spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

quickguide1

join:2010-02-10

Earthlink FREE dial-up to use away from home (20 hrs./mo)??

I switched from Road Runner Cable Internet to Earthlink Cable Internet today. The 29.95/month plan for 1st 6 months and then 41.95/month afterwards. Was paying 49.95/month with RR.

I see on the website they show this on the webpage of earthlink for my plan.

* Do more with cable Internet service up to 15.0Mbps
* Wow! Connect 250x faster than dial-up access**
* Enjoy instant high speed cable Internet every time
* No busy signals with your cable Internet access
* FREE protection from viruses, spyware & hackers
* FREE 24/7 phone support from cable Internet experts
* FREE dial-up to use away from home (20 hrs./mo)

Can someone explain the free dial up to use away from home 20hrs/month?

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA
kudos:1
With so many people that own datacards, mifi's or smartphones it isn't used much anymore. Not to mention as well as the wide availability and much faster speed of free WiFi in many many places

But, it is exactly as it says. You get a dial-up account, and use your laptops modem to dial-in and get internet access. Think back to the 90's when the only way to connect to internet was using dial-up over your phone line. About 9-10 years ago I used this service while away from home and it worked as advertised. Slow but it worked.
--
Mission Accomplished

thomasr

join:2010-01-21
Winston Salem, NC
You should be able to download EarthLink's dial-up software from their website. I am not sure, but they may mail you one since you just signed up - but don't depend on that info... Just download it and you should be good to go -- that is once you receive your user name and password.

quickguide1

reply to quickguide1
I'm confused. So this is for my laptop? I also don't have any of those phone plans with my phone where i get internet and my laptop has no wireless card.

Does that mean this is worthless for me? I mean, i have to have my laptop attached to a modem correct in order to use this service?

Or i can use dial up on my laptop when i'm away from my home?? I'm very confused here.

thomasr

Winston Salem, NC
said by quickguide1:

I'm confused. So this is for my laptop?

This is for any computer that has a dial-up modem. Can be you laptop or also could be a desktop.

said by quickguide1:

I also don't have any of those phone plans with my phone where i get internet and my laptop has no wireless card.

This has nothing to do with your phone plan, you would plug your dial-up modem into a land-line phone connection and use EarthLinks dial-up software to dial in like everyone used to do years ago.

said by quickguide1:

Does that mean this is worthless for me? I mean, i have to have my laptop attached to a modem correct in order to use this service? Or i can use dial up on my laptop when i'm away from my home?? I'm very confused here.

Unless you travel, my opinion is yes - it is useless. Even if you do travel, you can not do much with slow dial-up anymore - that is unless you are accessing your e-mail or some other text based services. But you most definitely can use your laptop and EarthLink's dial-up software to connect to the Internet using a land-line telephone connection connected to your laptop's modem.

quickguide1

hey thomas. Even if i travel, and with my laptop, i can actually go online still with dialup? I'm confused. Don't i need a aircard or any kind of equipment?

thomasr

Winston Salem, NC
said by quickguide1:

hey thomas. Even if i travel, and with my laptop, i can actually go online still with dialup? I'm confused. Don't i need a aircard or any kind of equipment?

As long as your latptop has a modem (most do), then yes. That is exactly what this 20/hrs free dial-up is for. All you need to do is have the EarthLink software installed, and its connection manager should be able to walk you through finding a local dial-up number.

The only "equipment" you need is a phone cord and have it plugged into a land-line phone plug.

Aircards or etc are totally different technologies that work with wireless routers or have built in cellular modems and can connect through the cell phone networks. These technologies have nothing to do with "dial-up".

XPAMD
Premium
join:2002-06-08
united state
reply to quickguide1
In all honesty you would be better off getting a USB WiFi Card.

quickguide1

So in other words, i would need to be inside right? I mean, i can't just go outside and say sit at a park and use it right? I'm getting confused because i thought my laptop has to be connected to a phone line and thus i have to be inside a building?

I know those people who use their laptops outside and have those aircards but since i don't have one, i can't use the dial up without a phone jack like in my home?

Sorry, i have not a clue about these things.

quickguide1

how much does a usb wifi card cost? But don't i have to pay like $40 per month for that plan?

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Yes, just to clarify what others have said - dial up is where you plug a phone cord (like the one for your home phone) into your laptop. Your laptop uses the earthlink software to make an actual phone call. It's very similar to a fax machine in that respect.

It is however impractical to use it while you are traveling. Most places will not have a phone line you can use and its extremely slow to use.

You may be able to use this at a hotel but they charge a ton of money for local and long distance calls. Then again, hotels generally offer wifi for free or for a modest amount.

So that out of the way, lets look at your second question.

1. Where would you like to specifically use your laptop on a regular basis? For example a specific park or your local starbucks?

Some places, like starbucks and a few parks in the NYC area, offer free WIFI. Wifi is wireless but its availability is specific to a location that might offer it. Again, like a hotel or starbucks.

2. The 2nd option is wireless 4G data using something like a data card provided by a cell phone company. Since these are using the cellular network, they have a lot more reach and you can go more places (assuming there is signal) but those tend to cost more.

Clear has some options where you could pay around the same price as you do know and you get a data card you can use at home and while travelling around. The download speeds are decent but not as fast as what you get right now. That may not be an issue for you though.

Verizon also offers 4G services and they offer similar plans.

Again it comes back to what do you need, where do you need it, and is it worth an extra cost to get it?
--
~ Insert a Funny Sig Here ~

quickguide1

Hey. No i don't use my laptop outside on regular basis. I hardly ever. I was just wondering because if i get 20 free hours on it, i thought i might as well try it for fun.

quickguide1

reply to quickguide1
hey guys

So in other words, i would need to be inside right? I mean, i can't just go outside and say sit at a park and use it right? I'm getting confused because i thought my laptop has to be connected to a phone line and thus i have to be inside a building?

I know those people who use their laptops outside and have those aircards but since i don't have one, i can't use the dial up without a phone jack like in my home?

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
said by quickguide1:

hey guys

If you want to use the dial-up, you must be connected by cord to a phone jack, which are usually located indoors. Aircards have nothing to do with dial-up.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum