how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NinthShot

@charter.com

Integrated T1: Paetec or AT&T?

Hello-

I'm working on getting a bonded T1 service (two T1s for 3Mbps) for my company to upgrade us from our 3/0.5 DSL. This will be an integrated T1 that combines both voice and data. Right now I have quotes from both Paetec and AT&T, and the pricing is pretty much a wash between them.

Given this, my question is: who would be the better choice, Paetec or AT&T? I'm a techie but not a telecom/networking guy (but am learning a lot in researching this), so please try to keep the acronyms and telecom jargon to a minimum.

By the way, it's AT&T's copper in my area so I'm sure that Paetec is just reselling from AT&T.

Thanks for any opinions you can provide. I want to make sure I point my company in the right direction.

Jspoc007

@spcsdns.net

Paetec is not reselling at&t. At&t is only providing the last mile. Paetec is a better fit for this size deal. Using the paetec web portal will be a key. The integrated voice and data circuit is something paetec has been doing for a very long time. Longer than at&t. Paetec had built their business on converged voice and data. Their customer service rating is much higher than at&t. Check out the ratings. Good luck.

ports

@atx.com
reply to NinthShot

Where are you located, I may be able to help you with a better quote? street address, city, and zip.

TeleServPro
Premium
join:2009-08-24
reply to NinthShot

For me I would go Paetec all the way.. AT&T is always a 'last resort' option. Btw, unless you're in a pretty rural area, more carriers may be available. Feel free to request a search here:
»ISP b2b etc

supergeeky

join:2003-05-09
United State
kudos:3
reply to NinthShot

I agree that other vendors have more competitive offerings than AT&T, but consider... since Paetec (or any other vendor) is on AT&T's wire's this usually means Paetec NOC or tech support are the only ones that will have to call and dispatch AT&T if there is a local loop problem. In many part of IL anyway, AT&T won't recognize your complaint/call of an issue with the circuit if you are not buying the service directly from them.

I can't say how "fast" or how "good" a relationship Paetec has with AT&T such that when you call Paetec to complain of a problem, how fast they will actually work that down to a ticket with AT&T and get your service restored.

In most every case Paetec (I believe there referred to as a CLEC in this instance) can only touch their end of the equipment and you the customer's end, everything inbetween has to be done by an AT&T tech. This "delay" in one tech support making a ticket with another tech support is a major sticking point with me.

If your in a "good" area where AT&T doesn't neglect their infrastructure and your relatively close to the CO and your line physically doesn't travel through too many cross-boxes or ground vaults to get to the CO, perhaps this won't be as big of a problem for you.

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:1

said by supergeeky:

I agree that other vendors have more competitive offerings than AT&T, but consider... since Paetec (or any other vendor) is on AT&T's wire's this usually means Paetec NOC or tech support are the only ones that will have to call and dispatch AT&T if there is a local loop problem. In many part of IL anyway, AT&T won't recognize your complaint/call of an issue with the circuit if you are not buying the service directly from them.

I can't say how "fast" or how "good" a relationship Paetec has with AT&T such that when you call Paetec to complain of a problem, how fast they will actually work that down to a ticket with AT&T and get your service restored.

From my experience, if the ILEC isn't easy to deal with, you're almost always better off going through a good CLEC. I only say that because a CLEC will usually have more leverage with the ILEC compared to you going out and getting a connection directly from the ILEC. This is for when issues arise.

But of course it all depends on the CLEC. Paetec seems to have a pretty good reputation. I would personally rather deal with a company like Paetec than a larger ILEC like AT&T. But that's me.
Expand your moderator at work

mikkopel

join:2002-10-25
Haverstraw, NY
reply to BlueC

Re: Integrated T1: Paetec or AT&T?

said by BlueC:

From my experience, if the ILEC isn't easy to deal with, you're almost always better off going through a good CLEC. I only say that because a CLEC will usually have more leverage with the ILEC compared to you going out and getting a connection directly from the ILEC. This is for when issues arise.

But of course it all depends on the CLEC. Paetec seems to have a pretty good reputation. I would personally rather deal with a company like Paetec than a larger ILEC like AT&T. But that's me.

You're probably right about the leverage thing. I've been stuck with Paetec with VZ delivering the last mile, and it's been rough. At the same time I've had a T1 directly from VZ, which hasn't been easy either.

The problem is that VZ has been very good at ignoring all repair requests and delaying them. Regardless of who puts in the ticket. And then the extra layer gets frustrating.

But then again, it really depends on the area and the copper condition etc.

NinthShot

@charter.com
reply to NinthShot

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

What I'm taking away from this is:
Paetec would be easier to work with overall, but using them might make it harder to get problems resolved due to the addition of a "middleman". Is that correct?

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:1

Yes and no.

If you were to cut out the middle man and have problems with service, you'd still be at the mercy of the ILEC.

My whole theory is that the middle man (CLEC) may be able to apply more pressure on the ILEC as they are a larger entity than just a single customer. They will also know the shortcuts to get things escalated quicker.

It, of course, varies between markets.

Expand your moderator at work