OldschoolDSL
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

[Rant] 2 years worth of RAIN

I've complained about it.
I've called.
I've written.

Now going on 2 years of my Comcast signal going to hell during the rain. Over 20 service calls and 25 visits by Comcast.

They have replaced the wire going from the pole to the house.
They have replace the wire going from the side of the house to inside.
They have replaced the inside wires.
They have replaced the inside outlet.
They have "changed" the filters (so they have claimed) on the pole.

The only thing they have not replaced is the outside splitter (the ones that divides the wire from the pole to the house). Which I can not seem to get ANYONE to change / remove.

I'm f**king tired of this sh*t. I'd happily switch to someone else if there was the option.
--
HP Pavilion a6750f (tweaked)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 * Mac OS Snow Leopard
»www.SociallyUncensored.eu - Tired of feeling censored?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
Have you posted in the Comcast Direct forum?

»Comcast Direct
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to OldschoolDSL
And before anyone replies...

They have switched the modems (theirs).
I have purchased 2 of my own modems.
I have switched 3 routers
I have done direct connect
I have done wireless.
I have switched network cards.
I have switched PC's
I have switched OS's (Operating Systems).

I have noticed this affect my xBox 360
I have noticed this affect my VoIp Phone
So it is not just computer setups.

And YES... ONLY during the RAIN.
Not snow.
Not wind.
Not on a sunny day.
Just the rain.

Why does Cable feel like Dish?!
--

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Have you posted in the Comcast Direct forum?

»Comcast Direct

In the past, YES.

I have been IGNORED.

Best reply I ever got was.... And I Quote ....

"This isn't something we can help with. This is something your local tech will need to resolve"

Problem about that is my local guys AND their supervisors all seem like they know jack-sh**
--

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to OldschoolDSL
You could post in the direct forum »Comcast Direct
OR
you could get a quality splitter (from comcast or online) and replace it your self
OR
You could test it by pouring water over it on a dry day and see if that causes it
OR you could continue to whine and live with the poor signal.
I don't think it would take ME 2 years to find a more effective solution to a simple problem.

BTW you are correct that the local tech SHOULD just do it, but if they won't, find another way.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 edit
I think he's talking about the ped not a normal splitter
if he is talking about the TAP then I think its in comcast's hands only

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

You could post in the direct forum »Comcast Direct
OR
you could get a quality splitter (from comcast or online) and replace it your self
OR
You could test it by pouring water over it on a dry day and see if that causes it
OR you could continue to whine and live with the poor signal.
I don't think it would take ME 2 years to find a more effective solution to a simple problem.

I neither have the tools or the know how on replacing that splitter. It's not mounted with your typical screws & outside wall mount.

Nor would I know where to purchase one for outside that could handle all weather. Further is it illegal here (no lie) to remove or replace Comcast equipment here (friend did this and got fined).
--

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

I think he's talking about the ped not a normal splitter
if he is talking about the Tep then I think its in comcast's hands only

^^ This (I think)
--

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Ok you mean the TAP.
Repost in the direct forum using the correct terminology, and they will probably better understand that this is a plant/tech problem, not a homewiring problem.

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
said by tshirt:

Ok you mean the TAP.
Repost in the direct forum using the correct terminology, and they will probably better understand that this is a plant/tech problem, not a homewiring problem.

Local tech will not replace it (even though its the only thing they have not yet replaced).

Beyond that... The local guys just try to sell me "junk". New service, new equipment, ect.. ect...

Best they do is show up on a nice, sunny day... Plug in, tell me my signal is good (sometimes to good they claim).... And then try to sell me stuff.

Edit: And if at that time they can not "find" an issue... I'm likely to be billed for the service call. Which of course they will not on a sunny day.
--

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to OldschoolDSL
Post this in the direct forum.

Would be very thankful if someone could finally fix this.

Not ignore me, not try to sell me something, and not try to bill me for something I never received.
--

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
Are your service calls within 30 days of eachother? If not, make them. Once you hit more than 2, it starts triggering alarms to some higher ups that people have to start answering for.
--
Retired Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to OldschoolDSL
post signal levels, when it rains again post the levels again when you are actually having trouble. This splitter(tap) that other homes are connected to, do they have internet or phone? Are they having documented trouble too?

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to OldschoolDSL
There could be water seeping into the tap. Mine is aerial so I have never checked myself, but when a technician pulled the plate/cover off he said there was some moisture in there that he took care of. It can't be to hard to take it off..maybe some screws or something. To me if they are working at the tap area it would be something I would pop off to at least look at.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Ok you mean the TAP.
Repost in the direct forum using the correct terminology,

If we're discussing terminology, that's still ambiguous and not completely accurate. In the cable world, this is also a "tap", which is back in the splitter realm:

»ii.alatest.com/product/600x400/a···ay-0.jpg

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
I think we're talking about these
»www.antronix.net/Products/catego···a467cabe

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

said by tshirt:

Ok you mean the TAP.

If we're discussing terminology, that's still ambiguous and not completely accurate. In the cable world, this is also a "tap", which is back in the splitter realm:

I used to work in the "cable world" and we NEVER called that (A splitter) a tap. A tap is not connected to drop cable like a splitter is.
--
»www.TheExoticFish.com

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to DarkLogix
said by ctggzg:

said by tshirt:

Ok you mean the TAP.

said by DarkLogix:

What's on the side of my house, looks like a cross between these two. Neither photo above does it exact justice, but imagine something morphed between them and you'll have an idea on what's on the side of my house.

I was told the "tap" is on the telephone pole. But maybe I was misinformed. Have no idea what's inside the box on the pole... Do know in the past they have found "water" in it once (have a few theads about that, if anyone wants to search).

I also know they've re-wired that box on the pole a few times (sometimes wires are all nice inside it and others times they seem exposed).
--

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
reply to DarkLogix
And it seems that they are aerial as well, not in a ped.

said by OldschoolDSL:

They have replaced the wire going from the pole to the house.

They could try a different tap port and/or just change the faceplate already. They seem to have gotten enough people involved after two years that someone should have been able to make the leap and that decision. Especially if the problem doesn't manifest itself up and down the feeder or affect the TV freqs/digital voice as well.

Hopefully pole means the big tall tree looking thing with a bunch of wires on it and no branches, needles or leaves........
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

THZNDUP
Premium
Lard
reply to ExoticFish
Most would call it a 6db mini-DC* or something to that effect. It's not a splitter, just looks similar to one. Have to read the small print........

DC=Directional Coupler
(not direct current passing)
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

webbuz

@sbcglobal.net
reply to OldschoolDSL
Sorry to hear that being a field tech sounds like an open very small in the distrabution cable from pole to pole. Got squirrels? don't think it's your SNI on your house. DEFINATELY A GROUND

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to THZNDUP
Kept trying to understand why you kept pointing out the word "pole".

Looked up the spelling and the meaning of the word... Was using it correctly.

Telephone Pole
Utility Pole

A pole... ie... Large stick or rod

Webster: Pole - a long slender usually cylindrical object (as a length of wood)
»www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pole
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to ExoticFish
said by ExoticFish:

I used to work in the "cable world" and we NEVER called that (A splitter) a tap. A tap is not connected to drop cable like a splitter is.

Looks like that is a DC (Directional Coupler) tap..

[EDIT]

Sorry for the echo THZNDUP See Profile, didn't see your post before I posted.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to webbuz
said by webbuz :

Sorry to hear that being a field tech sounds like an open very small in the distrabution cable from pole to pole. Got squirrels? don't think it's your SNI on your house. DEFINATELY A GROUND

Rain saturates soil, ruins house ground and forces use of cable feed as ground???

THZNDUP
Premium
Lard

1 recommendation

reply to OldschoolDSL
said by OldschoolDSL:

Kept trying to understand why you kept pointing out the word "pole".

Looked up the spelling and the meaning of the word... Was using it correctly.

Telephone Pole
Utility Pole

A pole... ie... Large stick or rod

Webster: Pole - a long slender usually cylindrical object (as a length of wood)
»www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pole

Only used it twice.

My first mention was merely pointing out your use of it in your first post as some seemed to be going off on a tangent with peds, etc. and didn't read it (or believe you).

My second mention was to disallow a potential misuse of the term, as evidenced in the use of splitters/taps in this thread. I just wanted to make sure your service was coming from an overhead location using poles as opposed to an underground one using vaults or peds/pedestals. Some comic relief was also attempted.

Wait till I try to get you to clarify "the box on the pole"................
--

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to OldschoolDSL
It sounds like they have replaced a lot but if the outside splitter coming into the house is not in a service box and the coax connectors were not installed properly and the ones with O-rings you will have water leaking in on the stinger which is basically the same is a strand of braid wrapped around it.The list of things and where they are at is long and if a sub contractor did any of the terminating or a comcast tech depending on if they half ass or not you could be getting water in through a line that has no drip loop which makes water run away from the connector instead of to it.the splitter should be sealed but anything can happen and with it happening only when it rains you have water leaking in on the stinger some damn where.Replacing the splitter won't usually stop a leak because the connectors is what seals to the port not vise versa.

Let me stress just because something is new or has been replaced is not a 100% guarantee that it was done right.Go on you tube and watch some of these "techs" install connectors lol,not comcast but one guy with 16 years and in 16 years he still has not learned because they set the depth on the strippers to cut to the inner foil so the don't have to mess with cutting the outer foil out and folding all the braid back against the jacket which makes it much tighter and better shielded.Its not as stupid as screwing a screw on connector onto the jacket with no shielding at all folded back but it comes in a close second and their will be know-it-alls who say the inner piece still slides down in the braid but that's why so many people half ass shit because these type people claim so and so is good enough instead of installing whatever it may be the best it possibly can be installed which mean properly not "good enough".

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18
reply to OldschoolDSL
said by OldschoolDSL:

said by ctggzg:

said by DarkLogix:

What's on the side of my house, looks like a cross between these two. Neither photo above does it exact justice, but imagine something morphed between them and you'll have an idea on what's on the side of my house.

You don't have an amp on the outside of your house do you?
I've seen it happen before

Pics please.

It is also entirely possible that your "tap" (this is on the line near the pole) is "watered out" and needs replacement. Most cable companies have a line or construction tech do this kinda thing....a service tech can't in most areas.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to OldschoolDSL
said by OldschoolDSL:

said by tshirt:

Ok you mean the TAP.

Local tech will not replace it (even though its the only thing they have not yet replaced).

Beyond that... The local guys just try to sell me "junk". New service, new equipment, ect.. ect...

Best they do is show up on a nice, sunny day... Plug in, tell me my signal is good (sometimes to good they claim).... And then try to sell me stuff.

Edit: And if at that time they can not "find" an issue... I'm likely to be billed for the service call. Which of course they will not on a sunny day.

Weird. Most cable co. that I have dealt with will replace it as a diagnostic procedure, if the reading was poor and the splitters/grounding blocks checked out. I had mine changed a few times when I had TWC. A couple times, it actually solved the problem.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06

1 edit
reply to OldschoolDSL
said by OldschoolDSL:

said by ctggzg:

said by tshirt:

Ok you mean the TAP.

said by DarkLogix:

I was told the "tap" is on the telephone pole. But maybe I was misinformed. Have no idea what's inside the box on the pole... Do know in the past they have found "water" in it once (have a few theads about that, if anyone wants to search).

I also know they've re-wired that box on the pole a few times (sometimes wires are all nice inside it and others times they seem exposed).

Please post a picture of the what you are talking about. That will clear all this up.
--
Retired Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to OldschoolDSL
Don't really have a digital camera to be posting photos with... Sorry...

But we "maybe" having some progress. Posted this in The Comcast Direct Forum and Comcast Steve had someone call me...

Love Google Voice.... (edited out personal information)

quote:

Yes, Hi, this is Roger **** with Comcast. Executive Customer Care. I got an email forwarded me stating that you're having some service issues. I'm gonna need to have a tech come out and take a look at that. My number here is (860) ***-****. Again (860) ***-****. Please give me a call so we can set up a technician to come on soon. Thank you.

Appointment for tomorrow

Wednesday, May 18th, 2011 - Between the hours of 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM EST (Eastern Standard Time)

So we'll see what happens & also how the weather is tomorrow. I'm hoping it raining cats & dogs tomorrow. Not to make the work harder for the techs, but so that they can see the issue.
--