spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

timv1

join:2011-05-21
reply to MPSAN

Re: [FiOS] Some sites VERY slow to load!

Wow! I was a Verizon customer for years and my internet has worked just fine until this past weekend. Starting around Friday I started to notice some websites timed out or would take FOREVER to load! It is so annoying and I hope whatever it is they fix it because this is really BAD service! It was even a struggle to get on this forum!

GeorgeV

@comcastbusiness.net

I've been experiencing problems since Thursday evening. I called Frontier Tech Support Monday morning and was told they are having problems switching their DNS servers over from Verizon to Frontier. Tech Support had no estimate for when the problems will be solved.

Tried different DNS servers Monday night but no change. Some sites don't load, some sites load partially, some sites seem to work normally.

MPSAN

join:2001-05-15
Portland, OR

said by GeorgeV :

I've been experiencing problems since Thursday evening. I called Frontier Tech Support Monday morning and was told they are having problems switching their DNS servers over from Verizon to Frontier. Tech Support had no estimate for when the problems will be solved.

Tried different DNS servers Monday night but no change. Some sites don't load, some sites load partially, some sites seem to work normally.

Yes, they keep saying that. My GMAIL can take forever. I do not use Verizon or Frontier DNS, and I still have had these issues. I use opendns but even others make no difference. Sometimes I think they just want us all to go away. They seem to think that they would have a great job...except for all of these customers!

GeorgeV

@comcastbusiness.net

Last night service appeared to be restored to normal. We'll see how long it takes before it messes up again.

I ran NameBench from Google and Gibson's DNS Bench and updated my servers and order to the top five they recommended.

MPSAN

Portland, OR

2 edits

So, what was the best server? Anyway, I am in Portland so mine may be different. DNS Bench shows both Google servers as being the fastest and OPEN DNS is not shown. I did take the time to do a custom build for my area, so was surprised that it still showed Google DNS..

GeorgeV

@comcastbusiness.net

I don't have the numbers right now, but I do remember they changed depending on when I ran the tests. Last night I ran them on a second computer and some of the top five servers were different.

I suppose one should run the tests multiple times and look for those servers that consistently score high.

I did a speedtest.net test yesterday afternoon. The first time around the 5/15 connection I have performed abysmal. 3/10 or so was what I got. Then I ran it a second time and I got a 5+/15+ score using the same server.

MPSAN

Portland, OR

said by GeorgeV :

I don't have the numbers right now, but I do remember they changed depending on when I ran the tests. Last night I ran them on a second computer and some of the top five servers were different.

I suppose one should run the tests multiple times and look for those servers that consistently score high.

I did a speedtest.net test yesterday afternoon. The first time around the 5/15 connection I have performed abysmal. 3/10 or so was what I got. Then I ran it a second time and I got a 5+/15+ score using the same server.

Well, I will try it again. I AM on the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 DNS and it says I should change mine TO them. I AM on them. I will try again today! I even looked at the Actiontec and it said it was those DNS servers.

Psyclone

join:2002-09-29
Beaverton, OR
reply to MPSAN

I've had issues ever since Frontier took over and just haven't had the 3+ hours I envision it will take to resolve the speed issues(I get maybe 20 down on my 25/25 connection), the streaming problems(youtube buffers like mad, particularly in the evenings, reminds me of the whole shared trunk issue that Cable has), high pings when gaming online(again more prevalent in the evenings), and the slow loading/not loading sites like this thread describes.

I also wonder if they want us to just go away. I can't for the life of me figure out why they'd dump the money into picking up all of the old verizon assets only to do a half assed job at supporting them. Even if they want TV to go away and become solely an ISP, they haven't proven to me that they can handle the job. I have been a Verizon customer since 99, starting with DSL and I've noticed more issues with my internet in the few months since Frontier took over than I have had during the entire past 12 years with Verizon. Frustrating.

MPSAN

Portland, OR
reply to MPSAN

Well, I just reloaded my list and here in Portland it is showing the 2 U of WA as the fastest DNS! I am going to try them and see what happens!

BillyJoe

@50.55.202.x

I'm in rural North Carolina and am seeing the same issues here. Download speeds .04 - .10 Mps, 849 ms pings, etc. For an hour or so every other night speeds will approach normal, then DNS fails or speeds plummet. Repeated calls to Frontier result in assurances that things will be fixed "in the next few weeks". But, they've been saying that since February, so...

Helpful Hint

@cox.net
reply to MPSAN

Yes GMAIL, Yahoo, and AOL have been having tremendous problems with regards to https. Have your tried clearing your SSL slate and ensuring your browser is utilizing SSL 2.0 The open dns is great, but some of the crossover backbones are having trouble routing based on class C IP addresses, the 50.xxx.xxx.xxx that you are supplied. The best thing I would reccomend is make sure you telnet to the site or at least run a traceroute to the site before making changes to DNS configuration. The migration from Verizon DNS to Frontier DNS has been long completed, unfortunatley for business customers, they are still experiencing issues due to migration of static ips until around June 30. I would like to see more examples of these speed issues and current settings in the router if possible. For those using speedtest.net, are you being mindful of geolocation that routes to NY and KS and moving to a local server before testing?

Helpful Hint

@cox.net
reply to GeorgeV

How do you have provisionig for 5 down and 15 up?