uniqs
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6 to usry723

to usry723

Re: [DVR] Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed

said by usry723:

Just found out my local office has these. Thinking about calling them and trying to get one installed. Are they worth it?

If you are having problems with your current DVR, it might be worth it, but it will not get On-Screen Guide 2.0. Also, the DVRs that I have do not use a cable card and are old. The cable card version SA 8300 HDC DVR may have some problems but I don't know for sure.
Russ6

Russ6 to TiredRetired

to TiredRetired
said by TiredRetired:

I should have clarified a bit. Mostly the box will reboot on it's own after a freeze up or other similar do funny. Very annoying to say the least. Now, before the guide update my SA 8300HD worked virtually flawless. I just could not get one to work with the external drive after the update. Worked great with the SARA guide. Go figure.

That is strange that your SA 8300HD wouldn't work with the external drive after the guide update. It should have even retained your recordings. This is the first time that I have seen this reported. I have seen reports of missing recordings.
TiredRetired
join:2012-04-11
East Montpelier, VT

TiredRetired

It retained the recordings so at first I thought that all would be well. However the first time i attempted to pause live TV the box froze up and would not respond. A reboot cleared things up until I tried to pause live TV again. it's been over a year now and I just do not recall if I tried a recorded show. I must have but I do not recall how that worked. I tried two other SA boxes. The first one was an older non cable card box and it would not work at all. Locked in an endless loop of reboots. The second was a cable card 8300HDC and it exhibited the same symptoms as my original box. The third box was a refurb 200 that was DOA. Now bear in mind I live in the boonies and the nearest office is 50 miles one way so my frustration meter was now pegging a 10. LOL. The fourth box was hand delivered brand new in the box by two techs no less. It's been a pain in the ass for sure but not the end of world. It is just TV after all. Now Comcast is adamant that TIVO VOD will be available here in a few months and 2.0 will be available mid to late summer. We shall see. If my external HD does not work with 2.0 I will be forced to go to Any Room DVR. Hopefully Triple Play customers will get a little break on the pricing.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to usry723

to usry723
yes get the spectrum dvr and tell us what you think of it.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Just saw this item on the Light Reading Cable site:

Comcast Tests Network DVR in Boston
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - April 13, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable

A few short excerpts:

"Comcast Corp. is conducting a small, technical trial of a network DVR that closely mimics what Cablevision Systems Corp. has already deployed to its customers, Light Reading Cable has learned.

And when we say small trial, we're talking tiny small. The Boston test, says an industry source, has fewer than a dozen people on it during the early phases.
:
It's also considered to be more power- and cost-efficient than deploying set-tops outfitted with local hard drives. The all-IP "X3" HD client box said to be on Comcast's roadmap is the kind of device that could take advantage of a network DVR."

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
Its almost June and still no news on when this new really cool looking guide is going to be released in Philadelphia

Is it safe to to say we wil not see this new guide until 2013 at the earliest?

Normally I would not be in such a rush however I can not tell you how much I hate the current guide its so buggy and I am sick of it
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by gate1975mlm:

Its almost June and still no news on when this new really cool looking guide is going to be released in Philadelphia

Is it safe to to say we wil not see this new guide until 2013 at the earliest?

Normally I would not be in such a rush however I can not tell you how much I hate the current guide its so buggy and I am sick of it

I think 2013 is the most likely timeframe unless your area is Boston or a test of a major market. With Comcast it could be delayed until 2014 depending on how the major market test or tests go.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
non like is the guide carp the channle map / line up is just as bad.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

They've been trialing it for over a year. now, right?

Why does it take so long to launch a product? By comparison Apple or Samsung will have gone though multiple product generations of phones and tablets in the time it takes Comcast to launch this one product. The hardware is already obsolete by the time it hits the market

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

Considering that released products don't work properly, I am not surprised that it is taking so long to do a trial.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

That just makes it more curious. What kind of software development team do they have that they can't get bugs fixed in a reasonable amoun t of time?

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

It may not be the team- it may be the management.
Russ6
Houston, TX

1 edit

Russ6

Comcast doesn't put a high priority on the guides so it doesn't put the resources into producing quality guides or guide updates in a timely manner. By quality, I mean deploying guides without major bugs that have the features that users want. I think the reason Comcast doesn't put a high priority on the guides is because it doesn't believe it will get significantly more customers to justify the cost.

I think this is also true with other cable companies, for example Time Warner Cable's Navigator Guide.
aguiar0016
join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA

1 recommendation

aguiar0016 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
Comcast just officially announced it today at the Cable Show.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Yes, Comcast has a press release on it: »www.businesswire.com/new ··· on-Cloud

and also an article about it on the Light Reading Cable site:

Comcast's X1 Video Platform Lands First in Boston
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - May 21, 2012
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Looks like Pace has teamed-up with TiVo to deploy an X1-like platform with other cable companies:

TiVo & Pace Debut Docsis 3.0-Powered Gateway
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - May 21, 2012

TiVo and Pace Announce First Pace Product With TiVo Software Integration
Pace XG1 Multi-Tuner Video Gateway to Offer 6 Video Tuners, Integrated DOCSIS 3.0 and Support for TiVo Whole Home Solution
TiVo Press Release, Marketwire - May 21, 2012
»www.marketwire.com/press ··· 9508.htm
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Looks like the roll-out for the Boston area has slipped a bit from the schedule I received early last month (»[DVR] Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed ):

Greater Boston area on May 1 (RNG-150 on June 30)
Atlanta and Chattanooga on July 31
Denver on August 15
Beltway and Freedom Region areas on September 11

Don't know if the dates for other areas on the list will now be slipped by a month or so.
aguiar0016
New Bedford, MA

to cypherstream
They're saying it is going to be a 6 tuner ?

"Initially, the X1 service will be delivered using a six-tuner gateway manufactured by Pace, available to new Xfinity triple-play customers with HD DVR service at no additional cost."

»www.multichannel.com/art ··· _Too.php

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

said by aguiar0016:

"Initially, the X1 service will be delivered using a six-tuner gateway manufactured by Pace, available to new Xfinity triple-play customers with HD DVR service at no additional cost."

WOW 6-Tuner?

This is going be be awesome when it finally arrives

Hopfully sooner rather then later!

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

It prob be 2 years before I see it

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to aguiar0016

MVM

to aguiar0016
said by aguiar0016:

Ummm, what about existing triple-play subscribers?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

This is excellent news - just when I decided to come back to Comcast.

Now, only question - do I wait now til' September instead of next month? Hmmmmm....

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by SeattleMatt:

This is excellent news - just when I decided to come back to Comcast.

Now, only question - do I wait now til' September instead of next month? Hmmmmm....

Wait till its actually out. We know Comcast. I bet its delayed again.

Anyway reward Comcast for actually coming out with it. When people sign up once this is available, maybe they will see it makes a difference. If it makes a difference they may put more time and effort into continually improving the user experience (not something they've ever been concerned with before). So I'd wait if I were you.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

A video of a presentation of the X1 platform at the Cable Show that Comcast placed on YouTube:

Xfinity TV on the X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App
By ComcastVoices, YouTube - May 21, 2012

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· jBa1vTn0

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

said by aguiar0016:

Owlyn-
Confirmed existing customers will be able to upgrade.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream to telcodad

MVM

to telcodad
Wow nice video.

I like it much better than DirecTV's HD Guide. More information on screen and it looks so smooth with all the animations / transition effects.

And compared to Verizon Fios IMG 1.9.1, Dish Network 922/Hopper/Joey guide, I think this X1 just looks much more cleaner and easier to read.

Also does Xfinity Dayview come with it, or is it just a concept?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· e=relmfu

Will the sell this to other providers? Would love to see Service Electric Cablevision pick this up. They use mostly Pace RNG stuff now.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
Only for Triple Play customers? Is there a techical reason for this, or is it simple coercion? I definitly want a DVR with more than two tuners, but I'm not at all interested in Comcast's phone service.

ethanethan
@comcastbusiness.net

ethanethan to cypherstream

Anon

to cypherstream
When is it coming to Seattle? That's my question. Are we talking 6 months or 3 years?
aguiar0016
New Bedford, MA

to cypherstream
Nice videos.

I think the dayview comes with it, not sure if it will be available on launch.

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

said by owlyn:

said by aguiar0016:

Owlyn-
Confirmed existing customers will be able to upgrade.

Thanks, JeepMatt.