share rss forum feed

Ahuacamolli

join:2001-11-30
Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Pacific Bell - SBC

Port 25 now being FULLY blocked!!

Approximately 48 hours ago, Charter Pipeline implemented full blocking of Port 25 of it's customer's computers in the areas of Norco and Riverside, California.

I called Charter's Technical Support (1-888-852-2235) this morning by telephone to confirm this observation. The individual I spoke with first denied that Charter was blocking any ports. When I requested that he double check to ensure that what he said was true he placed me on hold and apparently checked with Charter's Networking Staff. He then came back on the line and confirmed that the blocking of port 25 had in fact been recently implemented.

Why is Charter blocking both incoming and outgoing traffic when Earthlink, which is the ISP utilized in connection with Charter's Cable Internet service to the aforesaid areas, blocks only outgoing traffic from port 25 in order to prevent it's network from being utilized for the transmission of SPAM? My service contract With Charter contains no provisions for the blocking of any ports, and my use of Charter Pipeline's service is solely for personal use. No warning or other notification of the change in it's service.... not to me, or even it's technical support staff!!!

Free dial-up access to the internet through EarthLink is included as a part of Charter's services in this area. Temporarily disabling my network connectoid and establishing a dial-up connection with Earthlink using my Charter Pipeline account allows my unfettered use of Port 25 for incoming traffic. Outgoing traffic is understandably blocked.

Is Charter fully blocking port 25 in other areas of the United States in which it provides internet access?

Why does Charter block both incoming and outgoing traffic through Port 25, when EarthLink only blocks outgoing traffic?

Is it possible that Charter has simply over-implemented the blocking of Port 25 and that their intention was solely to block the transmission of SPAM e-mail?

How does one initiate contact with the appropriate individual at Charter to see if the blocking of incoming traffic to port 25 be stopped?

R_Kelly

join:2001-07-04
Yakima, WA

For about 2 weeks I have been unable to enter sites that I have been using each day for at least 6 months. One site is being accessed by other people that I have been e-mailing with. It just seems to be me .. and other Charter Pipeline computers I have tried. I am not very "up" on all the ins and outs of broadband .. but I am certain that Charter has either blocked access to these sites .. or screwed something up during our Wa State outages. I am not sure this has anything to do with port 25 .. all I know is that sites I used to zip in and out of .. not just sit there after the login screen .. like they are waiting for a signal from my computer. I would like to know what is going on ...

Russ

relam59
Premium
join:2000-12-27
Edwardsville, IL
reply to Ahuacamolli

Actually, Charter Pipeline's AUP prohibits servers of any kind, even for personal use. If they started blocking port 25 that is probably why.

Ahuacamolli

Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to R_Kelly

A month or so ago, at least here in Riverside, California where I live, I noticed that Charter had started using Qwest's backbone. If it's the same for you, then I suggest that you contact Charter in your area and determine if they and/or Qwest have the proper provisioning set up in order to gain access to the site(s) that you are having problems with. As the problem just started recently, I'd be willing to bet that this is the case.

The problem I reported went away sometime this morning. A local representative for Charter told me that they were only blocking outgoing traffic. That seems to be the case now, but it wasn't the case the past Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. It appears that it's now my word against that of Charter's Network staff... Now that things are working it's not worth my time to prove the point or argue with them.

I hope that they can resolve your problem.

Varlik
Without Honor You Will Never Be Free
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Anderson, SC
reply to Ahuacamolli

Are you using / running a server of any kind? Charters AUP strictly prohibits servers of any kind that may be why they’re blocking that port. Other people may be running them on the residential service, which is what pipeline is meant for. They only allow servers on their commercial package »www.charterbusinessnetworks.com/. It isn’t uncommon for charter pipeline to block various ports. What ports are blocked just depends on which pipeline area you are in it tends to vary from area to area. If you run a search on blocking or blocked ports in the forum search feature you should find a couple of previous post on this subject. Best Regards.
--
Sir, sir we don’t use DHCP brand servers! We only use IBM & Microsoft servers. Form there my call to tech support went steadily down hill.

techoncall$

join:2001-09-18
Charter-WI

reply to Ahuacamolli

The incoming transmission is blocked. If both were blocked you wouldn't be able send e-mail. This is to prevent spam and open relays.
--
The views expressed may not directly reflect those of my employer, Charter Communications

[text was edited by author 2002-02-25 20:14:17]

Ahuacamolli

Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Pacific Bell - SBC

That much I knew. The problem is really with the fact that they didn't notify anyone, including their own technical support staff, of the change ahead of time. And I say "change" because during the 2 1/2 years that I've had Charter Pipeline they had never before blocked any ports.

The situation is now moot as I intend on cancelling my subscription to Charter just as soon as as my DSL service from DSLExtreme.com is installed and working. Now there's a service contract, acceptable use policy, and terms of service that I can live with.

Thanks for responding.

demogreen

join:2001-09-25
Riverside, CA
reply to Ahuacamolli

Your information is not entirely correct. Charter has in fact blocked ports in the Riverside area before including Port 80.

HaloBox

join:2002-01-10

reply to techoncall$

said by techoncall:
The incoming transmission is blocked. If both were blocked you wouldn't be able send e-mail. This is to prevent spam and open relays.

Uh, how does blocking inbound port 25 SMTP traffic prevent outbound SPAM and relaying?

Why does Charter give a damn what type of traffic is hitting an inbound port of any kind? Unless someone has the pipe saturated for long durations, you should not be worried about it. I know we've beat this horse to death, but...

Could you folks at Charter stop screwing around with blocking and focus more on providing a stable infrastructure in a uniform way in all of your markets?

Geez, why not come up with an AUP that details aggregate use of the pipe over 30 days and leave 95% of us alone to use the connection for whatever. Hell, most of us don't care if you block port 25 inbound anyway, but why inflame other customers?

I'd love to use port 25 inbound for some very light Exchange 2000 Server testing, but then I'd want support for Dynamic DNS first. I won't hold my breath on either...I don't look good in blue...
[text was edited by author 2002-02-25 22:05:27]

techoncall$

join:2001-09-18
Charter-WI

said by HaloBox:

I'd love to use port 25 inbound for some very light Exchange 2000 Server testing, but then I'd want support for Dynamic DNS first. I won't hold my breath on either...I don't look good in blue...
[text was edited by author 2002-02-25 22:05:27]

Good. I don't want to see you in blue either.
--
The views expressed may not directly reflect those of my employer, Charter Communications

Ahuacamolli

Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to demogreen

Until Thursday of last week, my computer's port 25 had never before been blocked by Charter Pipeline. I've been with Charter since they first made cable internet access to my home in the 92507 area. No blocking at my old location. No blocking at my new location. I've run my personal mail server using port 25 unfettered since day one. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I suppose it's possible that the "Shields Up" utilities provided by Gibson Research lie... as could the Shield Probe here at DSLReports... but all three utilities have always responded correctly in controlled and other environments in the past. Never known either of them to make a mistake. And they haven't in this case.

Please note that Charter's Technical Support initially stated that Charter didn't block ANY ports. Then after I asked that he double check, he confirmed that blocking had recently been implemented. When I first subscribed to Charter I specifically asked about port blocking and was informed that Charter didn't block ANY ports. And until now that has proven to be true. I would have stuck with my ISDN service from EarthLink if I couldn't have used my personal mail server with Charter's cable internet service.

One last note. I am no longer experiencing the reported problem. It magically disappeared this morning between 6:00 a.m. PST and 10:00 a.m. PST. A member of Charter's local staff later assured me that they never blocked "outgoing" traffic... Life's just full of of contradictions, ain't it?

I'm done with Charter and this discussion. Is there anything that someone thinks I should know about DSLExtreme? So far I'm very impressed.

HaloBox

join:2002-01-10
reply to techoncall$

said by techoncall:
Good. I don't want to see you in blue either.
well, i guess you had to say something...

cbensinger

join:2001-12-01
Lake Saint Louis, MO
reply to HaloBox

My guess is that it prevents people from running mail servers with an "open relay" either intentionally or accidently. In that case it would seem like it would prevent abuse/relaying..........

schemp

join:2001-10-26
Kalamazoo, MI
reply to Ahuacamolli

I heard some Charter IP's were recently on the Orbz black list for having open relays which is probably why they started blocking smtp.
Luckley Charter is not blocking outbound port 25 in Michigan, I am still able to use my schools SMTP server, its probally coming though.

The fact is that Charters and their policies suck.
Here there are blocking all standard incoming ports except for 443(https) and 22(ssh). I will break my contract if they start filtering ssh or start using a transparent proxy like they have done in other areas. Its all a bullshit.
Get the word out Charter Sucks!

RFGeek

join:2002-02-28
Louisville, KY
reply to Ahuacamolli

Transparent Proxy good. Get informed chief.

Port 25 is blocked for good reason: the ba-zillions of kids who think that running Win2k Advanced Server is elite and wont kill the open relays they are running because lack of knowledge about the OS they use.

And when you get 30000 "H O T L O L I T A G I R L!!!" emails a day, you can rest assured that it didn't come from your neighbors' Charter Pipeline connection.

Blocking these ports are a good thing.. You may or may not remember the speeds you were getting back when all the kids' IIS servers were spraying CodeRed-worm-code like Al Pacino sprayed lead in Scarface, but I do, it was freaking horrible.

So, whine about blocked ports all you want, but if they open that crap up to anyone without a clue, your first complaint is going to be "THIS IS TOO SLOW! WAH!".

cybershawngates

@riv-dyn.charterpipel
reply to Ahuacamolli

I can confirm that port 25 is being blocked in riverside area, as I am a victim of it as well! And the most frustrating part was the flat out denial and ignorance of their lousy tech support who felt that it was a problem with my system!

Anyway, I too am going to cancel my charter pipeline and switch to DSL.

Port 80 appears to have been blocked incoming for several months and (for reasons i don't understand) they have port 443 blocked as well!

I agree that blocking incoming traffic to port 25 makes absolutely no sense....