spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dakewe
join:2010-07-12
Mckeesport, PA

dakewe

[DIRECTV] Hello, Questions about DVR.

Ok, i currently have DTV HD and 3 other SD boxes. I got a "used" DVR box, can I use the DVR box if I ran another cable to the DVR box?
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

Yes and you can also just use it with one cable. when configuring it set it to one tuner
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc to dakewe

to dakewe
what is the model number of the BOX? Then maybe someone here can you reasonable answer?
dakewe
Mckeesport, PA

dakewe

The model number is R16-300.
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc

Running two Cables from your dish to the R-16 will allow you to view one show and record another-After you add the DVR service to your D* account.

Or you can add it to your account with one cable and no dvr service and use it as a receiver only.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22 to dakewe

to dakewe
First off, the R16 is a leased unit (no matter if someone "paid" an upfront fee - that's an offset for the units cost, it's still a leased unit and MUST be returned to D* with account cancellation). So, how did you get the "used" DVR? If you bought it (ebay, craigs list, etc.) or someone gave it to you, then D* will not activate it. It has to be returned to D*. If you just connect it up, then it will probably not authorize. If you call D*, they will not activate it - they will want you to return it.

If by some chance it is a purchased unit, then D* will want you to buy a new access card ($20). You will also have to add the DVR service to your account.

The R16 is a SWM based box so if you have a SWM based system (single wire) then you only need to run 1 cable to it for both tuners to work. If you have older 2-wire setup, then you will need to either run 2 wires to it for both tuners (providing your multiswitch has open ports) or upgrade to a SWM system.

But... I think you are in trouble from the get-go with having picked up a "used" leased receiver. Bottom line is it won't get activated. Sorry.
dakewe
Mckeesport, PA

dakewe

Someone gave it to me if you wanted to know, and I will return it to the person.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp

Premium Member

You can call up and check the status of it. It is certainly possible it is an owned unit now

Storm97
Premium Member
join:2003-04-14
Manteca, CA

Storm97

Premium Member

said by comp:

You can call up and check the status of it. It is certainly possible it is an owned unit now

Concur... it would not hurt to call into DTV and ask them to check the RID to see if leased... In my personal experience, DTV was more than willing to ship a replacement receiver free of charge (well, $20 for "shipping") in lieu of activating a receiver that we found to be leased... Had them do it for more than a few of my customers!