Search similar:

uniqs
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Fiber

And when ATT brings in Fiber and slowly starts pulling all that Copper- you will be forced back to ATT. ATT does NOT have to share their fiber and companies like Sonic are doing a way of the horse and buggy.

ATT has done this to several areas already but won't be mentioned here on DSLR as nobody will run the story.

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

Tobester

First of all, U-verse is not a done deal here in San Francisco.

Currently, there are hearings about whether or not to allow the refrigerator remote terminals on the sidewalk right of way.

Many areas of SF have buried gas, electric and telephone lines, so AT&T is asking for more sidewalk space than requested by other utilities. In my area, telephone and electricity have their below-ground vaults in the sidewalk right of way.

Secondly, who's to say if AT&T will sell off their copper from the Central office to another CLEC?

I guess I'll cross that bridge later. For now, Sonic is way to go.
Tobester

Tobester to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

ATT has done this to several areas already but won't be mentioned here on DSLR as nobody will run the story.

I am aware AT&T has pulled copper in some areas where they have installed U-verse, and I read it here in various postings on DSLReports.

I'm sure Sonic doesn't get to use the copper pairs for free, and is paying for the privilege too.
Expand your moderator at work
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to Tobester

to Tobester

Re: Fiber

And the FCC says that the privilege goes away. Just because you pay now doesn't mean you'll pay later. Meaning it goes away.
hottboiinnc4

1 edit

hottboiinnc4 to Tobester

to Tobester
ATT won't sell that copper. They'll take it down. Why would you sell your network to another company to turn around and compete against them? You don't do that. You take it down when you're new network is built. You didn't see cable doing that when they rebuilt to HFC and you won't see a Telco do that either.

And as far as the VARDs they can be plopped anywhere within the ROW and the city can't do anything. And if need be; ATT will go to the state and get the job done that way as they have in most states they do business in and i'm sure Cali is one of them.

Edit add; and as I thought- SF has NO say so anymore in Cali. Only the state does since 06. »arstechnica.com/hardware ··· 7873.ars

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

And the FCC says that the privilege goes away. Just because you pay now doesn't mean you'll pay later. Meaning it goes away.

The copper can't just "go away". The FCC would need to rule that there was adequate competition, which in two recent proceedings they declined to do.

To further bolster competition, the state of CA passed AB 1315 last year, which states in part that:
This bill would provide that if an incumbent local exchange
carrier files a forbearance petition with the FCC requesting that the
FCC forbear from enforcing that carrier's duty to provide to any
requesting telecommunications carrier nondiscriminatory access to
network elements on an unbundled basis at any technically feasible
point on rates, terms, and conditions that are just, reasonable, and
nondiscriminatory, within any metropolitan statistical area located
in the state, the PUC would be required to participate in that
forbearance proceeding by filing comments on the petition, providing
data on competition in the metropolitan statistical area that is the
subject of the petition, and taking any other action that advances
the state's policies promoting competition in telecommunications
markets.
See the full text here: »ftp://leginfo.public.ca.gov/pu ··· red.html

In any case, I'm not real worried about the copper disappearing, that's simply FUD at this point.

-Dane
klui
join:2001-11-08
Castro Valley, CA

klui to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
I'm no lawyer, but I think they need to share now.

»www.bloomberg.com/news/2 ··· nes.html

»yro.slashdot.org/story/1 ··· -At-Cost

EDIT: I searched the slashdot thread and it seems they are required to share access to their facilities.
»yro.slashdot.org/comment ··· 36400084

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

Tobester to DaneJasper

to DaneJasper
Thanks Dane for the clarification.

I also am not too worried about copper disappearing anytime soon, especially with the headline on DSLReports about AT&T discontinuing U-verse build out.

If AT&T did try such a move, I would definitely be speaking to the California Public Utilities Commission in support of continued competition in the marketplace.