spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gokou340
join:2011-05-19
Kuna, ID

gokou340

Issue with 50MB Connection

So I got my new connection setup yesterday, with a SBG6580 Motorola Wireless Router/Modem. I tested the download speed around 4PM MST by downloading something through astraweb newsbin server, and was only getting 3MB down. Which is nice, so I waited until Midnight to do some heavy downloading, and I am only getting 2.4mb and can't get anywhere near 4-5MB. I verified with both speedtest.net, and cableones speed test that it is getting 50MB down and 1.7MB up. Was wondering if this is normal, or if something is wrong. I do plan on calling CableOne, but wanted to get some answers from other places than just CableOne

Also, I live in Kuna, ID

Thanks!

grouper
@vthm.com

grouper

Anon

Post this on cable one facebook page. Somebody will respond from cable one.

blueshour
@cableone.net

blueshour to gokou340

Anon

to gokou340
1) Was the test done through a wired or wireless connection?

2) You say at midnight you were only getting 2.4mb, I assume you meant 2.4MB?

3) Your max theoretical throughput on your connection is 6.25MB. In real world applications you're likely to see 80-85% of that.

4) The server you are downloading from may not have had the bandwidth to provide you with what your connection was capable of.
gokou340
join:2011-05-19
Kuna, ID

gokou340

Well, I thought that astraweb might be throttling me too, so I got another account with a different use group and added them as well, but didn't even max out my connection.

I had 20 connections going to astraweb, and 20 connections going to usenet.com.

So I don't think its something with the servers. But I could be wrong.

DoolOK
join:2002-03-05
Ponca City, OK

DoolOK to gokou340

to gokou340
You should know that when using a wireless cable modem with Docsis 3.0, you will not get anything near 50mb with anything OTHER than "N" capable wireless gear (netcards, routers, ect). The B/G standards aren't capable of handling the speeds that N is, so when you run out to purchase new wireless equipment, make sure it's N capable.

areoh
join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

areoh to gokou340

to gokou340
Try a different, non-standard usenet port in your client.

bksmith5
Tagging along
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Charlotte, NC

bksmith5 to DoolOK

Premium Member

to DoolOK
said by DoolOK:

You should know that when using a wireless cable modem with Docsis 3.0, you will not get anything near 50mb with anything OTHER than "N" capable wireless gear (netcards, routers, ect). The B/G standards aren't capable of handling the speeds that N is, so when you run out to purchase new wireless equipment, make sure it's N capable.

Good call. The Cable Modem that the OP purchased is 802.11n compliant. The question would then point towards the OP's wireless device(s). If they are B/G only then what you said continues to be true.

Just wanted to toss this out there as well.
az00935
Premium Member
join:2010-09-09

az00935 to gokou340

Premium Member

to gokou340
In the absence of 802.11b devices, you can set up a link at 54 Mbps using 802.11g. This is faster than the wire speed of Cable One's "up to 50 Mbps" plan. I find it a lot easier to do, as 802.11n seems fussier to set up, at least at my place.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

You will never achieve 54 mbps real world speed over any 802.11g wireless connection due to data overhead. Real world speeds are roughly half that at most so you'd be looking at close to 27 mbps or more likely closer to 20 mbps.

802.11n, on the other hand, can handle 50 mbps internet speeds assuming you've got a good signal. N150 can handle close to 75 mbps and N300 can handle close to 150 mbps I believe.

bksmith5
Tagging along
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Charlotte, NC

1 edit

bksmith5

Premium Member

said by Pashune:

You will never achieve 54 mbps real world speed over any 802.11g wireless connection due to data overhead. Real world speeds are roughly half that at most so you'd be looking at close to 27 mbps or more likely closer to 20 mbps.

802.11n, on the other hand, can handle 50 mbps internet speeds assuming you've got a good signal. N150 can handle close to 75 mbps and N300 can handle close to 150 mbps I believe.

Pashune has nailed it. Let us know if you've seen any improvements!

(edit: took out that part that I really shouldn't have said. It was my own idiotic choice to not post my full thoughts previously. )

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

No prob.