All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
quickguide1
join:2010-02-10

quickguide1 to revo8778

to revo8778

Re: Switching to Earthlink a good idea?

okay. So i called Time Warner. They told me the cost is 49.95/month instead of 44.95 b/c that is the standard price since January 2011.

I asked about the Earthlink and they told me because i am a current road runner customer, even if i switch to earthlink... i would get charged the 49.95 fee as oppose to the 29.95/month for 1st 6 months and then 41.95 fee after that. They said this is a phone department and they don't offer those deals.

I then asked if i called Earthlink, are they going to say the same thing? They said they are not sure. I spoke to Earthlink online support and they said yes i can get it for the 29.95/month plan for 6 months and 41.95 after and i could just make the switch right now.

However, they told me that after i do this, then a technician will call me in 3 days to make a day where they could come over and install it. What i got confused here was people mentioned that they use same equipment and everything is the same. Only difference is no road runner boost and email accounts.

But I said, since i have the cable box from road runner, why would i need a technician to come over? They said installation and cable box was free and i told them i thought i could use the same one. They said a technician has to come to your home to do the switch at your place. Can someone explain how they do this switch? I thought it was going to be real easy where i didn't even need to meet a technician and they were just going to switch the internet like that..

Can someone explain some of this? I'm going to call them back tomorrow. So after 6 months when i change back to road runner, then the road runner technician will have to come to my home? So if i take the cable box from earthlink, that means i have to return the return back to road runner right? But if i keep my current modem, i don't have to return it?
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

There's no requirement to send anyone out. They can switch you at the push of a button (literally.) If they want to send someone out to change the modem, go right ahead. Sounds like that might just be an artifact of the Earthlink/TWC system.

You seem to be going to a great deal of work to save less than $20 a month, for six months. But after 6 months, I wouldn't jump ship. I've been an Earthlink(TWC) customer for many years. My bill has never changed. RR customers have seen the bill go up many times.

tcat007
join:2010-10-04
Austin, TX

tcat007

So does this mean that after a year with TWC/RR I can switch to Earthlink to get their $42 "fixed" rate?