EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

In house payroll-Security questions

We do payroll in-house, recently a new paystub delivery system was introduced which I do not like, and therefor elected to continue to receive my stub on paper.
My issues are a few; a little breakdown of company:
Small IT dept (3 persons) who reports to us in finance.
Not one of the people are security experts.
Our accounting system has payroll, now the pay will be duplicated onto another server by way of email. I like my paper because I control it. I can burn it when I'm done, and not have to worry about anything other than the integrity of the accounting system which is pretty much offline.
The delivery system is an in-house MS exchange server spam control is 3rd party host.
The paystub is a passworded-protected pdf attached to an email.
I am going to find out a bit more, such as the procedure to create the passwords, and the creation of the pdf itself (for potential tmp file problems) and level of encryption.
What are the best practices that you're aware of for electronic payroll stubs?
Keep in mind payroll is 100% in house, and that will not change.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

Our payroll system is hosted by a third party. Users can log into that website to view pay stubs and W-2s if they wish, but for now we're still printing them. A timely e-mail with "your paystub is now available online" would probably be better than e-mail attachments, in my opinion.

tekmunki
Tekmunki
Premium Member
join:2001-12-06
Lake City, FL

tekmunki to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

We do payroll in-house, recently a new paystub delivery system was introduced which I do not like, and therefor elected to continue to receive my stub on paper.
My issues are a few; a little breakdown of company:
Small IT dept (3 persons) who reports to us in finance.
Not one of the people are security experts.
Our accounting system has payroll, now the pay will be duplicated onto another server by way of email. I like my paper because I control it. I can burn it when I'm done, and not have to worry about anything other than the integrity of the accounting system which is pretty much offline.
The delivery system is an in-house MS exchange server spam control is 3rd party host.
The paystub is a passworded-protected pdf attached to an email.
I am going to find out a bit more, such as the procedure to create the passwords, and the creation of the pdf itself (for potential tmp file problems) and level of encryption.
What are the best practices that you're aware of for electronic payroll stubs?
Keep in mind payroll is 100% in house, and that will not change.

I personally wouldn't do anything payroll related through Exchange.

Email isn't really something you want to be putting confidential data into, although with a properly configured Exchange box you do have an SSL connection / certificates, but once it leaves your network- even via OWA you lose control over it.

If you must keep it in-house, I would certainly look into some of the turnkey web based solutions and keep it accessible via intranet or via SSL and a third party authentication such as an authenticator, smartcard, or phone auth.

You can find an outsourced web-based management that will take on the risks and liability for you via contract, keeping the 'work' in-house and the liability off of you. I believe Intuit and Quicken both have SMB solutions reasonably. As well, large banks like BoA have integrated payroll systems and online access to records interfaces for employees.

Not to mention these solutions make tax time super-easy for your finance dept.

You can even find a solution like sage that integrates the entire HR/Payroll experience for your employees very nicely.

»www.sageabra.com/product ··· services

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Interesting idea for web-based intranet solution(s).
Thank you.