xcimo
Ebox 60Mbps

join:2007-11-21
Gatineau, QC
reply to corster

Re: Anyone using Unblock-us?

said by corster:

said by sm5w2:

Wouldn't custom entries in my hosts file allow me to simulate what Unblock-US is doing?

Finally, how long before Netflix servers themselves perform IP-based geolocating and geo-blocking?

No, and they already do.

Netflix checks IP when you load the homepage and when you load a video. Same with services like Hulu.

Sure but if unblock.us does it with a purly dns based solution, there must be a way around it.

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

1 edit
> Sure but if unblock.us does it with a purly dns based solution

Can someone explain exactly how a "dns-based location solution" is performed?

Edit: Ok, so it's basically a DNS server that is hooked into a database of IP subnet records organized according to the operational desire of the DNS owner/operator. Those desires may simply be network efficiency (give a DNS result that is the shortest path between the target machine and the machine doing the query) or it may be content redirection or blocking, etc (give a requestor in country "A" a response that is also located in country "A").

I can see all sorts of holes in this, such as how do you deal with DNS caching that might be happening in various places on the network, but beyond that it just seems that if you set your DNS server setting in your OS to point to a server in the target country (ie - the USA, like 4.2.2.2) then you've fooled this DNS-based location method into thinking that you're in the US.

Beyond that, if you know the FQDN's of the US machines that you want to pull content from, simply hard-code their real US IP address into your hosts file.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
As far as I can tell, the way the service works is that the DNS redirects traffic to selected domains through their own proxy, as opposed to directly to the domain. Anything that isn't one of the selected sites doesn't go through the proxy.

Pretty sure using this service, if you looked up Netflix by IP as opposed to Netflix.com, it would send you to the Canadian one.
--
Rob Ford, Check. Stephen Harper, Check. Tim Hudak, October.
Ontario can lead again - Tim Hudak and the Ontario PC Party in 2011

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
I used this service for a bit of time.

I changed my dns settings in windows .

left my router alone.

and i was watching hulu and netflix usa just fine.

not sure how it works but it does