spc
Search similar:

uniqs

zpm
join:2009-03-23
Columbus, GA

zpm

copy protection, hdmi....

last night, here in columbus, we had a strong storm come through with lots of lighting...

i was not home when my mother says that a bolt of lighting hit very close to the house... like in the court....

basically after spending the 30 minutes on with cable support and resetting the box a couple of times, we had no success getting rid of the copy protection on the hdmi out from the cable box...

i have in the past had the same message come up and was able to get it to go away.. but not this time though i have the cable coming through coax...

i have knology coming out tomorrow...

anyone have any ideas as how to get the message to unblock and unlock.
zpm

zpm

well, tech came out earlier and he pretty much just replaced the box.....

i was kinda hoping he would work it out, but i guess not. so i have a new box... 8500 SA..

but oh joy, 5 police cars out front..
Vicious
join:2008-06-19
Ellerslie, GA

Vicious to zpm

to zpm
That copy protection message you got was from a breakdown in hdcp (High-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection).

HDCP devices are generally divided into three categories:

Source
The source sends the content to be displayed. Examples include set-top boxes, DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc players, and computer video cards. A source has only an HDCP/HDMI transmitter.[4]

Sink
The sink renders the content for display so it can be viewed. Examples include TVs and digital projectors. A sink has one or more HDCP/HDMI receivers.[4]

Repeater
A repeater accepts content, decrypts it, then re-encrypts and retransmits the data. It may perform some signal processing, such as upconverting video into a higher-resolution format, or splitting out the audio portion of the signal. Repeaters have HDMI inputs and outputs. Examples include home theater audio-visual receivers that separate and amplify the audio signal, while re-transmitting the video for display on a TV. A repeater could also simply send the input data stream to multiple outputs for simultaneous display on several screens.[4]

Each device may contain one or more HDCP transmitters and/or receivers. (A single transmitter or receiver chip may combine HDCP and HDMI functionality.)

Problems

HDCP can cause problems for users who want to connect multiple screens to a device; for example, a bar with several televisions connected to one satellite receiver. HDCP devices can create multiple keys, allowing each screen to operate, but the number varies from device to device; e.g., a Dish or Sky satellite receiver can generate 16 keys.[23] The technology sometimes causes handshaking problems where devices cannot establish a connection, especially with older high-definition displays.[24][25][26]

Edward Felten wrote "the main practical effect of HDCP has been to create one more way in which your electronics could fail to work properly with your TV," and concluded in the aftermath of the master key fiasco that HDCP has been "less a security system than a tool for shaping the consumer electronics market."

Information in this post was found at »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi ··· otection
Vicious

Vicious to zpm

to zpm
To sum all of that up, each device has either a hdcp transmitter, or a receiver (though AV receivers have both). HDCP prevents the unauthorized copying of high definition audio and video by the use of encryption keys. Whenever you turn your box and your tv on, they go through a series of handshakes. If there is anything compromising the connection to where there isn't a secure connection, then the device that is transmitting blocks the output of content. Devices broadcasting high definition content aren't allowed to broadcast to devices that aren't HDCP compatible. When that lightning bolt hit, there was a breakdown with either the hdmi port on the box, the hdmi cable, or the hdmi port on the box.

zpm
join:2009-03-23
Columbus, GA

zpm

well the tv works fine and the hdmi cable works so it was the box..

they swapped it and i was back in business.
Vicious
join:2008-06-19
Ellerslie, GA

Vicious

I've seen it be any of them. The box usually gets affected the most, though.