Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to JeepMatt

Re: [DVR] Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed

I want it here in the pittsburgh area as well.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to cypherstream

How about Seattle Tacoma area
--
Caddy

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to mikedz4

said by mikedz4:

I want it here in the pittsburgh area as well.

This recent article has some rumored "next" locations...

»www.lightreading.com/document.as···wsletter

from the article:

Precise launch dates appear to be in flux, but industry sources say Comcast intends to introduce X1 in at least four markets later this year or in early 2013, including Atlanta; Chattanooga, Tenn.; Denver; and the company's Freedom Region, a cluster of systems that serve greater Philadelphia, New Jersey and northern Delaware. Augusta, Ga., was the site of Comcast's initial field trial of the X1 platform, which previously was known as Xcalibur.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

no Chicago?

let's see WOW has that new gateway (to bad they missing so many channels) and RCN has TIVO (to bad they only cover a limited area)

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to The Q

don't feel bad they forgot pittsburgh too. Pittsburgh has FIOS which is why it shocks me they won't launch it there plus most if not all of allegheny county has fios.

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
reply to cypherstream

Confirmed : New triple play customers only will get the X1 DVR because of low inventory.

current customers will be able to get it at a later date.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

they launched it with low inventory? I believe I went through this when dvrs first came out. Had to jump through hoops and hurdles to get the dvr.

JoeSammamish

join:2009-06-10
Sammamish, WA
reply to aguiar0016

Hopefully they will roll out the X1 guide and features to existing Tru2Way-capable boxes (e.g. the DCX-3400M) shortly after beginning to offer the new boxes in a given market.

As cool as it would be to have a quad tuner, having two tuners works for me 98% of the time and 500 GB has proven to be wholly adequate to date.

If I can get the X1 guide on my DCX-3400 box, I'm not all that worried about getting the new box.

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA

The X1 DVR is being launched with 3 active tuners only.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to JoeSammamish

I've been told most areas won't see it until this time next year (the box that is). I would imagine the guide won't be available until the box is available everywhere. They can use the guide to get more people to sub to the new service.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

said by mikedz4:

I've been told most areas won't see it until this time next year (the box that is). I would imagine the guide won't be available until the box is available everywhere. They can use the guide to get more people to sub to the new service.

What does your second sentence mean?

The guide will be avaliable on the Pace X1 box in a specific area when the Pace X1 box is released in that area.

Comcast plans to release the guide on RNG boxes at some point in the future.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

they can offer it with the x1 to entice people to go to the x1 box (dunno if it's going to cost more or the same as the anyroom service).

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

said by mikedz4:

they can offer it with the x1 to entice people to go to the x1 box (dunno if it's going to cost more or the same as the anyroom service).

This is not the way Comcast has operated in the past, nor does it appear to be their current model.

They prefer to release a new product like this in tiny quantities so they can run around tooting their own horn to the media about it, but don't have to provide them (and buy them) to people who want them: Sorry, we're out. How 'bout this 6 year old Motorola box instead? It has that awesome new component video out thingy!

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
reply to cypherstream

Thanks to The Q for this find:

Found this X1 review online (complete with video and images) from someone (presumably in Boston).

»bwone.com/comcast-x1-box-an-in-depth-look/

kb1

join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN
reply to Russ6

Russ, I just read on Ted Hodgins blog that you will have to swap out your box to get the 2.0 guide even if it is a RNG 200N. I thought it would just be a software download to get the new
2.0 guide when available.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

1 edit

said by kb1:

Russ, I just read on Ted Hodgins blog that you will have to swap out your box to get the 2.0 guide even if it is a RNG 200N. I thought it would just be a software download to get the new
2.0 guide when available.

It depends on how long you want to wait. If you want to get the 2.0 guide as soon as it is available in your area, you will have to get a RNG 200-N with it preloaded. After an unknown length of time (? months), Comcast will be able to download it to existing customer's boxes. See
»Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

wow nice way to fail comcast.

Directv was able to push out there new guide to all the HD boxes (but the old H20's) with out have to swap out boxes and no months long wait from pre loaded boxes to have older ones getting it.

Also directv lets there uses download test software as part of the Cutting Edge opt in

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Yeah agreed.

If every time apple released a new IOS version, you had to go to an apple store and swap your iphone / ipad / ipod for another one, that would be a major fail.

Even MAJOR upgrades like to IOS4, IOS5 and the upcoming IOS6. Download, install and done!

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

Same with windows. If every version if windows would only work on a certain computer people wouldn't buy windows.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

But don'tforget that not all models of cable box may be powerful enough. Is IOS6 going to be available for the oldest iPhone1? I could try and install Win7 on my old home computer (P3-1000, 512K), but it wouldn't be very usable.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

I was relating to the fact that even if it is an RNG200 (which does support it), it has to be swapped. What does the bootloader have to be programmed with a serial jtag cable or something?

I mean we can jailbreak iphones and ipads... you think they could push a new bootloader that was able to TFTP the new software.