uniqs
alyin
Premium Member
join:2011-05-25

alyin

Premium Member

SS6300 newer firmware, can anyone help?

Hi All,

I have 8 of these SS6300 brand new overstocking items siting here doing nothing, I need to update the firmware before I could use them as a wireless access point.

The current firmware as the following:
Config Part #: 003-4056-G05
Firmware Part #: 004-E771-A37

I would like to try any firmware newer than the one it has.

Could anyone help?

TIA,

Alan

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

You can use them as access points without changing firmware
sn9
join:2010-12-30
San Francisco, CA

sn9 to alyin

to alyin
Where did this A37 firmware come from? Some ISP? I'd be interested in comparing it to other firmwares, particularly A3F and A6X. Please PM me some contact info. Thanx

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to alyin

Premium Member

to alyin
We actually do not supply any firmwares here as Efficient has in the past come after anyone that distributed their firmwares.

»Efficient Networks Forum FAQ »Efficient Forum posting Rules
quote:
Efficient Forum posting Rules
Please familiarize yourself with the site posting rules: Posting Rules

Limit discussions to issues dealing with Efficient Networks products only.

Posts asking for or offering any firmwares are not appropriate.
alyin
Premium Member

alyin to wayjac

Premium Member

to wayjac
no. not for this particular firmware.
alyin

alyin to sn9

Premium Member

to sn9
its from Telstra bigpond in australia.
alyin

alyin to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds
Sorry, I missed that.

There are many firmware available from the internet, but they are not for this model, I found this link: »ftp://download.sympatico.ca/ho ··· Z_en.exe for SS6300, but this link is dead.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to alyin

MVM

to alyin
Only a couple changes to the lan settings of any wireless router will make the wireless router work like a access point the changes are:
Disable the lan dhcp server on the speedstream
Change the lan ip address on the speedstream this change will allow lan access to the configuration pages and is optional

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to alyin

Premium Member

to alyin
said by alyin:

There are many firmware available from the internet, but they are not for this model, I found this link: »ftp://download.sympatico.ca/

ISPs are allowed to distribute customized Firmware for their customers by Efficient/Siemens, but individuals are not allowed to distribute Firmwares. Also with ISP Firmwares you may find features that are in the Retail Firmware (or in your specific unit's Firmware) are completely missing or disabled or removed so it is never recommended to install any ISP specific Firmware when you have a Retail Unit as that will likely downgrade the features. You likely have better Firmware than most ISPs supply.
alyin
Premium Member

alyin

Premium Member

You likely have better Firmware than most ISPs supply.

the firmware i got in these units are the worst ones ever, "nothing" can be config. they are from isp "telstra bigpond", all i need is to be able to use these units as wireless access point.
alyin

alyin to wayjac

Premium Member

to wayjac
said by wayjac:

Only a couple changes to the lan settings of any wireless router will make the wireless router work like a access point the changes are:
Disable the lan dhcp server on the speedstream
Change the lan ip address on the speedstream this change will allow lan access to the configuration pages and is optional

i can disable dhcp, and change the ip address, but still no internet connection from my main router into this ss6300 even with ethernet cable plugged in. i still thinking because of this firmware restrictions.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Once the changes are made to the speedstream you'll connect a speedstream lan port to a lan port of the device that makes the internet connection

The firmware will not prevent this from working

What is the make and model of the main router
alyin
Premium Member

1 edit

alyin

Premium Member

said by wayjac:

Once the changes are made to the speedstream you'll connect a speedstream lan port to a lan port of the device that makes the internet connection

The firmware will not prevent this from working

What is the make and model of the main router

I did that, the SS6300 won't act as a switch, the signal from the main router will not go through SS6300, the computer connect to the SS6300 will not obtain an ip address from the main router.

My main router is Linksys wireless-N broadband router, model: WRT160N-AU

BTW, do you know what is the "relay DHCP" in the SS6300 for?

Thank you very much for your effort.

PS: there is a 3com switch between the main router and the SS6300, I don't think it caused the problem. the firmware A37 is missing many functions mentioned by other firmware, that's why I think the firmware is the main problem.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by alyin:

the SS6300 won't act as a switch

I just don't agree with this, if it's true the ports are bad
said by alyin:

the signal from the main router will not go through SS6300

You can manually set the computers tcp/ip info that will eliminate any dhcp issues
said by alyin:

do you know what is the "relay DHCP" in the SS6300 for

It sounds like a setting for the wan/internet connection
Can you post a picture of the page that has that option
wayjac

wayjac to alyin

MVM

to alyin
said by alyin:

PS: there is a 3com switch between the main router and the SS6300, I don't think it caused the problem. the firmware A37 is missing many functions mentioned by other firmware, that's why I think the firmware is the main problem

I doubt the firmware is the problem
As a example here's a faq on this subject with detailed instructions
Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point
alyin
Premium Member

alyin

Premium Member

SS6300.rtf.zip
390,419 bytes
I spent a couple of hour to try everything possible on these SS6300, still no joy.
I believed that the firmware restriction have the following problems:
1. no configuration page for DSL settings unlike other firmwares.
2. after disabled the DHCP on the SS6300, the computer connected with it can not obtain an IP address from the Main router, all 5 ports are checked one by one, all working, I logined the SS6300 from each of these 5 ports.
3. All of 5 ports won't talk to each other, in other words, it can not be used as a simple switch, that's why it can not assign an IP address to the computer connected.

Any idea welcome, if you got the small file (LOL, I can not mention the right name here) which I am looking for, please PM me.

Have a nice relaxing weekend everyone!

PS: the attachment is the configuration page for the DHCP setting.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by alyin:

1. no configuration page for DSL settings unlike other firmwares

If you click on the ISP Connection icon
Then click the Advanced Settings button
Then click the Configure the ATM Virtual Circuit link you'll find the dsl settings

The speedstream 6300 can be configured to work like a access point

The picture of the lan configuration page you posted shows that the 6300 is running the factory firmware with no isp modifications

If you want to keep at this I think I can help you set the 6300 to work like a access point

The DHCP Relay can be used to pass dhcp info from the wan port to the lan ports

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to alyin

Premium Member

to alyin
said by alyin:

3. All of 5 ports won't talk to each other, in other words, it can not be used as a simple switch, that's why it can not assign an IP address to the computer connected.

The built in switch (aka all the LAN ports) cannot be disabled or suddenly stop working when you are using them with the DSL not connected to the WAN/DSL Port of the 6300. Something else is being missed or you are not moving the Ethernet cable from the other Modem/Router over to a LAN port as you would normally do when disabling the 6300's DHCP server so that another device can supply its own DHCP services.
alyin
Premium Member

alyin

Premium Member

said by Doctor Olds:

The built in switch (aka all the LAN ports) cannot be disabled or suddenly stop working when you are using them with the DSL not connected to the WAN/DSL Port of the 6300. Something else is being missed or you are not moving the Ethernet cable from the other Modem/Router over to a LAN port as you would normally do when disabling the 6300's DHCP server so that another device can supply its own DHCP services.

Here is what I have tried:
1. Reset the unit to factory default by press and hold the rest button for about 5-10 seconds while the power is on.
2. Connected my notebook which running XP pro to each port at once, including the WAN/LAN port, my notebook will obtain an IP address assigned by this SS6300.
3. Disabled the DHCP on the SS6300, set the IP address within the range of the main router, save the setting, then reboot the SS6300, plugged in a network cable from my main router into one of the LAN port (I tried each port, including the WAN/LAN port), my notebook will not be able to obtain an IP address from the main router.
4. I manually set my notebook IP address in the range of the main router, I can access both my main router and the SS6300, but still no internet connection established. If I plugged the network cable from the main router to my notebook, it will have internet connection.

So, anyone has any more idea?
alyin

alyin to wayjac

Premium Member

to wayjac
said by wayjac:

If you want to keep at this I think I can help you set the 6300 to work like a access point

The DHCP Relay can be used to pass dhcp info from the wan port to the lan ports

It will be much appreciated if you could help me.
I have try the DHCP relay, I put the relay ip as my default gateway ip address of my main router, and try some different ip address such as dns server ip from my isp, still no luck. the only thing i didn't touch, it's the isp connection settings, could it be the reason?
Looking forward to your solutions.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to alyin

MVM

to alyin
said by alyin:

4. I manually set my notebook IP address in the range of the main router, I can access both my main router and the SS6300, but still no internet connection established

This shows that you were very close to having the correct setup, seems like what was missing was using the main routers ip address as the dns and gateway ip address on the computer
alyin
Premium Member

alyin

Premium Member

said by wayjac:

said by alyin:

4. I manually set my notebook IP address in the range of the main router, I can access both my main router and the SS6300, but still no internet connection established

This shows that you were very close to having the correct setup, seems like what was missing was using the main routers ip address as the dns and gateway ip address on the computer

I have to correct the statement number 4, I can only access the SS6300, not my main router, when I manually set my notebook's IP address. So it still seems all the network ports won't talk to each other, the internet connection won't pass through to the SS6300.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Ok, I think you are thoroughly convinced that the suggested configuration won't work for you
So I'm done
alyin
Premium Member

alyin

Premium Member

said by wayjac:

Ok, I think you are thoroughly convinced that the suggested configuration won't work for you
So I'm done

Thank you for trying to help.
Here is another proof of the restrictions of this firmware, there is no way to change any ISP Connection settings, please refer to the attached file.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

You can post images to this thread as I have without requiring others to download files and open them with other programs

You are correct the 6300 page is missing a few options

Here's a page that has more links

Try using the url's on your 6300
just add the text to the 6300 ip address
/vcwizardj.cgi?code=HOME
/routestatsx.htm
/ddnscfg.htm
/lanwancfg.htm

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to alyin

Premium Member

to alyin
said by alyin:

Here is another proof of the restrictions of this firmware, there is no way to change any ISP Connection settings, please refer to the attached file.

Have you seen this?

»Easy way to access hidden pages in 6300/6520
alyin
Premium Member

alyin

Premium Member

said by Doctor Olds:

said by alyin:

Have you seen this?

»Easy way to access hidden pages in 6300/6520

Thank you very much for the info. I have not seen this info before, it seems I don't have to change the firmware, if I could access the settings.
alyin

alyin to wayjac

Premium Member

to wayjac
said by wayjac:

You can post images to this thread as I have without requiring others to download files and open them with other programs

You are correct the 6300 page is missing a few options
[att=1]
Here's a page that has more links
[att=2]
Try using the url's on your 6300
just add the text to the 6300 ip address
/vcwizardj.cgi?code=HOME
/routestatsx.htm
/ddnscfg.htm
/lanwancfg.htm

I can access the above pages, but there are no "Save" or "Apply" button for me to click. How can I save the change?

BTW, how did you put the picture or attachment inside the post?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Are you blocking JavaScript?

Are you using IE 7 or IE 8? Did you add the Modem IP (192.168.254.254 usually) to the Trusted Sites by it's IP?

Try using Firefox or SeaMonkey or Opera and make sure that you are allowing JavaScript.
Doctor Olds

Doctor Olds to alyin

Premium Member

to alyin
said by alyin:

how did you put the picture or attachment inside the post?

»Testing Forum FAQ »How do I post attachments & screen shots?