Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aguiar0016

Re: [DVR] Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed

said by aguiar0016:

They're saying it is going to be a 6 tuner ?

"Initially, the X1 service will be delivered using a six-tuner gateway manufactured by Pace, available to new Xfinity triple-play customers with HD DVR service at no additional cost."

»www.multichannel.com/article/484···_Too.php

Ummm, what about existing triple-play subscribers?

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
This is excellent news - just when I decided to come back to Comcast.

Now, only question - do I wait now til' September instead of next month? Hmmmmm....
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
said by JeepMatt:

This is excellent news - just when I decided to come back to Comcast.

Now, only question - do I wait now til' September instead of next month? Hmmmmm....

Wait till its actually out. We know Comcast. I bet its delayed again.

Anyway reward Comcast for actually coming out with it. When people sign up once this is available, maybe they will see it makes a difference. If it makes a difference they may put more time and effort into continually improving the user experience (not something they've ever been concerned with before). So I'd wait if I were you.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to telcodad
A video of a presentation of the X1 platform at the Cable Show that Comcast placed on YouTube:

Xfinity TV on the X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App
By ComcastVoices, YouTube - May 21, 2012

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t5jBa1vTn0

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to owlyn
said by owlyn:

said by aguiar0016:

"Initially, the X1 service will be delivered using a six-tuner gateway manufactured by Pace, available to new Xfinity triple-play customers with HD DVR service at no additional cost."

Owlyn-
Confirmed existing customers will be able to upgrade.
--

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

1 edit
reply to telcodad
Wow nice video.

I like it much better than DirecTV's HD Guide. More information on screen and it looks so smooth with all the animations / transition effects.

And compared to Verizon Fios IMG 1.9.1, Dish Network 922/Hopper/Joey guide, I think this X1 just looks much more cleaner and easier to read.

Also does Xfinity Dayview come with it, or is it just a concept?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=trWvfZVz···e=relmfu

Will the sell this to other providers? Would love to see Service Electric Cablevision pick this up. They use mostly Pace RNG stuff now.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to cypherstream
Only for Triple Play customers? Is there a techical reason for this, or is it simple coercion? I definitly want a DVR with more than two tuners, but I'm not at all interested in Comcast's phone service.

ethanethan

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to cypherstream
When is it coming to Seattle? That's my question. Are we talking 6 months or 3 years?

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
reply to cypherstream
Nice videos.

I think the dayview comes with it, not sure if it will be available on launch.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

said by owlyn:

said by aguiar0016:

Owlyn-
Confirmed existing customers will be able to upgrade.

Thanks, JeepMatt.

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
reply to cypherstream
Someone that works for Comcast mentioned that the Dayviewer is going live in the Boston DMA as of 5-30-12. New customers only because it requires the new box and it sounds like it is a download on the new guide (similar to the TiVo software) but he wasn't exactly sure. Current customers won't be getting it because 1. they don't want to do truck rolls for it. 2. eventually it will be on available on current boxes (i assume not all).

It will be only available in Motorola areas. It will have it's on dedicated support team to answer all technical issues.

The X1 DVR will have only 3 tuners active at the start (no clue why).
Also he was told 500 GB DVR. (sounds like it will store on the box not the cloud?)

She did mention limited information is available to her because she doesn't real deal with it and because it just came out.

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
reply to telcodad
Goes live 5-30-12 for Greater Boston.

Motorola areas only.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
Aguiar / Telco-
Great work on the dates. If you ever are given an update on that September timeframe for the Freedom (Philly) region, let me know.

As soon as that hits, Comcast has a new TP subscriber. Heck, i'm even signing up for the home security product.
--

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to aguiar0016
said by aguiar0016:

Current customers won't be getting it because 1. they don't want to do truck rolls for it. 2. eventually it will be on available on current boxes (i assume not all).

What if someone offers to go pick it up at the local office?

Eventually it will be on all boxes? Yeah ok in what century? Also the Intel chipset on the X1 is going to make it perform better than the Broadcom chipset in the other set tops.

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
No pickup at local office has to be tech install. At least for now.

Yeah i agree not all boxes will get it.

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
Comcast showing once again how much they think of their existing sub base. Hello, churn.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit
reply to cypherstream
Can anyone answer this? On-Screen Guide 2.0+ on Motorola (legacy) boxes?

»[STB] On-Screen Guide 2.0+ on Motorola (legacy) boxes?

Thanks,

5th

gt1racer

join:2008-11-19
Fall River, MA
reply to cypherstream
So basically my household wouldn't be able to get the new box because we are current customers?

Jeremy W

join:2010-01-21
reply to lorennerol
said by lorennerol:

Comcast showing once again how much they think of their existing sub base. Hello, churn.

The vast majority of their subscribers will have no idea what this is. And they're obviously going to offer to existing customers at some point, probably in the near future. It's really not that big of a deal.

moulder3

join:2007-05-21
Boston, MA
reply to cypherstream
I was also told the box will be 500gb (not 1tb, as previously reported) but I'm not sure if that means the user has a physical hdd in the box, or if Comcast only gives them 500gb in the cloud?

If it's 500gb in the cloud, I would think (and hope) that the recordings would be transcoded via MPEG-4, rather than their DVR boxes that receive and record MPEG-2. This way, you'd be able to store significantly more (around 30-40% more) than with their DCX 500gb DVR.

I was very excited to get the X1, until I found that it's only 500gb and if the DVR is network based, then the fast-forwarding may work the same as via On-Demand (aka awful). I guess I'll stick with my crappy DVR (and awful channel guide) a bit longer...

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
at least the cloud can be setup to not tie up tuners but then you may have to deal with a limited # of VOD slots on your node.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to cypherstream
Is there a Comcast website for the x1?

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to moulder3
said by moulder3:

I was also told the box will be 500gb (not 1tb, as previously reported) but I'm not sure if that means the user has a physical hdd in the box, or if Comcast only gives them 500gb in the cloud?

If it's 500gb in the cloud, I would think (and hope) that the recordings would be transcoded via MPEG-4, rather than their DVR boxes that receive and record MPEG-2. This way, you'd be able to store significantly more (around 30-40% more) than with their DCX 500gb DVR.

I was very excited to get the X1, until I found that it's only 500gb and if the DVR is network based, then the fast-forwarding may work the same as via On-Demand (aka awful). I guess I'll stick with my crappy DVR (and awful channel guide) a bit longer...

I don't think it will currently use a network DVR since Comcast is testing network DVRs. Click the following news article link for more information:
»Comcast Testing Network DVR

Depending on how the test goes, Comcast may introduce a network DVR.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
with out SDV?

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
said by Joe12345678:

with out SDV?

I haven't seen how Comcast would implement a Network DVR. Other possibilities are IP or VOD.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
I think eventually comcast wants to go IP based. Don't know how that will affect everything.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
Newtown, PA
Comcast has been working on IPTV for the last two years.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
reply to mikedz4
well they may have to swap out lot's of older boxes that can use IP TV.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to Russ6
I don't believe the DVR uses storage "in the cloud" either, but rather uses the 500GB HDD that's currently inside the X1 box.

There was a good article on the Multichannel News site last night about all this, under the section labeled "COMCAST IN THE CLOUD":

Cable's Cloudy Future
In Tech Shift, Operators Rain Down Cloud-Based Content, Apps and Services
By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - May 28, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/article/485···ture.php

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to Russ6
said by Russ6:

I haven't seen how Comcast would implement a Network DVR. Other possibilities are IP or VOD.

In a Multichannel News article last week (»www.multichannel.com/article/484···DVR_.php), Motorola is developing a network-based "whole-world DVR" that maybe Comcast is the one that will be testing:

"By the end of the year, an MSO customer of Motorola Mobility will launch a trial of a basic network DVR, akin to the DVR Plus service Cablevision Systems offers. (Scheffler declined to identify the customer.)"