spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fotomatt1

join:2007-11-07
New York, NY

FiOS installation in my NYC apartment building....

I came home yesterday to an exciting letter being posted in my lobby....fibre optic installation begins next tuesday for FiOS! I'm just curious how long it might take for Verizon to actually complete an installation, and how soon after that I can order? I miss my FiOS from when i was on Long Island and am ecstatic that it's coming to my building in NYC!!

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
From the time the contractor began laying in contuit, thru the time that the VZ linemen and splicers finished their work and ending with the time the VZ engineer approved our co-op for service took 3 to 4 months. Our co-op is comprised of two buildings and a total of 80 units. Your milage may vary.

marc3565

join:2009-10-08
If they are dropping letters to tenants that could mean they are doing the internal drops to each unit...

Was the letter generic advertising or a warning they might enter premises to do the work?..

It might be a bit further along in the steps if they are dropping lines into apartments. No way to tell exact time frame though.

fotomatt1

New York, NY
They put a letter under our doors advising that there will be noise from drilling in the fire stairs. My guess is that the fibre is already in the building and that they're pulling cable to each individual floor. According to our building super, they'll be in our building for the next three weeks. I'm hoping that the testing phase after that is pretty quick so I can drop TWC!

lijacobs

Lawrence, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
The contractor that is working for VZ in your building is only placing conduit, not fiber. After the contractor is finished, in a few weeks after that, VZ linemen will run fiber from the street to central locations in your building. A few weeks after that VZ splicers will install termination equipment onto the fiber in your building and will splice the fiber feed which serves your building to the fiber termination equipment in the street. A few weeks after that the VZ engineer will approve your building for service. As each, individual apartment owner orders FiOS a VZ installation tech. will finally place fiber into the conduit that serves that apartment, probably on the day of installation. As I said previously, it can take quite some time to finally be able to order FiOS after receiving the notices that you mentioned.

fotomatt1

New York, NY
reply to fotomatt1
Well....conduit is in all the way up to the 21st floor, and the plywood is on the wall in the basement where everything will be home-run to, so I'm assuming the next step is bringing the cable from the street. Hopefully that will happen soon! I feel like I'm on the home stretch! So happy to say goodbye to TWC!

Anybody know what kind of DVR boxes they're giving out in NYC now? I had the Moto 6416 when I lived on LI.

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY
reply to fotomatt1
take some photo's bro

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to fotomatt1
Yes, photos please

deannnnn

@comcast.net
reply to fotomatt1
Ahh, I'm so jealous. I don't think FiOS will ever make it to my NYC apartment.

fotomatt1

New York, NY
reply to Jackarino
I'll try and take some photos soon...have to do it at night when the super and doormen aren't around.....they're very protective of the building and I know they'll ask me what I'm doing if I start snapping photos in the basement and service hallways.

There's one wrinkle now.....apparently there is a dispute over who is going to pay for the wire moulding in the hallways. Verizon says the building has to pay for it, and the building says Verizon should pay, so now they're at a stand still until they can iron that out. Our building says that unless Verizon pays for the moulding, they're not going to let them go forward with the wiring even though all of the conduit is in already. My guess is that Verizon will cave because the cost isn't that high and they'll make it back. I'm sure they don't want to throw away the money they already spent.

lijacobs

Lawrence, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by fotomatt1:

There's one wrinkle now.....apparently there is a dispute over who is going to pay for the wire moulding in the hallways.

During discussions with VZ's engineer concerning their deployment in our co-op he suggested wire mouldings in our hallways as his preferred method. VZ was to pay for the installation of the mouldings. In the end we decided on an alternate method, however the entire cost was on Verizon.

fotomatt1

New York, NY
I know....when I lived in a co-op in Hewlett VZ paid for the entire installation but according to the building super they're not willing to here. Maybe someone's not telling the truth.

GerardFIOS

@mindspring.com
reply to deannnnn
Verizon will do lots of MDU's in New York City.

Rental buildings may have owners who lock in the contracts to other providers.

However many buildings have RCN + Time Warner available in Manhattan. Considering the advances in technology, unless you have a super strict building, or live in a rental building, most buildings which are tenant owned and occupied such as Co-ops and condominiums will get FIOS especially the larger buildings.

Verizon by 2014 with FIOS is more than likely to regain their marketshare back as once again being the preeminent carrier just like they did with their Verizon wireless division in the New York City region.

I spoke with the MDU department and got the ball rolling on my own building as FIOS is starting to make its way through. the area.

I spoke with Time Warner to get my own signal fixed and got a truck roll scheduled.

To wire up a large MDU shouldn't take super long at all. The technology has evolved to the point in time where you can get bendable corning fiber optics throughout the MDU and not have to worry and its very thin and they only have to connect each unit upon ordering.

If FIOS is in the area and is ground level the installation in the building itself shouldn't take 3-4 months. All they are doing is stringing cable up through the building using existing conduits or whatnot. There are large MDUs with lots of stories already with FIOS.

NYCFIOS

@mindspring.com
Some buildings that are architecturally significant could decide not to allow FIOS or some exclusive co-ops especially in the more uppity areas because of damage or noise concerns.

But in most cases Verizon will get paid back more in revenue for installation than the initial cost.

So Verizon will likely win back their Marketshare in the NYC Metro area as the FIOS franchise agreement winds down for 2014.

fotomatt1

New York, NY
My building is definitely not architecturally significant, especially in the hallways. It is a beautiful prewar building, however the hallways are old and nothing special. As far as I've been told the argument is strictly about the cost, and that VZ says the building should pay for the wiremould, and vice versa. I sure hope they get it resolved soon, as VZ has spent a ton of $ installing the conduit. All that's left is pulling cable and testing. I want TWC gone!! They're the worst!

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fotomatt1
said by fotomatt1:

Anybody know what kind of DVR boxes they're giving out in NYC now? I had the Moto 6416 when I lived on LI.

I've had FiOS for a little over a month now. I have the Moto 7232-2 box.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

fotomatt1

New York, NY
reply to fotomatt1
Still no progress beyond conduit being placed in my building. Apparently my building and verizon are still arguing over wire moulding and until they get that resolved, who knows how long it will take. Verizon still says 6-12 months when I call, but that seems crazy since they've done all that work in my building so far. Ughh!

bob1954

join:2000-03-31
Hackensack, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
When through that same problem when they were installing FIOS in my building...After they get the molding resolved, then about week to 2 weeks they will start to bringing in the fiber after that is done, they will start to snake the fiber between the floors and after that about another 2 weeks goes by and they will install the boxes in the closets on each floor... After this is done then they will send inspectors in to check the work.. The longest wait will be for Verizon to impute the info of each apartment into there system which I think took about 1 month after all work was done...

fotomatt1

New York, NY
It's already been almost a month since they ran the conduit so I hope they get the molding issue straightened out soon so they can proceed. My building super seems to think it will be done by September, which means they better get moving soon! I cannot drop TWC fast enough!

bob1954

join:2000-03-31
Hackensack, NJ
I really do understand as I was in your situation 1 1/2 months ago..It will well worth it since you have TWC...Bob...

fotomatt1

New York, NY
reply to fotomatt1
Just wish there was a way to find out from VZ what the schedule is. I've talked to them three times now and they've promised me a call back both times....no luck. I wish my management company didn't send around a flyer to tell us that FiOS was coming...then I wouldn't be so anxious!

Eddy120876

Bronx, NY
reply to deannnnn
Hey Dean they better bring it to your apartment bro. Remember Mayor Bloomberg made Verizon wired all NYC before 2014. So if your scumlord says no then contact Verizon

deannnnn

join:2011-07-12
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I haven't asked him about it, maybe I should. My building is medium sized... Like 5 floors and maybe 50 units. We are right next to a Verizon building on 2nd Avenue and I see VZW loading FiOS equipment into their trucks every morning. I know it's available at the street level, but there's no sign of any plans to actually install in my building.

I wish there was a way to check.

Eddy120876

Bronx, NY
Then Ask VZ and your ScumLord if they are working into letting FIOS in.