spc
uniqs
Prot
join:2010-03-30
Somerville, MA

Prot to Waterbug

to Waterbug

Re: Timing Belt? making screeching sound

Is the serpentine belt as expensive at the timing belt to replace?

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel

Premium Member

said by Prot:

Is the serpentine belt as expensive at the timing belt to replace?

Not anywhere near as expensive. I spent maybe 2 minutes looking around on Rockauto and found serpentine belts less than $20 for that car. It's also a lot easier to replace since generally all you have to do is use a 3/8" ratchet to move the tensioner over a bit (loosens the belt) then just grab the belt and pull it off.

Small cars like that can be a bit of a pain due to lack of clearance, but as an example, I replaced the serpentine belt on our 94 Explorer in less than 5 minutes.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Prot

MVM

to Prot
As noted above- nope - the expense of the timing belt is the labor - it takes a lot of labor and time to get the timing belt changed. A few parts needs to come off the car for the timing belt.
Prot
join:2010-03-30
Somerville, MA

Prot to ironweasel

to ironweasel
Thank you very much for this issue. Will just replace it if it is not that big of a deal.

It is almost time to buy a new car, but since I have had almost no issues with this car I want to see if it has another year or two in it.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

You should have many good year - sold my '89 Civic HB 2 years ago with 214K miles on it....

Asterix
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA

Asterix

Premium Member

If it's not a Honda or Toyota.. then it's a piece of junk .. lol

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Prot

Premium Member

to Prot
said by Prot:

Thank you very much for this issue. Will just replace it if it is not that big of a deal.

It is almost time to buy a new car, but since I have had almost no issues with this car I want to see if it has another year or two in it.

And lube shop can change the belt for you...I can't see it being more than $100 installed.

BTW: You do need this belt functioning, if it snaps on a highway or something, you'll lose most of your power....