Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Guzzler

join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ
kudos:1

Cisco DPC3010 logs?

OK, my old Linksys finally went tits up and I replaced it with a Cisco DPC3010 from the Cox store (nice since I'm only on the Preferred tier and I didn't have to have a tech come install it).

When I first set it up, and went to it's webpage, I had several tabs to look at, one was "Log". After the provisioning and firmware update, now I only have one tab "DOCSIS WAN" which just shows the basic info (Log In, About, Downstream Channels, Upstream Channels).

My question is, is there a generic username/password I can enter to get more information on the modem status?

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

No, the DPC3010 once it gets synced, locks down all that kind of info. Its one major reason I don't like that modem. Details are very plain, and imo to plain. One reason I like the 6120, it at least shows what channels your connected, mhz's, QAM's, and such.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by lilstone87:

No, the DPC3010 once it gets synced, locks down all that kind of info. Its one major reason I don't like that modem. Details are very plain, and imo to plain. One reason I like the 6120, it at least shows what channels your connected, mhz's, QAM's, and such.

its not the modems fault, its the cable companies firmware that locks it down. good luck on the username/password front.
--
The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Guzzler

join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ
kudos:1

said by dvd536:

its not the modems fault, its the cable companies firmware that locks it down. good luck on the username/password front.

Yep, it's Cox that locks it down. Like I said, when I first brought it home, it had several web pages worth of information. And tweakable settings, if I remember correctly.

I should have taken screen captures of all of them. Hindsight is 20/20.

I guess I could start a brute force attack on the username password. It is my modem so I can go after it without issue.

DrAwesome

join:2011-07-02
Bellevue, NE
reply to dvd536

Don't bother with brute forcing. No username or password is set. Clicking on "Log In" will log you in as long as you leave everything blank. (you can find this out by looking at the HTML code) However, you still only have access to the same information you did before you logged in.

As for whether Cisco or Cox did this, where is the supporting information on blaming this on Cox? I'm not sure if they would go through all that trouble to lock this thing down, especially since there really isn't anything there for the end user to either screw up due to lack of knowledge or exploit to steal service.

That being said, it might be possible to just type in the location of those pages you want to get into in the URL bar. I just gone through the code to find out there is no password, I'll have to go through it again to see if i can figure out the name of the log webpage.

DrAwesome

Bellevue, NE
reply to Guzzler

I have been having problems with my internet once I got DOCSIS 3.0 with this modem. I have got to this web page a few times other than when I first hooked it up. I think that it shows up when you are having signal problems or other connection issues.

DrAwesome

Bellevue, NE
reply to DrAwesome

Well good news is, I was able to look through my browser history and find out the location of the pages that show more information:

»192.168.100.1/Docsis_log.htm
»192.168.100.1/Docsis_signal.htm
»192.168.100.1/Docsis_status.htm
»192.168.100.1/Docsis_speed.htm
»192.168.100.1/ChannelsSelection.htm

Bad news is they all redirect to Docsis_system.htm. I'll have to keep digging, but I don't find it very likely. Maybe someone smarter than me can figure this out.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to DrAwesome

said by DrAwesome:

Don't bother with brute forcing. No username or password is set. Clicking on "Log In" will log you in as long as you leave everything blank. (you can find this out by looking at the HTML code) However, you still only have access to the same information you did before you logged in.

Its in the firmware, not the html coding.
--
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

DrAwesome

Bellevue, NE

The log in is indeed within the html coding. The html is stored in the firmware. I can show you the code if you would like.

Logging in does not allow you to access the the logs though. You still only have access to the Docsis_system.htm page which only shows you the same information you can see without logging in.

Anyways, the following thread has some info with verification from coxtech1 explaining that there are some user changeable settings on this modem that can change service so that is why they took a lot of the informational pages out of the firmware as well as the page that cox is concerned about. I hope they fix this in the future to allow us access to the log page.

»[OK] Modem rebooting every hour or less