uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit

Big Storm - Dayton, OH

This was the radar only about 1.5 hours ago. Straight line wind topping about 70 mph. Blew part of the roof off of a Red Robin and damaged a JCPenny roof as well. Those places are only about a mile from me...

Got very dark very fast. Just was we got to the inlaw's house it poured.

Some cool pics here:»my.whiotv.com/service/searchEver···5067-p=1

And we had a double rainbow (or at least the wife said it was a double rainbow) afterward.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1

Re: Hmmmmm - system lost a post by me....

I live in a bubble.... I swear to it...

This happens every time

I'm the Red SN Icon

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Xenia is our tornado\straight line magnet but we area going to have these all week long it looks like. The sunny days just fuel the storms.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

RonS
Madm0nke
Premium
join:2000-06-19
Dayton, OH
reply to CylonRed

Fairborn did get a confirmed F1 tornado so that's not too far from Xenia...

Here are a couple of pictures we took last night. We live about a mile East of the WDTN/Channel 2 studio in Miami Township.

--
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs aren't happy.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

Bath township at 235 also got a confirmed tornado as well - low grade I believe - though I have not heard the official EF rating yet.
--
Brian

RonS
Madm0nke
Premium
Dayton, OH

Bath Township @ 235 is the same one we are talking about. Bath Township is the non-corporated area of Fairborn (I used to live there)

They are predicting strong storms for Wednesday.
--

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Tampa, FL
reply to CylonRed

I got caught in that storm on my way home that day. The winds were pretty bad, took down a few trees where I live.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to RonS

I drove thru Bath township but on the Huber side - never knew the east boundry for Bath township (actually thought that Huber was the east boundry). Lived here for going on 43 years yet did not know the boundries. LOL
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 edit
reply to CylonRed

And another mess just to the south of me... My wife and kids are in a school in the middle of this (West Carrollton) and coming our way.

We have 2 more rounds coming over night...

Just lost the Dish signal - going to be here in about 5 minutes.

Golf ball sized hail in Springboro - just to the south of me.
--
Brian

Portmonkey
My watch stopped
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Southern IL
reply to CylonRed

Just had some bad storms roll through the town where I live. A few family members and friends are still under a warning or two. I like watching storms come in, be it on the computer or better yet sitting outside. Over the years I've noticed that you will usually smell all kinds of different foods being cooked depending on the time of day just before a bad storm hits. People worry about the power going out and decide to cook something as quickly as possible.
--
"Power tools are dangerous in the hands of untrained users."

RonS
Madm0nke
Premium
Dayton, OH
reply to CylonRed

We lost power for about 4 hours. We were lucky to miss all the hail. We saw a few pea sized hail hit the car but that was about it.
There were a few places in West Carrollton that got hit really hard with hail.

What were your wife and kids doing at the school?
--

sabersaw
Premium
join:2001-08-21
Dayton, OH
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed

Click for full size
30 minutes after hitting ground.
Click for full size
Blasted flashings on my roof also.
Had golfball size plus hail. Lots of damage. Cars and bay windows blasted in my neighborhood. Lost power for 3 hours. Near 48 and 725 in Montgomery County.

On a slab. For the first time in my life I actually stood in the hallway in the middle of house.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 edit
reply to CylonRed

We lost internet last night - we got pea sized but a co-worker who lives just south and eat of me got golf ball sized and there are reports of tennis baseball sized hail. Xenia got nailed once again - looked like a hurricane.

The wife and kids take a Tae Kwon Do class thru West Carrollton and Chung's Academy.

»my.whiotv.com/_24299510150199768···d=239134
--
Brian

RonS
Madm0nke
Premium
Dayton, OH
reply to CylonRed

And now with all the rain gone it is time to mow grass when it dries out. It's only twice as high as it should be so I will be mowing the yard twice at two different settings
--

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2

Welcome to the club!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to RonS

I can only do one level - the highest setting is actually quite low. thankfully the 12.5 hp engine works well - just takes me a good bit longer to mow. Mowed the lawn late last week and did it again yesterday...
--
Brian

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to RonS

I managed to finally get my back yard mowed this morning. It's still a little soft, but at least, it's no longer "squishy" under foot. I had to cut it twice. One thing that did help, however, was my mower has a similar blade design as a "GatorBlade". The rear "wing" on the blade has additional cutting edges, built into it. It saves a lot of "clumping". The grass was dry enough, but, as I said, the ground is still quite soft, If it continues to be dry, I may, as much as I hate to do it, be able to roll the ruts and bumps out of it tomorrow. It's tough to time it just right... soft enough to take the roll, while firm enough not to rut under the wheels of my Cub.
--
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times.”

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

My dad is 6 ft tall - he had grass to his nipple...

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to CylonRed

Well... hit it right on the button this morning. Got the roller filled and the tractor ready, and got the yard rolled just perfect. It was soft enough to take the roll, but firm enough not to leave ruts from the tractor tires. I normally hate to compact the soil that much, but it was really bad as far as my footprints and small ruts from the mowing. The mower just bounced all over when I cut it this last time... not good! I have a small aerator (spiker) that I'll use as soon as the grass recovers from the rolling. They're calling for scattered thunderstorms tomorrow, and if I dodge that bullet I should be home free.
--
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times.”

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Click for full size
Pacrat - it is coming your way eventually - from Beavercreek,OH to Grand Rapids, MI.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Oh yeah... it's in the forecast for today, tonight, and tomorrow. In fact, we just had a precursor cloudburst a few minutes ago. A little isolated cell ahead of the main assault. It's cool today so it must be a front passing through. I've managed to get a little ahead on my mowing so I think we can handle some rain. I just hope I don't have to batten down the hatches against the wind... again!!!
--