Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to Floppy

Re: [DVR] Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed

they've been testing it in augusta,ga since july and will start testing it in one other place this month.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

And how far will it go? or will it end up like the tivo software on the cable box hardware that failed to make out the of the testing area.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to cypherstream

This looks like the new guide here: (news article from last week's West Chester, PA newspaper and a short video demo from a comcast exec).

»www.dailylocal.com/articles/2011···ullstory

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

Interesting, I recall when I asked a tech who was helping me in re to the xfinity zimba issue. I asked regarding the quad tuner. He said they are focusing to moving to cloud storage for DVR.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL

cloud storage with out SDV will not work and they got rid of the HBO, MAX, show multiplex HD channels as people use DRV's and VOD and to add other HD channels but we still do not have BIG HD ALT's, VS HD ALT, GAME 3-9 HD, TEAM 2-9 HD, Fox movie Channel HD, CLTV HD, CSN +2 HD.

Come on at least add some part time HD channels and don't put more load on the VOD system.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to The Q

I like the on screen movement. The small animations add a lot of character and give the guide personality. It helps to see things slide around as it gives an indication of what's happening on screen.

I'm in the DirecTV HD GUI beta and while the guide itself scrolls really smooth and nicely, there's no in and out transitions, or between screen transitions. I know I'm in a beta so that could change. However I love this Xfinity Spectrum UI and hope it inspires other providers as well.

chadb97

join:2009-07-14
Osceola, IN

Will the guide that comes with this spectrum box be rolled out to the motorola boxes in the field, or will the new hd guide only be on the spectrum box?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

I think initially this needs the Intel CE3100/4100 series processor, which will be in the Spectrum box (manufactured by Pace).

Though the Broadcom BCM7400 series CPU does support HD graphics, as I believe at least one of my DirecTV boxes uses this CPU and I have an HD-GUI. Also the newer Motorola Verizon Fios set tops use this CPU and IMG 1.9 has a 16:9 HD GUI.

I'm not entirely sure of Comcast's plans. If the majority of the stuff is "in the cloud", they just need a standards based "browser" ported to each platform (Broadcom, Intel, etc..) It's been discussed here that there is a Guide 2.0 and a Guide 3.0. If "Spectrum" is 3.0... we have yet to see what 2.0 really looks like.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

On Screen Guide 2.0 is described in the linked post in this section:

Phase 4 - Tru2way Guide (On Screen Guide 2.0) & AnyRoom DVR

»Re: Official Comcast blog about new SA guide

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

The Denver Post had an article yesterday about Comcast Labs, which mentions the Xcalibur project:

Comcast cranks up its research labs to quickly create new video products
»www.denverpost.com/business/ci_19221359

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

feeding the rumor mill....Philly Daily News columnist Jonathan Takiff also mentioned a new guide from comcast last week...

»www.philly.com/philly/blogs/gizm···383.html

excerpted:

Comcast recently showed me its next generation cable box operating system, currently being tested in Augusta, GA. Branded as both "Xcaliber" and "Spectrum," this 2.0 system nicely integrates traditional cable-fed and internet streaming content. In fact, I was told that a lot of second-tier specialty channels currently carried system-wide could more efficiently be delivered over the internet, on demand, unclogging the cable "pipe" for other purposes.

Comcast 2.0's on-screen guide display is flashy and smart, the search engine works like a charm and also pulls in videos from YouTube, music from Pandora, and connects to Facebook and Twitter.

Oh, and while not currently activated, there's a small microphone icon and companion button on the 2.0 remote control, plus a speaker on the remote's backside, suggesting you might soon be talking your way into "find me movies with Johnny Depp" or whoever. Siri-ously, could it get much smarter than that?

Getting Comcast to implement this tech is quite another matter - like turning around a battle ship. My demonstrators said "all our HDTV boxes installed in the last two years" have the brainpower to support the new hybrid cable/internet protocol TV system. But upgrading the rest of Comcast's cable box universe will be very expensive (think billions) and will not be accomplished overnight.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

most likely thats something we'll see in maybe 10 years or something, the fact is the powers that be just put a titanic size amount of money into the current gen of boxes, and yes they ARE smart enough to do alot of things but the fact that they dont have microphones built in, the software thats being rollled out isnt that software you've mentioned and everyone in the scientififc atlantic/cisco regions can attest to, it took this long for that software its gonna be a long time before something else major happens, we'll be lucky if they get the mydvr functionality working.

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to The Q

The following excerpt is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

quote:
We have a few new on-screen guides that we are starting to deliver to our customers. On-Screen Guide 2.0 is available now in selected areas of Florida and we are also now delivering On-Screen Guide 3.0 in Augusta, GA. There is a screen shot and additional information about On Screen Guide 3.0 and the cloud-based platform here:

»blog.comcast.com/2011/05/looking···nce.html

We have plans for additional locations this year with On-Screen Guide 2.0 which is targeted for our newer RNG series of cable boxes. We plan to provide additional information about On-Screen Guide 2.0 on Comcast Voices soon.
»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-40649

Note: I think the article is referring to On-Screen Guide 3.0 (used on the Xfinity Spectrum DVR) but 2.0 is used in the article.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
reply to Mike Wolf

also the customer centers still give out the old boxes, cable tech, have lot's of old boxes they reuse. IP tv for some channels?

Why just move to MPEG 4 as this IP tv may not work with cable card / all vid / tru2way.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

would love to, i mean the video quality would go through the roof. It depends on what they have in stock at the service centers and warehouse, I've noticed that in my area we've been sending back the old boxes to the manufacturers and getting back the new shiney Cisco boxes. Also I've noticed a vast improvement in overall quality with devices that use the cablecards.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

An AP article today on Xcalibur:

Comcast execs on new TV technology
»news.yahoo.com/call-comcast-exec···996.html

jwhite4

join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA
reply to Warzau

said by Warzau:

...He said they are focusing to moving to cloud storage for DVR.

I thought I read a decade or so ago, the cable company in NY tried to implement DVR's using basically remote storage. If I remember, they got shot down because technically they were no longer considered personal recordings (which the FCC does permit).

While they are some advantages of having local recordings, I think in general it would probably be better if almost every local recording was more like an on-demand recording, basically stored on Comcast's servers. Could be as simple as option as, if you DVR a show that Comcast knows will already be available on demand, then don't record the actual show, just in effect the link to the on-demand show. That way, I don't waste my (still rather limited) DVR disk space on shows I can get online.

If you delete the show before the on-demand goes away, no issuses at all. If the on-demand show would go away before you delete it, then maybe starting 3 days before expiration, the DVR would automatically download it, in case you want a local copy indefinitely.

Jeff

Russ6

Houston, TX

CableVision won the legal challenges.

quote:
Cablevision's Network DVR Debuts in the Bronx

January 24, 2011 | Jeff Baumgartner
LR Cable News Analysis

Without much fanfare, Cablevision Systems Corp. (NYSE: CVC) has launched its ambitious Remote Storage-DVR (RS-DVR) service in the New York borough of the Bronx, Light Reading Cable has learned.
Note: Click the following link for the complete article:

»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

jwhite4

join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA
reply to cypherstream

I hadn't heard they succeeded in their case. Sounds like 4 recordings, watch from any STB are nice features. But 160GB? PLEASE!!

Jeff

Russ6

Houston, TX

Comcast to offer personalized TV recommendations

Fierce Cable
December 6, 2011 — 10:58am ET | By Steve Donohue

Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is using its Project Xcalibur trials to test personalized TV recommendations, and will soon add a "My TV" section to its program guide, an executive said Monday at the TVOT NYC Intensive conference in New York City.

"There are quite a few personalization initiatives that are live now in Augusta, Ga., and rolling out to a lot of places in the near future," Comcast Search & Discovery senior director of product management Brian Curtis said at the conference.

Note: For the complete story, click the following link:

»www.fiercecable.com/story/comcas···11-12-06
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

when will the public see these features outside of georgia?

Russ6

Houston, TX

Note: I posted the link to the following article in the "How will Comcast lie to us at this year's CES?" thread (click link), but it is relevant to this thread too:

»Re: How will Comcast lie to us at this year's CES?

quote:
@ CES: DLNA bows Premium Video; Comcast, Intel demo it

Wed, 01/11/2012 - 2:36pm Mike Robuck

Yesterday at CES, the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) unveiled its Premium Video platform, which enables networking to various DLNA-certified devices in the home, while Comcast and Intel demonstrated it over on the show floor.

. . .

The demo featured the Pace box that Comcast is currently using for its Xcalibur trial in Augusta, Ga. Comcast had teamed up with Intel, which provided the Intel Architecture-based CE SoC for the new Pace set-top boxes, delivering the CPU and graphics performance required for the service's advanced user interface, fast responsive performance and new interactive applications.

. . .
Note: For the complete article, click the following link:

»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/01···-demo-it
--
Links:

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to cypherstream

Considering that it's still nearly impossible to get a DCX34xx HD-DVR box from Comcast, which they announced what, three years ago?, I don't see this thing being widely available until sometime around 2025...just about the time everyone else is upgrading from 4K.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

This article just appeared on the Engadget website today:

Comcast's connected cable box making a run at the FCC?
Engadget - Wed Jan 18, 11:22 am ET
»www.engadget.com/2012/01/18/comc···the-fcc/

If you follow the "FCC" link at the end of the article, you can view a copy of the (draft?) user manual for the box in the "Exhibits List" on the FCC website.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

The Light Reading Cable website also had an article today about Comcast's FCC filing for the Pace "Parker" box:

Comcast's Web-Slinging Set-Top Visits the FCC
Light Reading Cable - January 19, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···r_cable&

And, as the article says, the User Guide for the box has now been removed from the Exhibits List on that FCC webpage.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

wonder if they are testing this in chatanooga also?

Russ6

Houston, TX

2 edits

Comcast's Parker box goes for a test drive at the FCC

Thu, 01/19/2012 - 3:09pm Mike Robuck
CED Magazine

. . .

"We've been very pleased with the test results," Comcast Cable President Neil Smit said during the third-quarter earnings call. "I think in terms of rollout; we're currently working on rollout. We'll go to a major market in the first half of the year, and then we'll be rolling it out on a more widespread basis during the year. Then we'll be able to roll out Xcalibur across a variety of platforms, including the Parker box that we have in Augusta, additional high-end set-top boxes, and other customer-owned and -maintained devices, such as the Xbox and other devices
. . .

Note: For the complete article, click the following link:
»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/01···-the-fcc
--
Links:

Russ6

Houston, TX

Comcast is using On-Screen Guide 3.0 (Xfinity Spectrum Guide in Augusta, GA) to test social TV recommendation technology. Comcast hasn't decided how or when it will be incorporated in On-Screen Guide 3.0. For more information, go to the
"Comcast Reveals Social TV Strategy in Patent Application" thread:
»Comcast Reveals Social TV Strategy in Patent Application

That thread has a link to FierceCable's story about social TV recommendation technology and a discussion about the story.
--
Links:

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

I just can't wait for the spectrum dvr and on-screen guide to get here.
Wonder if they named it after the old "Philadelphia Spectrum"?

pimenta36

@comcast.net
reply to cypherstream

I have this DVR and have had problems since day one, but I know they are still working on bugs. Does anyone know why there is a microphone and speaker on the remote? Where can you make suggestions to improve the DVR (since it's in the testing phase)? One issue I have with it is that the DVR doesn't give you an option to record a program "on this day, in this time slot." That would be a nice feature (my old Knology DVR did this), because when to you want to record a third program, you can chose to record it later that night, every week. Another problem: the DVR doesn't let you know there are conflicts when trying to record more than two programs that come on at the same time. My old knology DVR gave me a warning when I couldn't record, and then would give me an option to cancel one of the three. Then, I would go into the guide and chose to record "this program on this day, in this time slot." Any info on what I wrote? Thanks.