spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hiptechboy

join:2009-09-02
Stockton, CA

[Signals] Is this upstream channel bonding?

Click for full size
Signal Stats
Click for full size
Channel Bonding Lights
I saw two Comcast trucks about an hour ago and then the internet went out about 10minutes ago. Did a powercycle and saw both the send and receive lights turn blue (upstream and downstream channel bonding). What happened to the forum sticky about upstream channel bonding?

Here's a speedtest for Blast (20/2).

The only difference is that I'm able to hit 4 instead of 3 more easily.

Shaper probe finally goes up to 4mbps with powerboost.

DiffProbe beta release. October 2009. Build 1002.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.168.215.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4153 Kbps.
Downstream: 29585 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 10645-10726 KB;
Shaping rate: 2128 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19372-19759 KB;
Shaping rate: 21298 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Yes, you are now bonding 3 upstream channels, which is very good. You won't benefit from it much now, but in the near future it will be very good to have. So congrats on upstream bonding!

hiptechboy

Stockton, CA
Ok, I remembered a member saying that some places had multiple channels show up in modem stats that weren't actually being bonded so I just wanted to make sure.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
said by hiptechboy:

Ok, I remembered a member saying that some places had multiple channels show up in modem stats that weren't actually being bonded so I just wanted to make sure.

Well you are bonding on the upstream, and no one can tell you otherwise. So you should never have a problem getting your 2mbps on the upload. Like I said above you won't benefit from it now, but in the near future you will. But you are atleast one step closer to faster upload speed then most others on here. So enjoy!

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to hiptechboy
What I found strange was that upstream ch id 7 was 16 qam while the other 2 upstream channels were 64 qam.
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/afe201cb84d45c88

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
Just rebooted my modem and here they be. Last reboot was 15 days ago. I'm down in Clovis, CA.

Speedtest results are about the same, though, 50/10.

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:109
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

What I found strange was that upstream ch id 7 was 16 qam while the other 2 upstream channels were 64 qam.

That's going to be a pretty typical setup until all D1.1 modems are removed from the network.

crucialcolin

join:2004-09-12
Roseville, CA
reply to hiptechboy
nice looks like you have upstream bonding :)

Still a single upstream channel up here in Roseville near Sacramento after modem reboot to make sure.

Btw I'm curious if your on blast and if your still at 2mbps upstream or doubled to 4mbps? Shaper probe still shows 2 here.

DiffProbe beta release. October 2009.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.98.51.17.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 3738 Kbps.
Downstream: 31055 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 10220-10281 KB; Shaping rate: 2053 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 8190-8329 KB; Shaping rate: 26768 Kbps.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

--
»www.crucialcolin.com/ | »www.pcgeektech.com

Oedipus

Yuck, 16QAM upstream.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to lilstone87

said by lilstone87 See ProfileLike I said above you won't benefit from it now, but in the near future you will. But you are atleast one step closer to faster upload speed then most others on here. So enjoy!

I disagree. TCP ACK's technically will now have better performance with the larger return pipe.
Expand your moderator at work

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to FFH5

Re: [Signals] Is this upstream channel bonding?

said by FFH5:

There is nothing wrong with the bonding of multiple return carriers that are of dissimilar modulation schemes.

crucialcolin

Roseville, CA
reply to hiptechboy
hrm just realized my downstream power level was a bit on the higher side yesterday. Its now back down to -8(7) dBmV ish.

Anyways aren't most people still on QAM 16 for the upstream?
--

hiptechboy

Stockton, CA
reply to crucialcolin
I'll get back to you on that, the posting system is messing up my posts for some reason.

Oedipus

reply to crucialcolin
said by crucialcolin:

As far as I've seen, no.

hiptechboy

Stockton, CA

1 edit
reply to hiptechboy
Yep I'm on Blast. Online says 20/4 with powerboost, but last December Comcast Steve said my area was, "25/2.5 with powerboost 20/2 sustained." The sustained speeds are still correct, but earlier this year the download powerboost figure increased to 30mbps. As for the upload powerboost, I would previously get 4mbps, but now after the upstream channel bonding upgrade, I've noticed that I'm able to get an upload powerboost in the 4mbps range every time. It's weird how my upload shaper probe results would fluctuate between a few kbps yo at most 3mbps, but now I get 4mbps every time it checks for my unshaped upload speed.

Other improvements that I noticed (whethere or not related to the upgrade) were me finally being able to upload items in the mbps range of kbps range to mediafire (despite speedtests telling me that I was getting 2mbps). My jitter tests would previously display results higher than 10ms frequently (except in the mornings), but now they are always less than 5ms. So I'm not sure what they did to the network to bring these improvements.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 edit
reply to crucialcolin
said by crucialcolin:

hrm just realized my downstream power level was a bit on the higher side yesterday. Its now back down to -8(7) dBmV ish.

What exactly is the "higher side" ? Do you mean that it is in the + range ? FWIW, if that is so, there is no way that either the forward or the return power level should be making such wide intermittent swings. There is something radically wrong somewhere if they are.

Not necessarily "most"..

crucialcolin

Roseville, CA

4 edits
Actually just to clarify high as within the number itself(not - or +) and being just inside the outer limits. I just checked again and now its down to -3.

I would not be surprised something is wrong as it does seems to be fluctuating for some reason especially with the constant weather and outside temps staying between 50-80 F of late. We just had a string of random cable outages last weekend were the signal(net & tv) intermittently goes completely out for a few minutes at time as well. It's an issue that likes to pop up about once a month too.

Whenever I get a chance I'll have a look at the office in town as we just got Business class instated with a 3.0 gateway(SMCD3G) if it displays the signal status to see if what is getting for upstream QAM.
--

crucialcolin

Roseville, CA

1 edit
reply to hiptechboy
Yeah I think it's always said 20/4 for us online as well.

Just a few differences I noticed. The upload usually shows around 3.5-4mbps for powerboost then its still shaped down to 2mbps here(as evident by shaper probe results). Also I used to get downstream power boost speeds in the 60mbps-100mbps+ range with Blast up until about late march. Now its down to the same 30ish you see.

The sustained downstream speed seems to have been bumped up a little as well. Shaper probe used to show around 21mbps its since gone up to 26mbps.
--

crucialcolin

Roseville, CA
reply to hiptechboy
Just had a chance to look at the business class line. Its got 64 QAM for the upstream. No channel bonding though yet.

So I'm not sure why were stuck on 16 here :/

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 edit
said by crucialcolin:

Just had a chance to look at the business class line. Its got 64 QAM for the upstream. No channel bonding though yet.

So I'm not sure why were stuck on 16 here :/

It doesn't matter if one is on business class or residential, either is still connected to the same CMTS and whatever type of transmit carrier/s is/are configured/available can be being used at any given time and may change at any time due to DCC's (Dynamic Channel Changes) caused by noise or load balancing needs.

dimitrib90

join:2005-03-17
Vallejo, CA
reply to hiptechboy
Click for full size
Just restarted my modem and Ive got two upstream channels here in vallejo as well. Thanks Comcast!!

elkido124

@comcast.net
im near roseville ca, no upstream bonding yet.. come on comcast

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to dimitrib90
I get 10 Mbps upstream during power boost and never anything less than my provisions 5 Mbps, so unless they are going to be adding more upload speed to the speed tiers, I'll reserve my thanks.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

noisefloor

join:2010-05-09
reply to hiptechboy
In most areas 16qam sits empty so it makes sense to utilize it.

altdel

join:2003-08-20
Danville, CA

2 edits
reply to hiptechboy
Rebooted my modem this morning and saw two upstream channels for the first time (Danville, CA). I'm on Teleworker 12/2 plan, and my upstream (w/powerboost) went from around 3.5 to 7.4Mbps. ShaperProbe results: Estimated Capacity upstream 7420Kbps, downstream > 100Mbps; shaping rate upstream 2128Kbps, burst size = 8MB, downstream 12768Kbps burst size = 20MB.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
Looks like it's only the bay area that's getting the bonded channels. I haven't seen anyone chime in from the Sacramento area reporting multiple upstream bonded channels.

I tried rebooting my modem Friday, I guess I'll try it every few days to see if it starts happening here (El Dorado Hills, ~30 miles east of Sacramento).
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to altdel
get that bonding over here

saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA
reply to hiptechboy
Getting 3 upstream channels in Saratoga now.

crucialcolin

Roseville, CA
reply to pflog
yep seems to be the Bay area and San Joaquin valley only so far.

I'm not to worried about it being stuck on 16 QAM still at the house. It wont make much of a difference overall anyways if the upstream is still shaped down to 2megs on blast.

More then anything I'm concerned with the slight variation in downstream power levels(-10 to -3 dBmV range) over the course of a day and the possibility of increased noise levels. I doubt either would be enough to request a truck roll from Comcast as well.