uniqs
BigDog1
Premium Member
join:2011-04-14
united state

BigDog1

Premium Member

[Wireless] e4200 configuration questions

Looking for answers to the following questions about the e4200. I purchased it yesterday. It's setup and running well but want to optimize if possible.

1. Basic Wireless settings: Default is 'mixed mode'. I always thought it's best to use wireless N only for today's devices. What does 'mixed mode' mean?

2. Channel width: Default is 'auto' for both 2.4 and 5. What does 'auto' mean? Is it better to select 20 MHz or 40 MHz?

3. Channel: Default is auto. What does auto mean? Or should I select a specific channel?

4. Other tweaks: Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your comments and/or suggestions.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

1. If you have G and N devices being used at the same time. Optimal would be putting G devices on 2.4 band and N devices on 5GHz band.

2. 20MHz for 2.4 band and 40MHz for 5GHz band.

3. Choose 1, 6 or 11 for 2.4 band. 5GHz band any channel is fine. I'm using channel 36 currently. I have always avoided auto settings and have had better results setting things up manually.
Photodude200
Premium Member
join:2011-05-08

Photodude200 to BigDog1

Premium Member

to BigDog1
BigDog1 do you have your USB port working with an attached hard drive. I try to ftp to my router the same one you have »ftp://192.168.1.1 it works but then I found out I'm just ftping into the router it self not the attached hard drive.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to BigDog1

to BigDog1
If you have *any* non-N devices (including consoles and smartphones) stay with mixed mode with any N router.

Also, before making adjustments to the default channel settings, scan the range-gate of your router (this can be done from the router itself or a laptop/notebook/netbook within the router's range-gate) - for wireless-G or single-radio N routers, channel 6 is a common default setting; I moved to channel 11 (single-radio WNR-3500v1) for that reason.
HowardP6
join:2001-03-31
Port Jefferson, NY

HowardP6 to BigDog1

to BigDog1
Mixed mode s fr 802.11B and 802.11G, or if you do not have any 802.11B devices do not use mixed mode. Channel width means you will be using two 40Mhz channels, which does not allow your older 802.11G NICs to connect. You should check how may other access pointa are around you. Most people use channel 6 in 802.11G. There are only three not overlapping changes 1, 6 and 11 so use the one that has the least numbe of nearby access point for 802.11 G.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to BigDog1

Premium Member

to BigDog1
Click for full size
Here are my basic wireless settings. I have two N computers and 2 other G devices. I find that all of my devices work well this way. Be sure to pick a different Network name (SSID) for 2.4 and 5 GHz.
HowardP6
join:2001-03-31
Port Jefferson, NY

HowardP6 to BigDog1

to BigDog1
It is not necessary to use two different SSID, except to confirm which you are connected too. As I stated before and if you select the help mixed mode is for wireless G and B clients and should only be used for the 2.4 Ghz band. If you do not have any 802.11B clients do not use it, since if there are any 802.11B on other networks in your neighborhood it will cut the transmission bandwidth. Mixed mode allows 802.11A clients to connect, so if you only have wireless N clients on the 5 Ghz band use N only or you may cut the transmission bandwidth.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by HowardP6:

It is not necessary to use two different SSID, except to confirm which you are connected too.

The reason that I have 2 different SSID names is because I like to know which band I am connected to. If you use the same SSID for both, how would you know?
BigDog1
Premium Member
join:2011-04-14
united state

BigDog1

Premium Member

Thanks all for the input!!
aleicgrant
join:2011-07-11
Orlando, FL

aleicgrant to BigDog1

to BigDog1
Hi everyone. First time poster who needs some help

I have a Linksys E4200 and an Intel wifi 6300 with a 3 antenna set up.

I am beyond confused as to what settings I need in my router to get the three stream speeds.

can some kind soul tell me what I need to use for the wireless settings in both the 5.0ghz section and the 2.4

I currently have only two items using the 2.4 which is a ps3 and my wife's laptop which cannot do N.

Thanks for the help