uniqs
share rss forum feed

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

1 edit
reply to DannyCal1987

Re: New Prices, New Bundles, Unlimited Bandwidth

Standalone packages will remain available through 2012, however all all new packages will include personal TV starting at $84.90. And the date told to us in the meeting was slipped that it was June 7th, 2011 unless I heard wrong.

Also visit »shaw.ca/newpackages/?WT.mc_id=C995A2047S98 to see the actual product, as the OP's info is a little confusing.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to DannyCal1987

Honestly, looking at these caps, as somebody stuck with Bell and Rogers... they're pretty good for an incumbent. It's just too bad the Unlimited Option is only available if you bundle it with TV, but unfortunately that's just Shaw trying to protect their business.
--
Rob Ford, Check. Stephen Harper, Check. Tim Hudak, October.
Ontario can lead again - Tim Hudak and the Ontario PC Party in 2011

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to noUBB

said by noUBB :

Sorry Danny but I read the pdf and I don't see UBB anywhere.

On the current plans they will use the same policy as now - which is to contact people who go over the limit and ask them to manage their usage or upgrade packages. No UBB.

On the new packages they will upgrade to the next higher package if you go over. No UBB.

And they have new packages that are UNLIMITED. No UBB.

Sorry, my name still stands. NO UBB!

In 2012 they will implement a semi auto upgrade system that notifies the user, they are still working on the details. They call it Bump Up right now but won't launch till 2012.
Expand your moderator at work

adiabatic

join:2009-01-24
Victoria, BC
reply to DannyCal1987

Re: New Prices, New Bundles, Unlimited Bandwidth

Details are now on the Shaw site. "New Internet Packages".

Roofer

join:2010-11-24
reply to DannyCal1987

This is very confusing. I am going to spend some time analyzing it before deciding whether we have "won the UBB battle" or not.

HDman50

join:2010-12-22

1 edit

I do not see what is confusing with the info. Shaw just opened a world of hurt on Telus, the 250mbps plan from Shaw is 10 times faster that anything Telus offers. The caps are really good seems like Shaw really listened to what people were saying, doing something about it and that something wipes the floor compared to anyone else out there.

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to Roofer

said by Roofer:

This is very confusing. I am going to spend some time analyzing it before deciding whether we have "won the UBB battle" or not.

Ask your questions here some of us may have asked the same questions at the meeting that you may have.

Speed bot

join:2010-10-30
canada
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to HDman50

said by HDman50:

I do not see what is confusing with the info. Shaw just opened a world of hurt on Telus, the 250mbps plan from Shaw is 25 times faster that anything Telus offers. The caps are really good seems like Shaw really listened to what people were saying, doing something about it and that something wipes the floor compared to anyone else out there.

Novus better step up.....

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to HDman50

said by HDman50:

I do not see what is confusing with the info. Shaw just opened a world of hurt on Telus, the 250mbps plan from Shaw is 25 times faster that anything Telus offers. The caps are really good seems like Shaw really listened to what people were saying, doing something about it and that something wipes the floor compared to anyone else out there.

We gave Shaw a nice round of applause at the meeting....

P.S. I did raise the issue with Mr. Gardner of Non Shaw customers not being able to get their emails to Shaw customers because the spam filtering and not having a viable avenue where they could actually get a resolution for legitimate emails getting filtered out by the Shaw Spam filter because the 3rd party filter email resolution address doesn't respond or resolve the issue.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to DannyCal1987

so how do those prices work? It includes basic tv as well? Right now I split my service between shaw/telus. Internet/Phone through telus, tv through shaw (basic tv plus hd plus).

So for my 25mbps I pay 63, plus about 60 on shaw for the basic plus hd plus package. so 123 a month. So I could get basic tv plus unlimited internet for 144.90 from shaw (or is it 119?). IF its the 119 it might be worth it. I'd be more then sufficient on the 750gb package though.

I'll probably stick on telus until I figure out how it works a bit better. What happened to Shaw being worred about bandwidth use? And don't they already have congested node issues? How do they expect to solve that with more bandwidth use?

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB

said by zod5000:

so how do those prices work? It includes basic tv as well? Right now I split my service between shaw/telus. Internet/Phone through telus, tv through shaw (basic tv plus hd plus).

So for my 25mbps I pay 63, plus about 60 on shaw for the basic plus hd plus package. so 123 a month. So I could get basic tv plus unlimited internet for 144.90 from shaw (or is it 119?). IF its the 119 it might be worth it. I'd be more then sufficient on the 750gb package though.

I'll probably stick on telus until I figure out how it works a bit better. What happened to Shaw being worred about bandwidth use? And don't they already have congested node issues? How do they expect to solve that with more bandwidth use?

They were able to triple the bandwidth available by moving all TV signals to Digital, and in some instances it was 10 fold iirc what they said at the meeting.

P.S. $104.90 on the 750 GB for Internet and Personal TV which include 13 HD channels. »shaw.ca/newpackages/?WT.mc_id=C995A2047S98

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
reply to DannyCal1987

If this is true, then damn it i have to take back everything i thought about shaw....

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB

said by xtachx:

If this is true, then damn it i have to take back everything i thought about shaw....

I'm sorry but I have to rotflol!!!

xtachx

canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by pkarlos_76:

said by xtachx:

No really - I mean it. The price is right, the speed and caps are right and you have unlimited for heavy users.

By the way did I mention this will kill telus??
--
If the CRTC were Environment Canada, we would probably be required to eat toxic waste for breakfast once per week. There wouldn't be a good reason for doing it; we'd just have to. (torontoist.com)

Save the internet in canada!!
»stopubb.ca/

BubbaBrewski

join:2011-02-01
Welland, ON
reply to pkarlos_76

I was really scared what Shaw was going to do with their pricing and packages, but I think for the most part they did a pretty good job, and the 250mbps packages look especially tasty. However, who in their right mind would ever choose the 1 mbps unlimited lite package? Even if you were to continuously run at peak speeds and downloaded 24/7 for an entire month your usage would still not reach the cap offered by the equally priced and far faster broadband 50 package (320GB vs 400GB).

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to xtachx

said by xtachx:

said by pkarlos_76:

said by xtachx:

No really - I mean it. The price is right, the speed and caps are right and you have unlimited for heavy users.

By the way did I mention this will kill telus??

I'm sure Telus will find a way to compete, if they don't it would be near suicide for them.

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to BubbaBrewski

said by BubbaBrewski:

I was really scared what Shaw was going to do with their pricing and packages, but I think for the most part they did a pretty good job, and the 250mbps packages look especially tasty. However, who in their right mind would ever choose the 1 mbps unlimited lite package? Even if you were to continuously run at peak speeds and downloaded 24/7 for an entire month your usage would still not reach the cap offered by the equally priced and far faster broadband 50 package (320GB vs 400GB).

Thats mainly for those I use just email and web browsing people.

xtachx

canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to pkarlos_76

said by pkarlos_76:

I'm sure Telus will find a way to compete, if they don't it would be near suicide for them.

Well telus can do a max of 30 - 50 Mbps as of now in most areas, and 100 in some areas. However their old Nokia D500 gear can do 15 mbps barely...

quantumfluxx3

join:2009-01-11
reply to DannyCal1987

Well I must say, I recently switched to Shaw when they boosted the 15mbit extreme package to 25mbit, I'm currently on their introductory pricing of 29.99/mo for first 6 months. I was a bit worried at first that switching from my unlimited teksavvy dsl for shaw was going to possibly bite me in my arse when Shaw finally announced their UBB plans, but I have to say I am quite impressed. Bumping this package from 100gb to 250gb was fantastic.

Bell is going to have to do a bit of adjusting, their 25Mbit package only comes with 75GB/mo of usage. That's quite the disparity. Though I know Telus is Shaw's bigger competitor I suppose out west, I'm in Hamilton Ontario, so really in this city Bell just got their collective asses handed to them.

250gb is a much more reasonable cap to start with, I'll probably not go over that very often if ever.

Thumbs up Shaw, color me impressed.

zod5000

Victoria, BC
reply to DannyCal1987

does shaw still throttle upload? that was one other thing I like more about telus.

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB

I brought this up, seems a sore issue with Shaw, on the sideline after the meeting he said there are a lot of myths out there and they face a lot of flak from the regulatory agencies about it if they aren't honest about it.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to DannyCal1987

Only way TELUS will be able to compete with this is via upstream.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

zod5000

Victoria, BC
reply to DannyCal1987

and whats the diff between legacy tv and personal tv (spp)?

ShawCustomer

@shawcable.net

Awesome. Where Do I sign up doc?

Ommina

join:2006-08-28
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

I'm wondering this also.

Further, when it says "add $59.00", add 59.00 to... what? The TV price ?

Was there anything said about when the revised values for the current plans go into effect? Also early June ? What happens to current plan customers who go over? (No, I don't expect to go over 250, but I'm still curious what the procedure is.)

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB

said by Ommina:

said by zod5000:

I'm wondering this also.

Further, when it says "add $59.00", add 59.00 to... what? The TV price ?

Was there anything said about when the revised values for the current plans go into effect? Also early June ? What happens to current plan customers who go over? (No, I don't expect to go over 250, but I'm still curious what the procedure is.)

They'll consult with you one on one, and discuss whether is a need or if its a one time thing based on history from what I gathered or discuss whether you should move to a different plan. And as for add $59 its to the standalone TV package price.

Shaw_Nick

join:2011-05-24

1 recommendation

reply to zod5000

Hi all,

Wanted to join the conversation here. My name is Nick and I was one of the Shaw leaders in the Vancouver session. I'm going to try to answer as many questions as I can here as well as help communicate your feedback.

Couple things that stand out so far. Personal TV is the TV offered in our new Shaw plan personalizer. Legacy TV is the old packaging which is certainly still available. We heard the feedback regarding standalone packaging from our sessions today. There is lots of value in the new packaging but we are certainly listening!

Also wanted to emphasize that we are making this possible by converting our analog "tier" services to digital. This is a massive undertaking starting in August of this year. The 50 and 100 packages will launch in June with the 250 Mb package launching neighborhood by neighborhood as we convert our analog customers.

Love the energy here. Please keep the questions coming.

Nick

Speed bot

join:2010-10-30
canada

1 edit

@Shaw_Nick

Was going to comment, but I will see were this goes...It's been a while since a Rep poked their head in here.

PCWiz75

join:2009-04-07
Calgary, AB
reply to Shaw_Nick

So if I'm currently on the 25 /2.5 package and want to switch to the 50 / 3 or 100 / 5 package in June, I would need to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, right? As of now I have a DOCSIS 2.0 modem so can I just call SHAW tomorrow and request one as I'm sure by the time June comes around the DOCSIS 3.0 modems will be in short supply...