BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:161
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: Get The Most Out Of Your Wideband Connection

Since the Netgear WNDR-3700 has turned sour due to recent firmware updates gone bad I'm adding a new router to the short list of quality gigabit routers.

The ASUS RT-N56U appears to be a winner!

The lowest price I could find was on Amazon : »www.amazon.com/Processor-Hardwar ··· 3&sr=1-1
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

join:2011-04-22
Tampa, FL
ispGeek, Where is that "List". Is the new Cisco E4200 any good? What would be your first pick?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits
FT I don't have any info on the Visco E4200. I'll do some checking...

Updated - The E4200 does have slightly performance on the wireless side of things BUT... is single processor and therefore won't touch the Asus in processing (routing capacity - torrent freaks take note). It also rates slightly lower than the Asus on smallnetbuilder.com and is 25% more expensive. The reviews seem to be somewhat mixed on the usual sites. The E4200 also has no connectors for external antennas...but then again neither does the Asus.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Since the Netgear WNDR-3700 has turned sour due to recent firmware updates gone bad I'm adding a new router to the short list of quality gigabit routers.

The ASUS RT-N56U appears to be a winner!

The lowest price I could find was on Amazon : »www.amazon.com/Processor-Hardwar ··· 3&sr=1-1

Just an update on this router. I couldn't help myself and snatched one these beauties of Amazon. So far all I can say is wow...it is most certainly a super router. The UI is a bit clunky and the wiring on the right side is a bit weird BUT these are all things you can live with. The router itself is TINY but don't let it's size fool you.

Over the next 24 hours I'm going to seriously load the router down with tasks and I'll post back. Anyone considering a new router...pay close attention to this thread over the next day or so. So far I'm truly impressed.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

Thade

join:2009-12-16
Orlando, FL
I can't wait to get that Asus router. I'm tired of my old Linksys router which gave me laggy connections in games. Hey ispgeek, can you lay that router flat or does it have to stand?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
Yessir you can lay it flat the stand just pops right on/off. I don't remember if I said it was tiny or not but it's tiny. Right now I'm up to 5 netflix streams and everything else I do and not a hiccup one yet.

This is the item I purchased. »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049Y ··· 049YQVHE

I noticed that several people complained about the UI. It really isn't that bad but is considerably different than the user tamed other mfrs and it does have a few rough edges where it's intolerant of incorrectly entered data. These are minor issues from my perspective. I didn't buy it for the UI if ya know what I mean.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
I too am anxious to hear how it all works out. I love my D-Link but it's only 2.4 so I will probably get one of these at the end of the month.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by FTBoomer:

I too am anxious to hear how it all works out. I love my D-Link but it's only 2.4 so I will probably get one of these at the end of the month.

Still going strong with not so much as a hiccup. I'm very happy with not only the wired but also wireless performance. I noticed that some have commented on G range but my experience was just the opposite and I'm in a complicated two story house.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
I can not find this thing locally anywhere. Any ideas?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by FTBoomer:

You won't find it locally. I can post an Amazon Prime link for you @ $129.00 which is what I paid. The great thing about buying it directly from Amazon is the ZERO hassle returns.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
No problem I buy tonnes of stuff through Amazon, just wanted to install today and tinker.

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by FTBoomer:

You won't find it locally. I can post an Amazon Prime link for you @ $129.00 which is what I paid. The great thing about buying it directly from Amazon is the ZERO hassle returns.

Just ordered one, be here Friday. Can't wait.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by FTBoomer:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by FTBoomer:

Woot!

Just ordered one, be here Friday. Can't wait.

--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope