Are we there yet??
Premium Member
join:1999-12-06
Raleigh, NC

scots to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4

Re: [Bit Rate]Sound is getting worse.

Is this sound quality issue only on XM? I have Sirius, and it sounds perfectly fine to me. I've had Sirius since shortly after it first went live. At one point a few years ago I noticed the quality dropped on some of the talk stations, but have never noticed a quality drop on any of the music stations.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by scots:

Is this sound quality issue only on XM? I have Sirius, and it sounds perfectly fine to me. I've had Sirius since shortly after it first went live. At one point a few years ago I noticed the quality dropped on some of the talk stations, but have never noticed a quality drop on any of the music stations.

You know, I have no idea. They do use different compression methods. I used to have Sirius and never had issues, and never had issues when I first got XM, it's only been recently that I started noticing the tinny sound of compressed music. Although some people may not notice it at all, still, it's not nearly close to CD quality.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to scots

MVM

to scots
I have Sirius and I think the sound quality is not that great.

Pandora streaming off of some podunk cell phone tower sounds better. Amazingly better actually. I can't believe it.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

I agree, Slacker and Pandora sounds better and I am using the same mini jack that I plug my Sirius Radio into.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Yeah I'm surprised that cell phone towers load up with phone calls, Internet data, mms and SMS, 2-way, have the bandwidth to deliver CUSTOM ON DEMAND high quality radio stations to a small iPhone or android device. Theres something to be said for the lack of bandwidth on satellite, which only provides linear channels.

Switched networks are obviously vastly more efficient than broadcast networks.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

I'd put up with the 5-10 second gaps between songs vs stupid inane DJs.