how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

matt8911

join:2006-12-03
Riverside, CA

Struggling with SmartRiverside wireless connection

Hi guys I have been trying to connect reliably to the SmartRiverside wireless service here in Riverside Ca. First I upgraded my NIC to a Asus PCE-N13 802.11 b/g/n wireless Adapter (PCI-Express), with good results at one location. Took it to another location only to see problems with connecting. At first, I only used the bare driver with windows handling or coordinating the hardware. Then installed to software for the device and got intermittent connections. Tried opening ports but no joy. Tried turning off firewall and then antivirus shields and noted improvement but still low signal strength. Tried putting tower outside the window and changing direction, this worked best. Can anyone please help me as I am tired of this unusual setup(to say the least) all equipment is up to date - one possible problem is hard drive may need a firmware update).
Here is a thread with my machine specs. and possible trouble areas »forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/34···age.html hope links are ok to post Thanks in advance Guys Matt

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

Move this to wirless networking you might get some answers.

My guess you are simply out of range of the tower.
--
7000S SatMex 5 1050, Dlink wirless

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to matt8911

Or are just marginal. (better or outdoor ant might help)

By moving location you mean like from near an outside wall to within several others?
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

matt8911

Riverside, CA
reply to matt8911

Now that another downside I just lost 30 minutes of work trying to reply to you guys.
Tobicat yes and yes
Hayward Yes and no I had a similar rig with same wireless adapter two blocks away in outside garage. See ya tomorrow

matt8911

Riverside, CA
reply to matt8911

RE: lost 30 minutes I got a IE cannot display the webpage message while trying to post here last two days. I lost all my work and could not post. No offense to anyone out there Maybe I will repost in another section and update this one a little maybe Bye Guys

matt8911

Riverside, CA

Hi Guys,
Just updating this post for all who come here to see what I did to get connected.
These are the steps overall.....
1. Ensure my hardware is installed with updated drivers.
2. Move antenna outside to get a good connection(some houses have wire mesh inside the wall (plaster and wiremesh) that blocks signals [antenna is connected to my tower:( ].
3.Tried turning off Firewall and connecting with some success, however I thought I needed my firewall for protection. Found out that Avast has a sort of firewall of its own called shields(is this a British way of calling it a firewall?) here is some info on avast and blocking internet connection...»forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=66744.0 So basically disable all shields and try to connect with success. So I leave Avast shields off and windows firewall "ON" to protect PC. Later, I realized I needed open ports for DNS and DHCP functions.
So basically check my hardware and drivers and ensuring a good signal is recieved from the broadcasting antenna. Ensuring that nothing blocks the signal on my PC. Ensuring DNS and DHCP functions. And last but not least repeatedly logging in to the SmartWireless login page x 10 .......
May need to buy the antenna that they sell for better success for 130 and some change.
thanks guys

matt8911

Riverside, CA
reply to matt8911

said by matt8911:

So basically check my hardware and drivers and ensuring a good signal is recieved from the broadcasting antenna. Ensuring that nothing blocks the signal on my PC. Ensuring DNS and DHCP functions.

Well my Asus PCE-N13 gave out due to a antenna falling off, so I bought a D-Link Wireless N 300 (model DWA-130). This works OK and I built a dish outside with this device in it to receive better signal. The device came with a USB cable to allow it to connect to the dish(coffee can lined with foil) outside. This is a more reliable connection due to aiming and the dish that helps gather the signal.
I googled for the information about increasing the signal to my PC
Matt8911 out...