how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

matmo

@direct-adsl.nl

router for voice

hello,

We got fiber connection 50mbps and wanted to know what router would be best so we have both voice and data with proper qos so voice is always priority. trixbox will run behind the router

would 2900 series be good? need firewall, vpn (site to site), and management gui

any suggestion to pick the right one ( 1841, 2811, 2921. 897)..

thanks in advance

matmo

nosx

join:2004-12-27
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Any of the integrated services routers x8yy, x9yy should be able to support a low latency priority queue for voip.
As the earlier x8yy models are getting closer to their end of life they will cost less, but not perform as well and not have long term ongoing software support.
If you can afford it I would go with the 2921, that is the minimum model we deploy at work now. It is advertised to support that speed "with services".
QOS is a unidirectional mechanism, given that you specified VPN, how are you going to actually benefit from using QOS over the internet? While the RTP packets your phone system is sending will be prioritized, the return traffic will not be (becuase your upstream providers router is not prioritizing it). If someone is downloading a large file, this can result in poor or one-way audio issues.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to matmo

50Mbps symmetrical or asymmetric?

How many tunnels? Site to site, remote access or a mix?

Second nosx, but I'm not sure I'd trust an 1841 or 2811 with that kind of speed/config.

Regards

matmo

@direct-adsl.nl

thanks for replies and suggestion.

it's going to be symmetrical. up to 15 tunnels, mix.

does 1841 or 2811 has management gui or all configuration has to be using commands?

does these routers have firewall, IOS (option to allocate bandwidth) etc.

appreciate proper guidance.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

It has a "gui" in a sense via SDM, but really it's entirely command line based since it's IOS.

They do have firewalls, but if your planning to do IDS, it's going to be a significant additional cost to add the modules that can handle that.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to matmo

1841 / 2811 VPN numbers per Cisco, so judge accordingly.

As for the rest of your wishlist
- yes, firewall -- CBAC and Zone-Based
- yes, GUI management -- SDM and CCP, both of which are a seperate download
- yes, QOS -- class-based and priority q / class-based is my personal favorite

Regards