spc
Search similar:

uniqs
themagicone
join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

themagicone

Estimating supplies for a home project

What is the best/easiest way to generate the supplies needed for a home project?

I'm adding a 12x12 2-story addition, a 12x14 deck and redoing my kitchen. I had the drafts done by a pro and now I need to convert them to a shopping list for HD/Lowes/Etc. I'm downloading Xactmate to try but it's $89 after the trial. I don't want to buy too much, but also I don't want to be at HD everyday (just did that with the electric and it sucks).

Is it ok to add up the total wall length and divide by 16" (16" OC for studs)? 72' x 12" / 16" ? + Plates?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Xactimate is crap. It's what insurance adjusters use and is usually wrong.
Shouldn't your architect provide you with a materials list?

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to themagicone

MVM

to themagicone
I don't want to sound like an ass when I say this, but it could come out that way. If you know what you are doing, you just look at the prints and make your materials list. If you don't know what you are doing, either hire someone who does, or accept that you're going to be at lowe's depot (to steal an expression) every other day. Software is no substitute for experience.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to themagicone

to themagicone
Are you building this your self? Are you trying to be a general contractor.

If you are building yourself when shopping for an architect you should have been more specific in your needs.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to themagicone

to themagicone
An hour or two with the drawings and you should be able to figure everything out.

For a rough guess:

Wall studs are easy - total length of each wall divided by 16". Add 2 per wall to double up corners or as otherwise directed in the print.

Plates are easy - 3 per wall, one bottom and a double top which is dictated by length of the wall

Windows and door openings are tougher since you will need headers, king, cripple and jack studs.

Sheathing is easy too since it will be the height/length of each wall as the determining value.

The deck drawing should be the easiest to count up the materials.
themagicone
join:2003-08-13
Osseo, MN

1 recommendation

themagicone

Thank you.

I have to admit this board is turning more into people just flaming people... I can easily do this myself, as I have framed a lot of walls - I've just never had to create a shopping list off of a draft before. I have a contractor but he has been busy finishing up another project and I wanted to get the order in so when he is done we can start asap on mine. I got the main framing members down I think (following what the last poster said). Biggest concern is the small stuff - nails, screws, etc. That is what kills the budget, $100-$200/day at HD for small crap sucks. The more I get upfront the bigger the discount as I'm going to be running this through their bid room/pro desk and I should get anywhere from 15 to 20% off.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat

MVM

Add somewhere around 10% for scrap loss... and "Oopsies"! And there will be some! Count on it! You're also going to have a board or two that is "just not suitable" for you. Especially, if they make up the load.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to themagicone

Premium Member

to themagicone
First on your list is the permitting fees, they are usually a shocker!

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to themagicone

Premium Member

to themagicone
If you have drawings of what you're going to build you just take them to a lumberyard and they will do the takeoffs and give you an estimate for free in most cases! Please note that I said lumberyard, not "Lowes Depot".