share rss forum feed

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium
join:2005-06-29
kudos:1

Great

More of this crap.

I hate to say this but, we might just go back to the old days before internet use. Go back to paper billing and checks.
openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

Re: Great

Uhuh. How are you going to do that when banks and businesses are scaling those down as fast a possible? Besides, checks need to disappear. They are an expensive and slow method of transferring money.

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

I still use paper checks because why should I do something that is going to save my bank or wireless company money? As long as I write a check and mail it they still have to pay to print it, mail it and pay someone to open it and manually enter it. Screw them. I'm happy to inconvenience them.

FWIW my health insurance is automatically deducted electronically. Don't want to let that miss a day. Any excuse they have to drop you they take full advantage of.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium

said by rit56:

I'm happy to inconvenience them.

we think alike.
openbox9
Premium
Germany
And you pay $0.44 to mail that check that cost you a couple of pennies to print in the first place. Add that to overhead your bank and companies that you do business with incur, and you're going to pay increasing prices for services. Personally, I could care less about you inconveniencing them, but I'm honestly surprised that anyone is willing to inconvenience themselves any more than necessary in today's world. To each their own I guess. For me, I can't wait for the day that fax machines, paper checks and billing, even cash, and of course my most detested holdover from that last generation, cursive writing, finally die.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium

I would rather give 44 cents to the post office, then give 44 cents to a greedy isp company so there stock can go up 1/2 a point up.
openbox9
Premium
Germany

Because the USPS isn't evil and doesn't have its own set of issues. FWIW, the menial cost of you sending a paper check to your ISP each month isn't going to pull the company's stock down half a point. Go ahead and enjoy your stance though.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL

he isn't alone.

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY
I always insist that they mail me a paper bill. I would never print out a bill. It's about nickle and dimeing then back....
openbox9
Premium
Germany

Why would you need to print a bill?
jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA

I'm a little surprised that you haven't had an experience where you need an original bill to prove your residence, especially since you appear to be in the metro DC area.

Here are some reasons:

Those who traveling and are trying to get Visas or those who are trying to get a driver's license somewhere to prove something to a government entity sometimes need to have original copies of bills to show. A printed copy from the internet will not work. ( I'm looking at DC, MD, and VA DMVs for example). So you need a bill until those government agencies adjust.
openbox9
Premium
Germany

I've needed proof of residence once, and any utility bill with my name and address was sufficient. Printed copy from the Internet worked just fine. Never had a problem obtaining a passport or driver's license, and I didn't need a copy of any utility bill. Maybe I'm an anomaly in this regard?

Razzy12345

@rr.com
Uh, be what you want to be.

I'll just click SEND PAYMENT to my bills from my bank =p I hate paper bills.. I really do - waste of space.
jjeffeory

USA
The one thing I can think of in getting a paper bill is that sometimes you need to have records for a long time. Most companies only let you go back 12/24/36/48 months. Sometimes you need records for 7 years for IRS or a company that is trying to steal money from you. I had an incident where someone opened Comcast in UT in my name and I had to show them bills from another area to PROVE that it wasn't me. A lot of companies charge you a fee to get your historical records.

Also, those who travel and are trying to get Visas or those who are trying to get a license somewhere and need to prove something ( address) to a government entity sometimes need to have original copies of bills to show. A printed copy from the internet will not work. ( I'm looking at DC, MD, and VA DMVs for example)
jjeffeory

USA
I agree with most of this except for cash $$.
jjeffeory

USA
I agree with this, we should follow Europe in this regard. Also, checks seem to take too long to clear even with Check 21 passed a few years ago.