous provider switched who they were reselling from.

Bob Tele Man - This would be nice for unavailable numbers, or in my case, I travel around the world a lot, and I receive lots of international calls. A name is never associated with an international number.

topgun - Do you work for Phone Power? I do not think anyone is "having a cow" here. This is a place for people to speak out about their needs, and this is a good place for Phone Power to get some good constructive criticism.

Jim L - Oh most definitely. The web interface leaves a lot to be desired. There should be a lot more ways of handling calls and time and date options as well. But the overlook needs improved too. And you are right about Broadvoice... they suck!

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

1 edit
Actually, I don't work for them. I just have better ways to spend my time then worrying how I have to wait for x feature. Most of my friends have Charter and only get Caller ID, Voicemail, Call Waiting, and Call Forwarding, and somehow they all manage to live without all the features that people in this forum think are the necessity, lol. I miss music on hold and busy re-dial but I don't feel the need to constantly nag about it?

--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to PHILBY
Topgun's MO is to berate anyone who has anything less that 100% positive comments about Phonepower. Pay him no mind, the vast majority of people on these boards like to help others out and understand with most services with the good comes the not so good. Phonepower is a great company that listens to it's customers.
Expand your moderator at work

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk

1 edit

Re: Custom Caller ID

Wow, after all these years, you're still grinding your axe. Any excuse to dredge up the now distant past.

I guess you 'do know wrong' when you see wrong, eh?

And your link - hilarious - the last entry blames VT for power going out in their (there, they're???) house.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY

Re: Custom Caller ID

NM

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

1 edit
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Topgun's MO is to berate anyone who has anything less that 100% positive comments about Phonepower. Pay him no mind, the vast majority of people on these boards like to help others out and understand with most services with the good comes the not so good. Phonepower is a great company that listens to it's customers.

Just like Potrowski's MO is to interfere with an A-B conversation rather the C himself out if it? FYI I have brought up features requests and my opinions on features such as MOH or Busy redial that they should bring back However, I know nagging PP and reminding them how many months it has been is not going to make the features magically appear.

People forget the dev team is not just sitting around eating Big Macs they implemented a new network, soft phone, Iphone app, released sip credentials, on-top of whatever daily work they have. Not trying to sound like a Fanboy but like any company PP has a finite amount of resources and at 14.95-20.00 month per customer I'm sure the CEO does not have the resources of Warren Buffet to just snap his fingers like Sabrina and fix everything on the spot.

I requested that Custom Caller ID and Repeat Busy Redial be brought back on Aquarius and got this from tech support:

Later this year we are hoping to roll out a batch of enhancements for the Aquarius network, which may address these concerns.
Detailed announcements will be made once the enhancements are ready for deployment.

--

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to ruve1k
said by ruve1k:

Why not? This is a very basic feature that most voip providers include. Also, usually people only spend the time entering someone's contact info because that is how they want to see their name displayed when they call.
How long would it take to implement this given that it already has been successfully implemented on the older network?

I've been begging for two years to get them to include the CALLER ID NAME in the voicemail-to-email messages they send out. No dice. I think the powers at be at this company do not see any value in caller ID name info.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

ruve1k

Kew Gardens, NY

1 recommendation

What would really make sense is for PP to set up a list of potential features and allow users (or potential users) to vote on what is important to them.

Google has something like this for additional Gmail features (and they've already implemented most of the good ones.) »mail.google.com/support/bin/stat···tions.cs
(.. I know, I know, it's unfair to compare PhonePower to Google.)

Microsoft has set up Connect which is a forum of sorts that allows users to report bugs, issues and feature requests. Then Microsoft prioritizes the fixes and enhancements based on the attention that these items get from their constituents.

By encouraging users to vote on features, PP can get a better sense of what their user base really wants instead of relying on these forum posts where all the attention goes to the most vocal users.

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
As stated above the "enhancements" will hopefully allow both networks to have a more uniform feature set? If nothing else allow Aquarius to have all the old features Capricorn did.
--

PhonePwrTech

join:2007-07-20
reply to ruve1k
Thank you for taking your time to provide us with feedback. The Aquarius network is built on a telecom grade switch. While it has the advantage of handling a higher volume of traffic and performing complex call routing, it doesn't allow for us to change things instantly. This feature request or revival is currently on our road map and we will keep everyone up to date.