Modemless
@bigpipeinc.com

Modemless to pkarlos_76

Anon

to pkarlos_76

Re: New Prices, New Bundles, Unlimited Bandwidth

said by pkarlos_76:

said by Modemless :

Why is the new CISCO modem supposed to be better than the current offering (Other than brand)? Better speed?

Too many nightmares on other ISP's........that why people are afraid to use it on Shaw, of course Shaw's a little different then other ISP's and limit their network and hardware to make it work to a few modems. While I have no experience with the SMC modem, I believe Shaw does a better job integrating modems and their firmware with their backend hardware as compared to other ISP's. Yes, modems should meet a standard specification but there are always slight differences in how its done from one manufacturer to another.

In that case I will simply have to wait. I have no desire to ride on 3rd rate hardware especially with the prospect of real speed advances becoming available to us. I'm also running a Cisco business class router so chances of problems should be slightly less. Hopefully the new Cisco hardware is out soon. I will be moving from Extreme to 100.

I'd also like to than Shaw for offering reasonable packages that don't require their television package. I'm happy with their phone and internet but love my satellite

Rivalman
Rival
join:2004-01-18

Rivalman

Any new information as to when the Cisco gear will be available?

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to banko

to banko
said by banko :

@SHAWSEAN

I got home and it seems to be working now on both IE and FF. It looks like it was some sort of maintenance Shaw was working on today. Other than that i dont know how else a whole "Usage" submenu would dissapear in the main Internet menu.

How long after you changed your packaging did you check your usage? it might have been the system populating the new packaging through your online customer care account.

regardless, i'm happy to hear it's working now.
ShawSean

ShawSean to dramzen

to dramzen
said by dramzen:

Can I get a Shaw employee to help me out here?

The install guy just left. The internet and tv both seem to be working fine. What's not fine is that I had to pay $200 for the HD box. It was that or rent it for $5/month. Not even rent-to-own. Just pay indefinitely.

Obviously not the guy's fault since he's just following the instructions he got which is why we paid but everyone on this forum and even on the Shaw personalizer tells me that the HD box is included. Was I just lied to repeatedly or are the person we spoke to on the phone yesterday, the install guy, and the papers he brought with him incorrect?

I'm certainly hoping it's the latter.

Hey dramzen,

Just pm me your account details and we'll get in touch to sort this out.
narci9
join:2007-09-11
Canada

narci9 to dramzen

to dramzen
Sound slike someone is skimming extra cash.
dramzen
join:2010-09-30

dramzen to DannyCal1987

to DannyCal1987
Alright someone from Shaw called and we got it all fixed. They added the $200 as a credit to the account and the box is a free rental for 3 years. It'll probably be worth like $25 in 2014 so I can easily buy it then if I want. I'm sure there will be much better technology out by then though. :P

Thanks a lot shawsean.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

said by dramzen:

Alright someone from Shaw called and we got it all fixed. They added the $200 as a credit to the account and the box is a free rental for 3 years. It'll probably be worth like $25 in 2014 so I can easily buy it then if I want. I'm sure there will be much better technology out by then though. :P

Thanks a lot shawsean.

No problem dramzen, glad we got it sorted out

banko
@telus.net

banko

Anon

Well i paid almost 300$ for my HD terminal and it did not even have the hard drive inside to record TV shows. Was i suppose to get it for free ?
saberon6
join:2011-05-27

saberon6 to DannyCal1987

to DannyCal1987
Ughh what model of Non PVR HD box did you pay $300 for?!?

If you are on Shaw Plan Personalizer you can get 1 HD (DCX 3200) box for free rental. Retails at $200

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to Modemless

to Modemless
They have standalone packages for $10 less, reason is it is only $10 is the digital bandwidth that is allowing for the increased bandwidth and data caps.
pkarlos_76

pkarlos_76 to banko

to banko
said by banko :

Well i paid almost 300$ for my HD terminal and it did not even have the hard drive inside to record TV shows. Was i suppose to get it for free ?

If its a 3200 model and you are on the SPP Broadband XXX package with TV, then yes.

banko
@telus.net

banko

Anon

NO. Im on the Basic HD TV or whatever its called + BB50...
banko

banko

Anon

More like im on Legacy TV + my recent switch to BB50. Therefore, im paying 10$ extra per month compared to my previous Extreme package for a total of 109$ after tax for TV/Internet.
banko

banko

Anon

Actually i did switch to SPP+ BB50 for about 15 minutes, than my sister came back from and almost murdered me for not having her channels so i had to contact SHaw again and reverse this SPP for the Legacy/Basic HD TV package and swallow the $10/month hike in my monthly bill.

personalizer
@shawcable.net

personalizer to DannyCal1987

Anon

to DannyCal1987
If I already switched to the personal plan (extreme, home phone, and tv) for $99. Can I cross upgrade to Broadband 50 for no extra cost?
saberon6
join:2011-05-27

saberon6

Absolutely yes personalizer...or Broadband 100 for $10/more month

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to banko

to banko
said by banko :

NO. Im on the Basic HD TV or whatever its called + BB50...

Then NO, You need to get Personal TV!!!!
RoninTech
join:2004-07-24
De Winton, AB

RoninTech to DannyCal1987

to DannyCal1987
Hi,

I currently have an old SOHO account as I used to run a business website from my home. Don't do that any longer and would like to sign up for BB50 and Basic phone. What would my monthly cost be?
jaig58
join:2011-06-19
New Westminster, BC

jaig58 to noUBB

to noUBB
UBB , no UBB, Doesn't Matter @noUBB and @DannyCalgary

Same outcome, You Use More -> You PAY More !!!! Sounds good to me.
I'm not a high user, but people paying the same as me, $39 /Month for High Speed internet, downloading 300-600 GB was crap. Now they're at least paying $10-$70 More Than Me, to Shaw each Month, hopefully causing Shaw not to increase the price of My internet too much in the next couple years.
treebeard4
join:2011-04-18

treebeard4

FYI Jaig58
It only costs an isp pennies per GB for each user. Making the high users pay more doesn't make them use less or magically make your node less congested.

someshawguy
@shawcable.net

someshawguy to jaig58

Anon

to jaig58
said by jaig58:

hopefully causing Shaw not to increase the price of My internet too much in the next couple years.

This is perhaps the most dumbest post I've ever read.

tanker
@telus.net

tanker

Anon

Jaig, I am paying 10$ extra per month for double the speed of my internet, not for the stupid 400GB monthly limit. When i want to downlaod things i want them faster. I've just checked my monthly caps and i average around 100GB per month for the last 5 months, why would i want to go to BB50 for the monthly cap ?

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT to DannyCal1987

to DannyCal1987
I was paying $56 a month to Telus for my 15 Mbit connection. I am now paying $62 for my BB50 plan. I feel sorry for those that haven't done the switch over yet.

AlphaPenguin
@shawcable.net

AlphaPenguin

Anon

I have kind of a conundrum, just switched from telus 15 to shaw 50, so everything should be awesome right? and it almost is, except i'm noticing a 20-30 ms latency increase across the board to pretty much anywhere in the US over what I had with telus. Which is not optimal as I like to play online games i'm actually having a lot more trouble deciding between a 3x speed increase over a 20 ms latency increase than I would have thought I would.
DannyCalgary
join:2011-01-19
Calgary, AB

DannyCalgary

Yea for sure, telus will always be lower latency is seems. What online games are you playing though?

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

said by DannyCalgary:

Yea for sure, telus will always be lower latency is seems. What online games are you playing though?

I wonder if Shaw can optimize their DNS routing to provide lower latency in anyway? I'm sure they are constantly doing this, but who knows.
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

Latency is definitely laggin on Shaw. I used Novus in 2009, and played in an open AlienWare tournament for Left 4 Dead 2. I'm afraid that if I had Shaw, I would not have been able to get as far in the tournament as with Novus. Competitive multiplayer benefits enormously from lower ping. My average ping to west coast servers on Novus was below 20ms, all the way to LA. 6ms to Seattle. Here on Shaw, I get 80ms to LA and 40ms to Seattle.
And I'm definitely seeing that my game responds "like in a stasis field" compared to Novus, which felt like playing on a local machine.

AlphaPenguin
@shawcable.net

AlphaPenguin to DannyCalgary

Anon

to DannyCalgary
said by DannyCalgary:

Well so far i've noticed i'm getting around 70-80 ms to chicago and Seattle, which is where the servers I usually play TF2, MNC and bad company 2 are i used to get 40-50ish to them, My ping in Aion jumped from mid 70's to 150, that really doesn't matter much because it's an mmo though, although the increase is pretty shocking.

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to ilianame

to ilianame
said by ilianame:

Latency is definitely laggin on Shaw. I used Novus in 2009, and played in an open AlienWare tournament for Left 4 Dead 2. I'm afraid that if I had Shaw, I would not have been able to get as far in the tournament as with Novus. Competitive multiplayer benefits enormously from lower ping. My average ping to west coast servers on Novus was below 20ms, all the way to LA. 6ms to Seattle. Here on Shaw, I get 80ms to LA and 40ms to Seattle.
And I'm definitely seeing that my game responds "like in a stasis field" compared to Novus, which felt like playing on a local machine.

Isn't Novus FFTH? FTTH by definition of its technology will get better latency.

AlphaPenguin
@shawcable.net

AlphaPenguin

Anon

Why would FFTH be significantly better than non? Doing a quick tracert is showing me 5 ms before i'm on shaws backbone, which should be fiber anyway, so ffth might cut that to 2 or 3 ms, but it's hardly a significant difference unless i'm missing something?