spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bearchaser
@qwest.net

bearchaser

Anon

[Connectivity] Self Install Question

At the beginning of April I switched from Comcast to Qwest DSL. Qwest is not working out very well for me (long story) and I am on the verge of switching back to Comcast. I owned my cable modem, which I still have. Question is, do I need the self install kit if I already have my own modem? When I go thru the online ordering process it seems to require me to buy the self install kit even though I specified that I own the modem.

Also since I already have the modem, how fast can I be up and running? Can I order it and be up immediately or will I have to wait for some provisioning to take place?
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Depends on whether you still have tv service thru them. If you still have tv service you should be able to call and activate it over the phone. If you canceled both then they may have came out and disconnected the line at the tap. which is at the very least a self install if that happened. But if its disconnected at the tap a self install is really isnt possible. If you read the fine print on the self install you will see you need to be a active customer for that option.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to bearchaser

Premium Member

to bearchaser
said by bearchaser :

Also since I already have the modem, how fast can I be up and running? Can I order it and be up immediately or will I have to wait for some provisioning to take place?

An easy way to answer your own question would be to simply connect your modem to the CATV jack on the wall and see if you get sync. If you get sync, connect a PC and see if you have a public IP address (and if you get redirected to the "walled garden" page). If that happens, you can just call and order the HSI service (and possibly get your modem registered again at the same time). If not, then as rody_44 said, you may have been physically disconnected, and that will require an installer to reconnect you.

bearchaser
@qwest.net

bearchaser

Anon

thanks for that tip, I will try connecting the modem and see what happens. I forgot to mention but yes I do still have TV service with Comcast.
bearchaser

bearchaser to NetFixer

Anon

to NetFixer
Update: I connected the modem and when I try to go to comcast.com it redirects me to an activation page. So looks like I do have connectivity still. Good news I hope.